PDA

View Full Version : Struggeling to make tables do what I want with modifiers an getting the output

akalars
March 16th, 2016, 13:32
Trying to make a system of tables to roll the amount of available freight at a given starport. I got two issues at the moment that I hope is solvable.

Steps in the process.
1 - Chose the die modefiers.
2 - This table is only to trigger rolls on two different tables
3 - Example of one of the tables triggered in nr 2. I would like the die modifiers to be added to all rolls at this level, but I'm unable to do that. They are only added at the first step. Is this possible, how?
4 - Sub table
5 - Result

I would like to have the result come out with a random description of what the cargo contains, so I attemptet what is in nr 6
6 - different version of nr 4
7 - the result I get. Is almost what I'm looking for but I would like to have it all on one line and not spread out over three lines. Is this possible, how?

For the first problem I have a workaround:
Skip table 1, then make the select modifiers, roll table 2, then go back select modifiers again and roll on the other table. Not quite as automagical as I would like, and the output is put in two different stories.

Nylanfs
March 16th, 2016, 14:16
Welcome to the FG community and forums, this should be posted to the Corerpg section so you get better response, the common's just a kind of general chit-chat grab all section.

Somebody with more knowledge of tables should be along.

Zacchaeus
March 16th, 2016, 16:25
I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to do but a couple of things might help.

If you want a modifier then you'll need to include that in the dice rolls. So you can have an entry such as [1d6+2] or [1d10-3]. I don't think there's a way to tell a table to use an external modifier but I could be wrong.

As regards output each table outputs to a different line. You can mitigate your output from table 6 by including everything on one column e.g 1 ton of [Cargo Type] instead of splitting it over two columns. This will still output over two lines but it will look better than 3.

Other than that I'm not sure.

akalars
March 16th, 2016, 16:38
I don't think there's a way to tell a table to use an external modifier but I could be wrong.

If I click the modifiers then click on roll for a table the moddifiers is applied to the first roll done on the table, but noen of the subsequent ones.

The tables use a list of modifiers where it is situation dependent which ones applies. So I can't add them staticaly into the table, I have to select them just before rolling. For instance: If the players is on a fancy starport then +3, if the players are on a frontier starport then -2, it the planet har alot of people then +2. So not just do I have to chose them based on situation, but more than one may apply at any given time.

As regards output each table outputs to a different line. You can mitigate your output from table 6 by including everything on one column e.g 1 ton of [Cargo Type] instead of splitting it over two columns. This will still output over two lines but it will look better than 3.

This is one step in the right direction, thank you :) Still not perfect, but better.

Mortar
March 24th, 2016, 04:30
To get it one line, do what Zacc suggested and output it into the same column and try dropping the "of". The "of" is actually added orally, but if you look at a cargo manifest (sort of what you are thinking of here) its just not there.

Typically you see columns: "a" number, "b" item, "c" destination, etc.

You naturally read it as "a" of "b" going to/headed for "c"