PDA

View Full Version : FG2 on Linux with Wine overdrawing large map images.

Carlos
March 15th, 2016, 03:41

On 64-bit Fedora 23 using Wine 1.9.4 running Fantasy Grounds 3.1.7 (and earlier versions), when I load up any map that needs scrolling the image is overdrawn (see attached picture for an example). This happens with PNG or JPG maps. The grid is overdrawn (larger than the map window) and so is the graphic. If I change the UI scaling factor to 99% it solves the problem, likely because the entire rendering is being drawn to some back buffer and scaled. The con to 99% scaling is that it makes everything slightly fuzzy. I have tried CSMT, virtual desktop (2560x1440, my natural display size), but nothing fixes the issue. Experimentally it looks like the overdraw is FG2 buffering the image in blocks, and those blocks being rendered without being clipped to the view window.

This behaviour has been going on for quite a while, but I've just been living with it. Thought I'd post to the forum to see if anybody had this same problem and had a solution (short of running FG2 on Windows or in a VM).

Anyone else see something like this?

I noted this problem here at WineHQ AppDB where I maintain the compatibility notes for FG2 on Linux using Wine.
https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=29589

Ken L
March 17th, 2016, 17:19
I don't think I've ever seen this before, I'll check later when I get the chance. How big is the map? My biggest grip with large maps is that when aligning it to grid, each pixel shift took ages.

Carlos
March 17th, 2016, 17:46
The map in the attached image isn't that big. The map I'm testing with right now is 2000x2000 pixels, and grid alignment on that map was quick and easy (v3.1.7).

skj310
June 28th, 2016, 13:00
I had same problem running FG2 on wine 1.9 and on linuxmint 17.3.
Solution was to remove wine 1.9 and just install the stable release of 1.6 (i.e. I had to remove the wine ppa entry from my /etc/apt/sources.list.d ... probably easier to do this just by unselecting the wine ppa from the update manager). Once i removed wine 1.9, installed wine 1.6 ... and then reinstalled FG 3.1.7 I had no more problems with maps zooming past the frame size.

damned
June 28th, 2016, 13:35
skj310 how do you join and then wait nearly 7 years to post? Huzzah and welcome.... back?

skj310
July 28th, 2016, 11:52
don't know why it shows join as 2009 ... not true! i joined only just a month ago ... must be cause i'm canadian and believe in yyyy.mm.dd as the only legit date format! :)

LordEntrails
July 28th, 2016, 13:45
Canadian's are friendly, we like having more of you here *G* Even if you use funny dates!

skj310
July 30th, 2016, 11:20
Holy crap LordEntrails ... I haven't heard G in forever ... you have to be an older bloke! :)

lesliev
July 30th, 2016, 11:41
skj310, I use PlayOnLinux to install and manage Wine versions - it makes it easy to install multiple versions of Wine and run each program in its own version if I like. I've got FG running on Wine 1.9.10 and haven't seen the overdrawing issue in a while. I also have "cross platform compatibility mode" turned off in settings, that works fine for me and makes FG run a lot faster with a lot less CPU usage (it stops FG redrawing the whole screen for every frame).

skj310
August 2nd, 2016, 13:57
I've used PoL in the past, and agree that it does make it a lot easier to monkey with a variety of wine versions. True, true. Ultimately I stopped using it because i found it took too much effort to tweak desktop/file manager integration. So i just use a bare bones install of latest stable wine. I too disable the "Cross Platform Compatibility" and agree that it makes it a lot faster, and a LOT less CPU and fan spinning out at max. That's a key bit to keeping from overdrawing within a window frame, but it does have some drawbacks. I find that there are times when i am left with some minor zooming past the frame (manageable), and some times when there's some window image wonkiness (like after image or something, it disappears if i move the window a bit).

All that said my preference remains running a win10 guest in virtualbox! :)

skj310
January 30th, 2017, 07:07
Well just thought i'd make an update to this thread to those that are curious about linux using FG client.
Currently I am using Linuxmint 18.1 as my OS, and have FG 3.2.2 installed. Since FG 3.2.0 was released i've noticed that this overdraw problem has completely disappeared. So why does it work now? Not sure ... but here is some data on what is working for me:
FG v3.2.2
Wine version is "wine-staging" 2.0.0~ubuntu16.04.1
Within FG i've disabled the "cross-platform compatibility mode for linux and mac" that is under the setttings part of the FG client - i disabled this because it caused my CPU to peak out, and didn't make any difference to the overdraw issue (with v3.1.x mentioned above this setting was quite necessary to fix the overdraw issue).

So I think that tells enough to let others figure it out as well. Again note that I am NOT using PoL (play on linux) ... this is just a straight install of the latest release of wine from wine-staging (i.e. not the stock ubuntu/linuxmint default which is still using wine v1.8 [i think]).

I conclusion I am very happily using FG on a linux host without any issues as a player. What changed between FG v3.1.x and v3.2.x to fix the overdraw issue? No idea! But am happy its working as expected now as I was never quite happy having to use a VM running windows.

damned
January 30th, 2017, 09:10
In most cases cross platform compatibility doesnt seem to add much any more and it does put a serious load on the cpu.
Thanks for posting.