PDA

View Full Version : token idea

nix4
May 1st, 2005, 12:10
We already have a transparancy color. How about a 50% transparancy color so that we can surround a token with a reach threat range? 50% so we can still see other things in that range, but they will be darker so we know its within reach.

Ged
May 4th, 2005, 16:10
I'm not quite sure I completely understood your question, but currently you can make, say, a png-file where the transparency level (or conversely opacity) can be completely controlled in each pixel. So, threat ranges, semi-transparent ghosts etc. can be made quite easily already.

kalmarjan
May 4th, 2005, 16:14
if threat range is what you are concerned about.... when you make your token, or have a token, edit in gimp or photoshop to make a translucent layer around your token at 50 px per sqaure of reach. (If you are using 50 px = 5 ft, a community standard.)

As for making a token for this, I think that it would not be much fun if we had to apply this to every token that we put down.

Just my .02 GP

Sandeman

:)

gurney9999
May 4th, 2005, 16:15
I'm not sure what he is saying, but it sparked an idea that probably wouldn't be practical but I'll say it anyway :)

Have map masks tied to tokens that would be tied to specific players logged in... so you place token A for player A on a masked map and the map will unmask automatically based on how the token is moved by the dm.... and the unmasking tied to that token would only be viewed by the player tied to the token.

Syrovi
January 7th, 2006, 21:55
great idea!!!

"Have map masks tied to tokens that would be tied to specific players logged in... so you place token A for player A on a masked map and the map will unmask automatically based on how the token is moved by the dm.... and the unmasking tied to that token would only be viewed by the player tied to the token."

This can be used to simulate a light source...

I have only 1 question....How do you do that????

devinnight
January 8th, 2006, 20:04
I made this based on the OP's idea, or at least i think this is what he meant. The red color indicates forward facing area of threat, the purple is his back. It shows hoew the colors overalp. The area is actually made with the token. However this makes the token 8x larger.
-D
https://www.immortalnights.com/wip/crypttokens.png

kalmarjan
January 8th, 2006, 22:41
Yes... I can see that. Only problem is that if the tokens are larger, then it will be difficult to "pick" them as well. I like the idea of the threat range though. Something I might incorporate into my game...

Sandeman

Tailz Silver Paws
January 9th, 2006, 01:01
One thing I would like to see is a way to turn off the shadow on a token.

dLANbandit
January 10th, 2006, 14:26
An even crazier idea based on Tailz's.

FG should have a way to associate multiple tokens together as one token. That way you can have a token of your fighter with full plate on and full plate off, one with a bow, one with a sword and shield. And other things like laying on the ground sleeping and other things. They would be bound together via XML and when you right clicked on the token you could set it's state from a list of check and radio buttons. This would allow users to create a shadow, facing and range options that could be turned on and off. In effect it would just be switching out the token picture on the board. But it would let you have a lot more ways to represent your characters on the board.

festivus
January 10th, 2006, 17:43
I don't agree with all this token functionality being lumped into the game. To me, FG is a tabletop replacement, and as such, I don't find myself repainting my miniatures if they are donning armor or what not, or using a large translucent plastic disk beneath them to represent facing / aoe / etc.

I would rather see focus put on improving the stability of the system, and a true client / server setup so I can run FG on my hefty server while using the GM client on my laptop.

I'll just use imagination for the rest... otherwise I would just use Neverwinter Nights to tell my stories. It has all that stuff already in it. :)

Ablefish
January 10th, 2006, 19:02
I'm kind of inclined to agree with festivus. We played our first game on sunday night and while we do plan to improve our tokens, we don't want to get hung up on maps and tokens where a good descriptive paragraph will do.

That said,adding the ability to select and rotate multiple tokens would be welcome. Just that simple functionality would let you drop facing rings, or armor or shields or whatever you want onto another token and then move them simultaneously. (Or grab the party and throw them in the whirlpool...)

Tailz Silver Paws
January 10th, 2006, 20:32
But the "armor, rings, facing, etc" are kind of dependant upon the game system you play? And considering how FG is made that you could plug in any rule set to a game you like, how could they build in support for all the different variations of "area markers" for tokens?

Tailz Silver Paws
January 10th, 2006, 20:38
An even crazier idea based on Tailz's.

FG should have a way to associate multiple tokens together as one token. That way you can have a token of your fighter with full plate on and full plate off, one with a bow, one with a sword and shield. And other things like laying on the ground sleeping and other things. They would be bound together via XML and when you right clicked on the token you could set it's state from a list of check and radio buttons. This would allow users to create a shadow, facing and range options that could be turned on and off. In effect it would just be switching out the token picture on the board. But it would let you have a lot more ways to represent your characters on the board.
I can see where your coming from, but I think - to keep it simple - why not just make it that you can make group selections with the mouse pointer?
You know, draw out a box with the mouse pointer and everything in the box gets 'selected' and then you can move/rotate the selected tokens as per normal.

festivus
January 10th, 2006, 20:45
I guess I was only thinking of d20 games, where those things are not so important, and maintaining the simplicty that brought me to purchase Fantasy Grounds to begin with.

I could see in something like what you describe being useful for a tank game having the turret pointable.

Tailz Silver Paws
January 11th, 2006, 01:41
I guess I was only thinking of d20 games, where those things are not so important, and maintaining the simplicty that brought me to purchase Fantasy Grounds to begin with.

I could see in something like what you describe being useful for a tank game having the turret pointable.
Well thats the plan, using two tokens for a tank, the body and the turret.

But I am yet to get a free moment to render the stupid things, keep getting side tracked by the stuff I put off over christmass and new years.