PDA

View Full Version : Minor Technical Issues

Outsider418
March 12th, 2016, 15:48
Good afternoon everyone.

I have two quick questions.

One, every so often when I'm on FG, a window will pop up that says GM Console (it seems to come up whenever the system saves data). I can X out of it, but it takes up a good amount of my window and is very distracting. How do I get this to stay in the background?

And also, I have dual monitors. Whenever I try to move some of my windows (such as the map) to the other monitor, I can't see it and it seems to slide behind the desktop. Is there a setting that can make it so I can have windows on both desktops?

Thanks for your help

-MP-

Trenloe
March 12th, 2016, 16:39
One, every so often when I'm on FG, a window will pop up that says GM Console (it seems to come up whenever the system saves data). I can X out of it, but it takes up a good amount of my window and is very distracting. How do I get this to stay in the background?
If the console window is popping up it means FG is encountering an error. I wouldn't recommend ignoring the error, unless it's a known issue that you're OK with. If it is popping up when it is saving data then there might be an issue saving the campaign data, more than likely file access right, which you'll want to fix to avoid loss of recently entered/changed data.

Otherwise, don't close the console when you get an error, move it out of the way but leave it open so that next time it will pop out of the way.

And also, I have dual monitors. Whenever I try to move some of my windows (such as the map) to the other monitor, I can't see it and it seems to slide behind the desktop. Is there a setting that can make it so I can have windows on both desktops?
You can't move FG windows outside of the FG desktop. Manually size the FG desktop across both monitors if you want to have FG desktop space on each monitor.

damned
March 13th, 2016, 00:47
when the error pops up next choose the Copy to clipboard option and paste it here if you cant decipher what it is telling you.
and on what Trenloe is saying - drag the corner of the FG window to resize it across two monitors - you cannot maximise it across two screens.

Outsider418
March 13th, 2016, 14:14
Good morning.

Here is the message I am getting:

Runtime Error: Unable to save file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) - Error (13): Permission denied
Database Notice: Campaign saved.

damned
March 13th, 2016, 14:37
You can delete that file and reload Fantasy Grounds.

Outsider418
March 13th, 2016, 14:54
Cool. Thanks guys for all your help!

Outsider418
March 13th, 2016, 15:50
Okay, I thought I was done :)

could not find a folder that says C:/ProgramData (I'm on Windows 10) but I saw another thread that said to just allow permissions to read and write, so I did, and my problem went away, for a little while.

So now I'm back to square one. How do I find this file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) so I can delete it?

Thanks

Trenloe
March 13th, 2016, 17:27
So now I'm back to square one. How do I find this file (C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds/GlobalRegistry.lua) so I can delete it?
Press the Windows key on your keyboard plus the r key at the same time. In the "Run" window that appears copy/paste C:/ProgramData/Fantasy Grounds and press return. Windows explorer will open at that directory.

Zacchaeus
March 13th, 2016, 17:28
ProgramData is usually hidden (at least it is in Win 10). Open your C: drive and click on the 'View' menu at the top. In there find 'Hidden items' and check the box next to it. This should make ProgramData visible.

Trenloe
March 13th, 2016, 17:29
You can also start FG and click the folder icon in the top right of the first launch screen - this will take you straight to the same directory.

Outsider418
March 13th, 2016, 18:04
Awesome! Thanks guys!