PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to full for cheaper, or not?

Nayr
May 2nd, 2005, 21:43
Ok, I don't make much money on allowance(i am only 12, so sue me...) And I can't afford to pay $20USD and THEN pay $35USD to host because it is hard to find people who can host. So I was wondering. Why don't you allow people to pay $15 to upgrade from lite to full???

richvalle
May 3rd, 2005, 00:12
I voted for the $15 but...

part of the problem (I think) is that after the upgrade you will basicly have 2 licences. One for full and one for lite but have only paid for the lite version.

What they (SW) figure is that after you upgrade to the full version you'll turn around and sell the lite version to one of your players.

rv

Goblin-King
May 3rd, 2005, 05:32
Richvalle pretty much hit the nail. I don't see why anyone would want to pay more for an upgrade, but the two license problem is still there. There are some things we could do, but the problem is not entirely on our end either as we'd have to work with rpgnow to solve some issues with our integration, or process each order manually (not a very tempting option).

It's not a question of money or will at this time, but rather technical possibilities. We're working on this and want to see a better upgrade mechanism as well, but it's not quite as simple as it seems at first so it'll probably take some time before we can offer it.

MythioS
May 3rd, 2005, 13:33
was worth a shot Nayr, sorry :/

Nayr
May 3rd, 2005, 21:05
with the full version, can you not host if you want...and also play on other games? I mean pay to upgrade your lite to a full...not to get both games...I mean what would the point of having the other one on your computer if you have the better one? so naturally everyone would uninstall the lite...but then again I think you can make it so the installer for full would unistall the lite... :(

richvalle
May 3rd, 2005, 21:25
Here is the scenario:

You buy the lite version and download the software and install it with the SN giving you.

You then deside to upgrade so you pay the $15 to get the new program which you download and get a new SN for.

You send the file you downloaded to a friend and give them the lite SN. Then you install the full version with the new SN.

Two copies of the software for just the price of the full version.

I'm sure there are some things they can do on their side. Maybe try to keep the SN the same where you have to put in the lite SN before you can get the full version as an upgrade. But, as GK said that would involve working with rpgnow and probably not be easy to do. And I'm not sure how the SN's are generated and they are probably differant between the full and Lite versions.

rv

Nayr
May 3rd, 2005, 21:33
Well, it was worth a thought... :( 7 weeks before I get to host!!! stupid thing...

richvalle
May 3rd, 2005, 21:36
Well, it was worth a thought... :( 7 weeks before I get to host!!! stupid thing...

Its even worth 2 thoughts! Hey... I voted for the $15 upgrade.

At least the devs responded so they know its something we are interested in doing. They have not said "No, never!" They said "Its not going to be easy and will take some work/time".

It does not help you now but hopefully in the future this upgrade path with be an option.

rv

Nayr
May 3rd, 2005, 21:51
that's not helpful...by the time they even do this it will have been 7 weeks and I won't have to use the upgrade feature... ><

richvalle
May 3rd, 2005, 22:04
that's not helpful...by the time they even do this it will have been 7 weeks and I won't have to use the upgrade feature... ><

What you mean is 'That is not helpfull to me'. Just think about the warm fuzzy feeling you'll get knowing you helped all those other people.

:)

rv