PDA

View Full Version : Question on creating library modules

Ellspeth
March 13th, 2016, 13:47
No doubt if I had more patience I could find this answer, I know how to create the library module, and to add new hindrances and edges etc there which I can drop and drag as GM. Do I need to start them in the Savage World's player guide to make the draggable for players, or will it work just by including them in the player's guide I create myself?

Mask_of_winter
March 13th, 2016, 13:55
It's a standalone module. As long as it's shared with the players they'll have access to it.

Ellspeth
March 13th, 2016, 14:02
Thanks Mask, freaking Mythos has like 21 hindrances and a bunch of edges specific too them, and of course I seem to always choose stuff that doesn't have a ready made module from Smiteworks.

Mask_of_winter
March 13th, 2016, 14:07
I know your pain. I'm in the same boat hehe
Too many Savage Worlds products, not enough community devs to make them.

Ellspeth
March 13th, 2016, 14:28
On the other hand that is the beauty of Savage Worlds, amazing variety and versatility. 21 new hindrances in Mythos finished but now I get to start on the 44 NEW Edges. Good thing I have an entire free day.

Doswelk
March 13th, 2016, 21:04
No doubt if I had more patience I could find this answer, I know how to create the library module, and to add new hindrances and edges etc there which I can drop and drag as GM. Do I need to start them in the Savage World's player guide to make the draggable for players, or will it work just by including them in the player's guide I create myself?

Are you still having an issue with this?

If so I can probably talk you through it...

Doswelk
March 13th, 2016, 21:04
I know your pain. I'm in the same boat hehe
Too many Savage Worlds products, not enough community devs to make them.
I'm doing the best I can (though Interface Zero nearly did me in!) :P
Rippers is almost done!

Ellspeth
March 13th, 2016, 21:37
Are you still having an issue with this?

If so I can probably talk you through it...

Thanks Doswelk, I have this part completed, where I was confused was when I created another module using the Ultimate Roman Legion and Ultimate Celts for a different game, it was rewriting spells that was apparently what need to be done through the Savage Worlds guides. Hours later and with my eyes definitely crossed I have managed to get the 15 new hindrances, 44 new edges completed. I have a game tonight, time to put it away and clear my head for a bit.

jshauber
March 14th, 2016, 13:53
I haven't used the Library Creation thingy yet, though Ellspeth and I have talked about her experience with it in before our Sunday game.

I backed the Weird Wars I KS that just ended and once I start getting that stuff I am going to give the creation side a try.

Doswelk
March 15th, 2016, 08:04
I haven't used the Library Creation thingy yet, though Ellspeth and I have talked about her experience with it in before our Sunday game.
I backed the Weird Wars I KS that just ended and once I start getting that stuff I am going to give the creation side a try.
Cool one product I do not have to convert :P

Ellspeth
March 15th, 2016, 14:17
Okay new question Doswelk, you may regret identifying yourself as the person to ask when my go to guy Hendell is busy. He had explained new weapons have to be created under items, then dragged from there to the new weapons list in the library module. However when I do this I keep getting copy of weapon and I would like to remove the words copy, but don't seem to be able to find a way to do so. This setting has some unique and interesting weapons and I very much want to include them in the library module, and while it would be awesome to just be able to copy, paste the weapons table and have it automatically be active I realize this is just another challenge that could slow down development of other modules. I also rather like creating my own library modules, it helps me understand a good many things much more clearly. Perhaps I am being to particular, but any advice?
PS. Now that I know you developed the module for Interface Zero which I quite like as a setting I will have to buy it out of the next funds I set aside for gaming purchases.

Doswelk
March 15th, 2016, 14:22
I take it you are using the library extension module?

You can directly create weapons:

Quick and dirty video that will have to do until I can make a proper one (https://www.dropbox.com/s/1vopbpz1iaeavgp/Creating%20Weapons.mp4?dl=0)

When I am creating weapons/armor/cybertech/rippertech etc I use a spreadsheet I wrote a few years back and I change the fields as needed.

drop me a pm with an email address and I'll zip it over

Mask_of_winter
March 15th, 2016, 14:34
You can create it straight in the library.
With the library extension enabled, click on your book.
Next, right click in the right-hand side window and select create page.
Next, select gear entry.
Then whatever item type you want.
You know have a blank weapon list window.
Type in the title you want.
Right click in that window and select manage, then create group. For Ranged weapons you could have a group for Legion weapons and one for Barbarians for instance (just an example).
Next, right-click on that group text (important), select manage, then create gear.
Click on the book icon that appeared to the left, fill out the gear entry.
Voila!

Ellspeth
March 15th, 2016, 14:47
Thanks to both of you, once the new weapons are added, I have just to do the pre-gens and the Amazons one shot is good to go, however I have found once I put all this work into a library module I end up running more one shots or short campaigns to justify the effort. It IS fun though.
PS Just tried it Mask, works beautifully, I grew up at a time when the big fight was letting calculators into school, when I was in engineering at university they had CAD, we were allowed to see the computers but not touch them until we completed beaucoup prereq's, it was the late 90's before having a computer became an essential tool in college, fortunately I had returned to work on my real passion, so got a start much later than average, and I CAN be taught.

jshauber
March 15th, 2016, 14:51
Thanks to both of you, once the new weapons are added, I have just to do the pre-gens and the Amazons one shot is good to go, however I have found once I put all this work into a library module I end up running more one shots or short campaigns to justify the effort. It IS fun though.

And the hook is firmly set....

Ellspeth
March 15th, 2016, 15:10
LOL Jim that hook was set when I found I could play roles that despite my training I would never ever be cast in on stage. The rest is icing on the cake, but the questions I ask here keep track of, saves ya effort when you play with the library modules yourself. See a freaking community service I tell ya.

Coanunn
March 23rd, 2016, 16:41
Ok guys, so I'm deep into doing a Pirates of the Spanish Main module and wanted to try my hand at making it look more professional rather than just using the Enhanced Library Extension. I get the feeling I'll be blocking it out in the Extension inside FG, then using XML to clean it up and make it look professional. My first major stumbling block is the hand written will and testament that starts the book. I wanted to put it in the Library the same way the Welcome Letter appears in ETU. I see they have a link in the library that instead of opening a text page just opens the image directly. How the heck do I nest that in that manner?

Mortar
March 23rd, 2016, 17:25
You're going to need two actual blocks of xml coding to do it, as I just recently learned.

First:

<chapter_002>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>sw_referenceindex</class>
<recordname>..</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">* *Artwork</name>
<description type="formattedtext"/>
<index>
<image_001>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<class>imagewindow</class>
<recordname>wwrimage.chapter0.cover</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Cover Image</name>
</image_001>
<image_002>
<listlink type="windowreference">
<recordname>wwrimage.chapter0.id_001</recordname>
</listlink>
<name type="string">Image 01</name>
</image_002>
</index>
</chapter_002>

This defines the link on the page, and tells FG where to look for that image.

Second:

<wwrimage>
<chapter0>
<cover>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>Cover.png</bitmap>
</image>
<name type="string">Cover</name>
</cover>
<id_001>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>image01.jpg</bitmap>
</image>
<name type="string">Image 1</name>
</id_001>
</chapter0>

This part tells FG that the link is an image and the exact name/location of the image. This part of code is not stored in the main library of the module, but in an attached reference section. The images in this case are stored in the root folder of the module.

Those are the relevant pieces of code to open the two images in the attached screenshot

Mortar
March 23rd, 2016, 17:28
Or you can just drag and drop the item into the Image tab and it will be added to the module.

Coanunn
April 14th, 2016, 21:14
Ok, so I finally figured out how to actually achieve the effect!

The image call for the Library Link

<chapter_00003_avastthere>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<recordname>refimage.chapter0.picture05</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Avast There!</name>
</chapter_00003_avastthere>

The reference code to define the image

<refimage>
<chapter0>
<picture05>
<image type="image">
<bitmap>images/chapter0/image5.png</bitmap>
</image>
<name type="string">Avast There!</name>
</picture05>
</chapter0>
</refimage>

Once I finish arranging the rest of the artwork and fix the quicklinks I will have a "complete draft" of the Players Section complete.