PDA

View Full Version : Library extension for CoreRPG

ShotGun Jolly
March 14th, 2016, 16:51
Anyone out there working on creating a library extension mod for CoreRPG like the one used for Savage Worlds ruleset?

And if not, is there a quick totorial on how to make library mods other then just using the simple /export command?

Thanks
Jolly

Mask_of_winter
March 15th, 2016, 00:49
If not, for me personally, at least a sidebar window for abilities that can be exported in a module and then dropped on character sheets would go a long way. This is already possible with Inventory nodes. You currently can do that by loading up a "bulk abilities" character and then redistributing but you can't export that character, you're bound to that campaign only. I found out the hard way when I ran Monster of the Week.
Since official support beyond d&d 5e material is fairly limited, the ability to have a more developed and flexible CoreRpg to enable playing non-supported games is essential.
Yes, have a look at the Library extension Ikael made for Savage Worlds. It's a hundred times easier than par5e, everything is done within the FG UI and would provide a way to make our own library reference modules without cluttering the Story window and offer drag and drop of abilities capabilities for character creation. Yes, you can play with the pdf on the next screen or book on your lap but if that's the case I don't need FG, I can use Google Hangouts with Dicestream.
I'm also hopeful the move to Unity will bring the way of making character sheet as developed by Carl. I love the idea of using an existing character sheet image and inserting "fields" on top of it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread JC hehe
Let's put our voices together so we can be heard!

ShotGun Jolly
March 15th, 2016, 17:09
If not, for me personally, at least a sidebar window for abilities that can be exported in a module and then dropped on character sheets would go a long way. This is already possible with Inventory nodes. You currently can do that by loading up a "bulk abilities" character and then redistributing but you can't export that character, you're bound to that campaign only. I found out the hard way when I ran Monster of the Week.
Since official support beyond d&d 5e material is fairly limited, the ability to have a more developed and flexible CoreRpg to enable playing non-supported games is essential.
Yes, have a look at the Library extension Ikael made for Savage Worlds. It's a hundred times easier than par5e, everything is done within the FG UI and would provide a way to make our own library reference modules without cluttering the Story window and offer drag and drop of abilities capabilities for character creation. Yes, you can play with the pdf on the next screen or book on your lap but if that's the case I don't need FG, I can use Google Hangouts with Dicestream.
I'm also hopeful the move to Unity will bring the way of making character sheet as developed by Carl. I love the idea of using an existing character sheet image and inserting "fields" on top of it.

Sorry for hijacking your thread JC hehe
Let's put our voices together so we can be heard!

No need to aplogies. And yes I agree with everything you said.. I have resorted to creating an inventory page, and naming it traits and skills on my 40K rulesets, so the guys can drag and drop things over to the list. Problem being, for what ever reason, it only shows the titles, and not the imbedded info that you need for after. :( If* CoreRPG is the offical flagship generic ruleset for FG then those types of features should be added in to the ruleset, or the very least an extension.

*For the record, I really do not know if CoreRPG is an offically supported ruleset or just a fanbased unit.. So if I sound pompous, I apologies.

damned
March 16th, 2016, 07:56
CoreRPG is an official product. All the Smiteworks produced rulesets are layered on it.
I wonder if adding more stuff to CoreRPG potentially breaks the rulesets layered on it.

Mask - you can export characters using the Character Export/Import to bring all those abilities over - thats what we do in that CoreRPG character sheet thread.

Mask_of_winter
March 16th, 2016, 13:16
Mask - you can export characters using the Character Export/Import to bring all those abilities over - thats what we do in that CoreRPG character sheet thread.
Yes, you sure can. But now try drag and dropping that ability to another sheet to duplicated it. See what happens?

ShotGun Jolly
March 16th, 2016, 18:05
I though for sure I posted a response to this a while ago.. I guess I never!..

But yeah, what Mask said...

Mask_of_winter
March 17th, 2016, 02:52
I had made a character sheet for each playbook for Monster of the Week. All the moves were a table. Since you can't drop a table link on a character sheet I made an ability for each move and then dropped the table link inside the ability.
My plan was to have each player bring up the Playbook character sheet AND their character sheet. Then, they would drag the moves they wanted from the Playbook char sheet onto their character sheet. What they were left with was an ability and inside, a link to a blank table. So they ended up having to use the playbook char sheet fully loaded with all the moves and delete the ones they didn't pick. Despite all the CoreRpg possibilities. this hack failed.

demonsbane
March 17th, 2016, 03:53
Yes, have a look at the Library extension Ikael made for Savage Worlds.

I wonder if it's possible to have that Library extension without having or using the Savage Worlds ruleset. It sounds very helpful.

Mask_of_winter
March 17th, 2016, 03:59
It references certain nodes typical to Savage Worlds for certain things like Edges and Hindrances and the various gear types but I'm sure a good coder could make it more generic. We just need a volunteer.

ShotGun Jolly
March 17th, 2016, 04:14
I wonder if it's possible to have that Library extension without having or using the Savage Worlds ruleset. It sounds very helpful.

Ahh.. I just watched your link in your profile, that is awesome! That is something I am going to put to good use!

@Mask Check out his link! It will help me out big time! Maybe you if you didn't already know.

demonsbane
March 17th, 2016, 12:11
Thank you ShotGun Jolly for your appreciation, and to Mask_of_winter for asking for a volunteer in this important task :rv:

ShotGun Jolly
March 17th, 2016, 16:05
Thank you ShotGun Jolly for your appreciation, and to Mask_of_winter for asking for a volunteer in this important task :rv:

I agree

I am sure there could be a person or two in the FG community who could align the the SW mod to work with CoreRpg realitivly quickly in a few hours of spare time.. We just need someone with that know how to do it. I will be attempting it, but it may take me weeks or more for very limited functionallity and very very basic in nature.

Just dont want anyone to depend on me to do it.

Ikael
March 21st, 2016, 07:39
I agree

I am sure there could be a person or two in the FG community who could align the the SW mod to work with CoreRpg realitivly quickly in a few hours of spare time.. We just need someone with that know how to do it. I will be attempting it, but it may take me weeks or more for very limited functionallity and very very basic in nature.

Just dont want anyone to depend on me to do it.

It ain't that easy. As original author of the Enhanced Library extension, I tried to convert it into CoreRPG without success. It should be rewritten completely to fit for CoreRPG base. I even tried that until I came to conclusion that it would take way to much time and for me personally, there was no carrot.

Anyone taking this challenge should not try to use the extension as a base, rather learn what it changed and apply it to own work.

ShotGun Jolly
March 21st, 2016, 08:25
It ain't that easy. As original author of the Enhanced Library extension, I tried to convert it into CoreRPG without success. It should be rewritten completely to fit for CoreRPG base. I even tried that until I came to conclusion that it would take way to much time and for me personally, there was no carrot.

Anyone taking this challenge should not try to use the extension as a base, rather learn what it changed and apply it to own work.

Booooooo :(

Just kidding, yeah, I already started to figure that out.. I was making NOOOO head way :-S

Jedrious
May 6th, 2018, 15:24
Two years later, has there been any progress?

Trenloe
May 6th, 2018, 15:29
Two years later, has there been any progress?
Yes... and no.

There is not anything like the Savage Worlds library making extension. But, the export functionality from standard FG now has the "Read Only" option - this will create library entries for the campaign data you export. This was available before, but wasn't a pick/choose option - it was there with all the other campaign data. Now you can choose to export "Feats", for example, with the "Read Only" option to create a library module. If you also select "Player Module?" when exporting, you will get a module that is allowed for player access by default.

So - create your library data in FG using the standard campaign data (buttons down the right hand side of the desktop) and then export to a module as required.