PDA

View Full Version : Playing with myself... Questions about solo play using FG...

Entropi
March 15th, 2016, 04:12
Greetings and salutations.

I have a full license for Fantasy Grounds, and have physical copies of the core rulebooks (PHB, DMG, MM), as well as the starter set and Hoard of the Dragon Queen. I'm an experienced player, having started with the old Moldvay Basic and Expert sets in middle school, then AD&D, then 2E, 3.5, a bit of 4E and now 5E. I was a DM of a large, open world style FR campaign in 1E and 2E, with multiple groups (and a few one-on-one players). So far, I love everything about 5E. To me, it seems like a throwback to the old-school D&D I used to play twenty-some years ago... AND it's set in the FR, my favorite setting. After the MMO-style 4E, which I never completely warmed up to, 5E feels like home.

Sadly, life being life, it's no longer possible for me to play with all my old buddies. I am no longer in touch with most of them, and those that I do talk to have, like myself, settled down and have families. Gone are the all-nighters of having my buddies over to my apartment for all-night (and sometimes all the next day) sessions of pizza, bong-hits, and D&D. Enter Fantasy Grounds...

So... what I want to do is make a party of 3-4 characters and play through HotDQ solo. I realize solo play is not the optimal way to play D&D, but I'm still keen on doing it. I don't want to join a group of strangers, as I've always been the DM and would prefer to DM myself then just play a single character. And I cannot (and don't want to) commit to DMing a group of strangers on FG.

So my question is... can FG accomodate me? I really do not want to have to run both the player client and DM client at the same time, and have to keep switching between the two. Is it possible to play solo, both as player(s) and DM, using just the DM client? I don't mind using the player client to create my characters (or can I do that in the DM client?), but during play I really don't want to have two clients running and constantly switch between the two - that just seems like a PITA, like it might end up being more trouble than it's worth. I can always just do this using pencil and paper, but I really do like FG and the many conveniences it would provide for me.

I'm willing to purchase the (expensive) official FG modules to do this, provided it's feasible. I think I will need, at the minimum, the complete class pack, as well as the HotDQ module, and am willing to purchase the DMG and MM later if necessary. However, I don't want to spend the money and then find that there are unforeseen (by me) obstacles to playing solo, so I'm looking for input from those who are better versed in the capabilities of the software than I.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

Hector Trelane
March 15th, 2016, 04:29
I think you can play solo from the DM/GM client--DMs/GMs can access PC sheets at all times (and edit them).

But don't write off group play just yet. Plenty of sessions you can join in just a few weekends at FGCon8 -- see event list here, including a ton of 5E and Pathfinder: https://www.fg-con.com/events

You can kick the tires both on the software and group play at the same time. (If you're like most people, you may find you're compatible with some players, and others ... are looking for different thing.)

gqwebb
March 15th, 2016, 05:17
Yes, works just fine in solo. And you have enough desktop space to have a dm session and client session running. Or you could could just do it all from the dm side. That is what I do to host a game at a table. I manage all the game stuff from my dm session.

Entropi
March 15th, 2016, 22:16
Thanks for the info.

I went ahead and purchased the official PHB, DMG, MM, and HotDQ modules. I then set up a new campaign. From the DM client, I went to the PC's button and started to create my first PC. I chose race, class, background, name, and skills. I rolled up my ability scores on paper with physical dice. But I can't figure out how to edit the character's ability scores. His sheet shows all scores of 10, except for the +2 CHA for being a half-elf. How can I put the ability scores I rolled into the character sheet?

Trenloe
March 15th, 2016, 22:19
How can I put the ability scores I rolled into the character sheet?
Click on the individual ability score field and type in the number.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Add_Ability_Scores

Entropi
March 15th, 2016, 22:29
Okay, I'm an idiot.

That was the first thing I tried, but I guess I was expecting a text cursor or dialogue box to come up when I clicked the field. When there was no acknowledgement of my click, I thought it didn't work, and didn't type anything. Double-clicking rolled an ability check and rt-clicking brought up the options for closing the character sheet. Just tried again and it worked just as you say. Sorry for the stupid question (although I can't guarantee there won't be more to come).

Nylanfs
March 15th, 2016, 23:56
I believe you can also just drag the value you rolled into the correct box can't you?

Entropi
March 16th, 2016, 00:29
Maybe. I was using offline physical dice though. I like rolling up my ability scores the ol' fashioned way.

gqwebb
March 16th, 2016, 02:39
I have to give solo a try on my conversion of B1 to see if it is balanced right. I am thinking it would be fun to go against the dice!

Welcome to the addiction ;)

damned
March 16th, 2016, 07:05
You will prolly have plenty of other Doh! moments. Most of us do. Somethings are not immediately intuitive or we try and over complicate things. Ask questions without fear :)

ctcharger
March 17th, 2016, 02:35
May want to consider play by post roleplaying also. It is obviously slower than real time tabletop but you can play it when you have time, can have deeper content, and play with people all over the world.

drakonin
March 17th, 2016, 16:34
I run a typing only campaign, FG helps with the drag and drop story text. This allows me to play with strangers and no one feels akward, going on for 7 months or so and now we are facebook friends and may move on to playing via skype or at the very least a VOIP. Put yourself out there and see what happens :)

Mirkeeper
December 22nd, 2016, 04:36
I went ahead and purchased the official PHB, DMG, MM, and HotDQ modules. I then set up a new campaign.

Entropi, curious to see how/whether FG worked out well for you. I am going through somewhat similar thought process as in your OP and curious for any pointers of what to expect and what to keep an eye for.. thanks in advance.

Myrdin Potter
December 22nd, 2016, 05:44
Entropi - a little over a year ago, I decided it was time my old gaming group played together. We lived scattered all over the place and had jobs and kids, but I found I was able to get 5 of them to commit to once a week for 3 hours as long as we all were reasonable about people missing sessions every once and a while. I got the Ultimate license and the starter set and the PHB and the MM and we started playing. It took a while to get comfortable with the software (and we still discover new things today) but we have been gaming for over a year and loving it.

So it may be easier than you imagine to get your old group back and playing.

damned
December 22nd, 2016, 05:49
I agree - lots of us old buggers around with lots of commitments but also great memories of gaming in our younger days...

As to Mirkeeper running through LMoP as the GM and also playing the PCs will work fine.... it will be a little like playing a Fighting Fantasy novel with a lot more options but it will work. Use the GM view only and drag the PC portraits to the HotKey bar because they wont be visible on the screen without a player instance having activated them.

Mirkeeper
December 22nd, 2016, 06:33
damned, thanks for the hint. As to my old buggers - those guys are now scattered around 3-4 different continents making it plain impossible to have a complete overlap. It will have to be a new group once I am ripe to dedicating a set time out of my workweek.

damned
December 22nd, 2016, 06:43
damned, thanks for the hint. As to my old buggers - those guys are now scattered around 3-4 different continents making it plain impossible to have a complete overlap. It will have to be a new group once I am ripe to dedicating a set time out of my workweek.

Nothing is forever but you never know your luck...
My group has Australians, a Kiwi, an American (and another group has a couple of Canadians too) and for a long time we had either an Englishman or a Dutchman as well :)
Timing is a challenge but think positive - and of course there are plenty more players around if you are willing to be the GM!

Myrdin Potter
December 22nd, 2016, 08:18
I was able to run my game when I was in china and the players were in the USA but I was high enough innfne company that I could set my schedule. We had to play in a weeknight as weekends were consumed by kid activities.

You just need 4 players and a DM to run most of the new modules about as intended. Licenses just went in sale as well.

Mirkeeper
December 22nd, 2016, 15:40
Myrdin Potter , damned, will get there one day. For now though will start off with the LMoP module in a solo mode to get back on D&D track, pick up 5e mechanics and get familiar with the FG software. Once comfortable with this, then sort out the work/family stuff to see how I can accommodate a playgroup. Maybe my own kids are old enough by then :)

Gwydion
December 22nd, 2016, 15:49
Myrdin Potter , damned, will get there one day. For now though will start off with the LMoP module in a solo mode to get back on D&D track, pick up 5e mechanics and get familiar with the FG software. Once comfortable with this, then sort out the work/family stuff to see how I can accommodate a playgroup. Maybe my own kids are old enough by then :)

Very cool, Mirkeeper and welcome to the forum! I might be working to see if I can convert one of the Adventure in Filbar series (Frank Schmidt) true solo adventures in 5e for fantasy grounds. I'm thinking that if you just use generic maps so you don't have to worry about fog of war type stuff, it might actually work ok. I'll keep you posted if I do it. Also check out the lone crusader at https://thelonecrusader.com/

I found that site about a year ago when I was wondering if I would be playing solo or if I was going to find a group to actually play with. Hope the info is useful. He has a lot of great tips, info, etc about playing solo.

Mirkeeper
December 22nd, 2016, 15:53
Gwydion, I actually did stumble upon this site yesterday. Interestingly, he has a playthrough of the LMoP module there which made my mind to try it out.

Thanks for the welcome, btw.

Gwydion
December 22nd, 2016, 15:57
Awesome. Let us know how it goes as I think it is an interesting concept. I hope that Frank has a module that I can try to convert into fg that is pure solo. It would be a fun experiment.

damned
December 22nd, 2016, 23:39
Very cool, Mirkeeper and welcome to the forum! I might be working to see if I can convert one of the Adventure in Filbar series (Frank Schmidt) true solo adventures in 5e for fantasy grounds. I'm thinking that if you just use generic maps so you don't have to worry about fog of war type stuff, it might actually work ok. I'll keep you posted if I do it. Also check out the lone crusader at https://thelonecrusader.com/

I found that site about a year ago when I was wondering if I would be playing solo or if I was going to find a group to actually play with. Hope the info is useful. He has a lot of great tips, info, etc about playing solo.

Gwydion - consider using single room maps to avoid the need for FoW. Each Single Room will have its doors or corridors and its own pins. USE PINS!
Secret doors wont work... :)

Gwydion
December 23rd, 2016, 00:01
Excellent idea!

Marmus
August 10th, 2017, 22:18
Gwydion, I actually did stumble upon this site yesterday. Interestingly, he has a playthrough of the LMoP module there which made my mind to try it out.

Thanks for the welcome, btw.

Mirkeeper,

I realize you are not the original posted of this thread, but curious how you made out with Solo play? I have a difficult time making regular schedule to play with a group (I do not want to be "that guy" who can never make sessions) so Solo is intriguing to me.

Baron Von Mandrick
August 11th, 2017, 01:26
Hey, I actually did this with Lost Mines... It worked just find. It's great because it helped me learn and figure out some things. I'm still no expert, but it was a good way to learn, and fun to play. Though I did find that as fun as it was, it made some of the problem solving and strategy things not really part of the game. I found I missed that. Also missed the input, wit and repartee with others in a group.

My schedule makes it really difficult to find a regular time to play. I would love to, and as my constantly adjusting schedule keeps adjusting, I will be on the lookout for campaigns. I really love the idea of doing a campaign. It's fun to create a character, nurture them, watch them grow (and if they die, start over with a new one) and learn to work with a regular group of party members.

I hope you enjoy your exploration into the game.

pindercarl
August 11th, 2017, 02:37
Robert at Black Belt Gaming has been running a 5E solo play for a while using a combination of 5E and the D&D boardgames (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon). Recently, he's begun using Fantasy Grounds to help him keep track of the characters during play. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbwiJfM4elbUEyMHL3MtHX0Rjv3jnfZM7

Marmus
August 14th, 2017, 00:31
Hey, I actually did this with Lost Mines... It worked just find. It's great because it helped me learn and figure out some things. I'm still no expert, but it was a good way to learn, and fun to play. Though I did find that as fun as it was, it made some of the problem solving and strategy things not really part of the game. I found I missed that. Also missed the input, wit and repartee with others in a group.

My schedule makes it really difficult to find a regular time to play. I would love to, and as my constantly adjusting schedule keeps adjusting, I will be on the lookout for campaigns. I really love the idea of doing a campaign. It's fun to create a character, nurture them, watch them grow (and if they die, start over with a new one) and learn to work with a regular group of party members.

I hope you enjoy your exploration into the game.

Baron Von Mandrick, - Thanks! I was thinking it would help get some things settled in my mind on how it all works. Though it could never beat the dynamics of a real group!

Robert at Black Belt Gaming has been running a 5E solo play for a while using a combination of 5E and the D&D boardgames (Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon). Recently, he's begun using Fantasy Grounds to help him keep track of the characters during play. https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbwiJfM4elbUEyMHL3MtHX0Rjv3jnfZM7

pindercarl, - Awesome....thanks for the link. Really great ideas there! I have the Castle Ravenloft board game....great way to combine the two.

Cheers!

superteddy57
August 21st, 2017, 06:43
I've created modules for some solo engines like Mythic and Conjecture products. They are working fine for my solo play when I am testing scenarios. Plus, help in a pinch for mind blocks during improv moments.

Marmus
August 21st, 2017, 17:42
I've created modules for some solo engines like Mythic and Conjecture products. They are working fine for my solo play when I am testing scenarios. Plus, help in a pinch for mind blocks during improv moments.

I have the Mystic PDF, but no clue how to use it...with or without FG. Any hints would be appreciated.

InfinitePudding
August 21st, 2017, 17:58
Just wanted to add something to this, as I myself am an avid solo player. A very popular tool in the solo community is the Mythic Game Master Emulator, it lets you play your favorite systems while it takes over the role of making unexpected twists and turns. You can find it on drivethrurpg for a paltry ammount. I hope it can enrich your solo play like it has for so many.

Marmus
August 21st, 2017, 19:36
Just wanted to add something to this, as I myself am an avid solo player. A very popular tool in the solo community is the Mythic Game Master Emulator, it lets you play your favorite systems while it takes over the role of making unexpected twists and turns. You can find it on drivethrurpg for a paltry ammount. I hope it can enrich your solo play like it has for so many.

Any tutorials how to work it? or work it within FG?

InfinitePudding
August 21st, 2017, 20:57
Well, if you look around you can find where people have posted logs of their sessions with it. Getting it to work automated in FG isn't really necessary because there are a lot of third party programs that are very lightweight that could automate Mythic in a different window while the rest of the game goes on in fg. There is a official yahoo fan group for mythic where you can download a program called apprentice that lets you ask you yes or no questions or complex questions. Oh yeah, if you want to ask more than yes or no questions to the GME they added those rules in Mythic Variations which is also quite cheap.

superteddy57
August 21st, 2017, 22:17
The module I created just basically has the note templates and random tables needed to provide me interpretation of my question. I used to use this site to help with the GM-less portions as well (https://www.rpgsolo.com/). It has links (some outdated) to other resources as well. I just created a new campaign and added the notes templates and tables I needed then exported. I started by using this guide https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/module.tutorial.v1.pdf

InfinitePudding
August 22nd, 2017, 20:51
The problem with rpgsolo is that they are using people's work without any permission. Pretty sketchy.

Marmus
August 24th, 2017, 14:33
Hi
Well, if you look around you can find where people have posted logs of their sessions with it. Getting it to work automated in FG isn't really necessary because there are a lot of third party programs that are very lightweight that could automate Mythic in a different window while the rest of the game goes on in fg. There is a official yahoo fan group for mythic where you can download a program called apprentice that lets you ask you yes or no questions or complex questions. Oh yeah, if you want to ask more than yes or no questions to the GME they added those rules in Mythic Variations which is also quite cheap.

Thanks! The Yahoo group resources have helped a lot.

InfinitePudding
August 24th, 2017, 19:28
You're quite welcome :) Happy gaming.

BBGaming
August 26th, 2017, 18:24

Hey! That's me :) Thanks for the mention!! Using Fantasy Grounds along with the board games and 5e rules has been a lot of fun solo. My current party is about to reach the big boss battle. Playing solo can indeed be fun with such tools and components. I've also used Mythic for solo play (Marvel Heroic Roleplaying) it worked pretty well.

Have fun!

pindercarl
August 26th, 2017, 18:58
Hey! That's me :) Thanks for the mention!! Using Fantasy Grounds along with the board games and 5e rules has been a lot of fun solo. My current party is about to reach the big boss battle. Playing solo can indeed be fun with such tools and components. I've also used Mythic for solo play (Marvel Heroic Roleplaying) it worked pretty well.

Have fun!

Thanks for keeping up with the videos. I thought for sure the grell was going to do in your rogue. Since adding Fantasy Grounds to your Wrath of Ashardolon game, they've been a great example of how you can use Fantasy Grounds as a reference and tool at the tabletop.

Marmus
September 13th, 2017, 14:40
Rob Twohy just released his "The Death Knight's Squire - 5e Solo adventure" as a Fantasy Grounds module via DMGuild. Bought it yesterday. Looks good so far. He follows a very similar mechanic to BBGaming's use of board game for maps. You load up each piece of map as you go along, keeping whats ahead a secret. Fantasy Grounds seems to be a really good platform for this type of adventure, he uses links for each little sequence/encounter/etc. It's a bit like the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books I read as a kid. But he also has methods to add randomness into the mix. I only got so far as the introduction and first map tile so far. I am looking forward to working thru this adventure.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/221421/The-Death-Knights-Squire--A-5e-Solo-Gamebook-Fantasy-Grounds

Gwydion
September 13th, 2017, 15:48
Rob Twohy just released his "The Death Knight's Squire - 5e Solo adventure" as a Fantasy Grounds module via DMGuild. Bought it yesterday. Looks good so far. He follows a very similar mechanic to BBGaming's use of board game for maps. You load up each piece of map as you go along, keeping whats ahead a secret. Fantasy Grounds seems to be a really good platform for this type of adventure, he uses links for each little sequence/encounter/etc. It's a bit like the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books I read as a kid. But he also has methods to add randomness into the mix. I only got so far as the introduction and first map tile so far. I am looking forward to working thru this adventure.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/221421/The-Death-Knights-Squire--A-5e-Solo-Gamebook-Fantasy-Grounds

I purchased the module, rolled up a character and plan on streaming a playthrough sometime soon on twitch. Thought it might be fun to have some participation from chat in a solo adventure!

Thegroo
September 15th, 2017, 00:06
I purchased the module, rolled up a character and plan on streaming a playthrough sometime soon on twitch. Thought it might be fun to have some participation from chat in a solo adventure!

Purchased it and played it today.
It is very well done and i liked it.
Had a bit of 'bad'-luck as i possible took the shortest route and was done in 45 min.
I'm off now to try it with another char.

timdog88
September 15th, 2017, 03:30
I wanted to add that I bought this as well and started playing through it. I think it is very well done and is perfect for fantasy grounds. I'm looking forward to seeing how it plays out.

paladinpariah
December 7th, 2017, 22:27
Just wanted to chime in that I too would love to see a single client way to solo FG. If your party doesn't have their own clients, actions don't load in the combat tracker. Any way around this? Rolling actions from character sheets?

It's nice to see other people are in the same boat as I am and need to play FG solo. Very much appreciate the resources.

damned
December 7th, 2017, 23:08
With the very long list of actions that PCs (especially spell casters) can have PC Actions in the CT is probably not going to happen. It is a deliberate design choice to not put them in.
You can have the localhost player connected and you can as GM also open and roll from any Character sheet.

paladinpariah
December 7th, 2017, 23:13
Good to know. Not so bad if there's no client switching and the other clients are in the background.

Trenloe
December 8th, 2017, 01:34
Note - Player Character actions will never appear in the combat tracker - whether a player client is connected or not. It is NPC actions only.

paladinpariah
December 10th, 2017, 21:28
Yeah... working off character sheets is fine because you need spell lists anyway... thanks for the help as always....