PDA

View Full Version : Spells and Saves

remocarde
March 15th, 2016, 03:11
I am new to Fantasy Grounds and so far it is an amazing program and in the next month I will be hosting my first game. Currently I have added several different effects like touch of corruption and sickened as a new spell. The problem I am running into is the combat feature. I added monsters in the combat tracker, and the players. On the players turn I want to cast the spell fireball. Let me know if I am doing something wrong:

Click on pointer
Click on radius
Click target
Click on cast
Click on damage

The problem I am having is the when the creature makes the save for the spell, when I click on damage it does not take half of the damage for the spell. Is is suppose to take half damage or is it something I am doing wrong?

Aaron
March 15th, 2016, 05:22

Refer to the picture above.

If you look at the Fireball Save, it should read something similar to "Dex DC 14 (H)". If there's no (H) there, then the spell hasn't been set up to do half on a successful save. By clicking the magnifying glass shown it will open the "Spell/Ability Use" window, where you can see down at the bottom is the "ON SAVE" section which should read "Half on Success". Click to cycle options.

The other problem is that the target may not be targeted? The person casting the Fireball spell should have a targets or targets underneath their name, as shown in the picture. To target manually like this, you CTRL-Left Click on a token to target, and again to un-target.

Let me know if this helps.

Zacchaeus
March 15th, 2016, 10:22
I am new to Fantasy Grounds and so far it is an amazing program and in the next month I will be hosting my first game. Currently I have added several different effects like touch of corruption and sickened as a new spell. The problem I am running into is the combat feature. I added monsters in the combat tracker, and the players. On the players turn I want to cast the spell fireball. Let me know if I am doing something wrong:

Click on pointer
Click on radius
Click target
Click on cast
Click on damage

The problem I am having is the when the creature makes the save for the spell, when I click on damage it does not take half of the damage for the spell. Is is suppose to take half damage or is it something I am doing wrong?

Hi Remocarde and welcome to the Fantasy Grounds and to the community.

What you describe would be correct but there are a few things which must happen for everything to work. Firstly the Fireball spell will work 'out of the box' if it has been dragged straight from the Player's Handbook (or whatever other source that you are using). When you look at it in the actions tab of the player you should see the saving throw does have an 'H' after it indicating that half damage will be applied on a successful save. So that's the first thing is to make sure the spell is correct in the player's action tab.

The second thing is to make sure both players and NPCs are getting onto the combat tracker and to your map properly. Drag players onto the Combat tracker from the PC tab or from their portraits in the top left of the screen. NPC should ideally come from an encounter, click on the little arrow at the bottom of the encounter to place them onto the Combat tracker. Or drag them from the NPCs tab.

Once everything is properly on the Combat Tracker then they need to be properly placed on your map by dragging from the Combat Tracker.

So if you have done all of that and things are still not working out then it is likely that the problem is with one of your settings. Go into settings (the small cog wheel icon in the top right menu bar) and find the second one down Target:Remove on Miss. For multiple targets set this option to either on or multi.

Get back to use if you still have problems.

remocarde
March 15th, 2016, 23:39
Check this out. I understood the steps in order to setup the DC save and everything for a spell. I followed several steps from your advice and advice on other individuals to create several different things in Fantasy Grounds. I have attached the screen shot of what I am looking at. it seems that I am missing a section in the spell/ability use screen under the spells. Is there a module that I need to download in order to get that screen? I am using the PFRPG ruleset. Just whatever came with the Ultimate license. 13436

Let me know if I am missing a step or if I need to download something to get that section. Thanks for all your help

Trenloe
March 15th, 2016, 23:52
The FG Pathfinder ruleset doesn't have save for half built in. See this post on how to do it manually: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20708-Multi-targeting-Question&p=171184&viewfull=1#post171184

remocarde
March 16th, 2016, 00:07
The FG Pathfinder ruleset doesn't have save for half built in. See this post on how to do it manually: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20708-Multi-targeting-Question&p=171184&viewfull=1#post171184

That sucks. Why would they leave that out of pfrpg. Oh well. Thanks