PDA

View Full Version : Feedback request: Eraser tool operation

Goblin-King
April 28th, 2005, 12:04
1.05 will add an eraser function to drawing elements. We have two options for the implementation, and would like some feedback from FG users on the issue.

The first option is lasso like erasing, which would work like the mask reveal tool does currently, except you would lasso a section of the image and all drawings in that area would be erased. The pros are quick usage and better control (especially when using the mouse). The con would be that some people who are used to paint programs might find this weird.

The second option is traditional eraser tool like behaviour, where you draw strokes on the drawing and marks below the stroke disappear. The pro is that it's what most drawing programs do, the cons that setting up the size of the eraser might be a bit painful especially since you want to do it quickly more often than not or with maps with varying scales, and the fact that covering a larger area is more difficult this way.

Which one would you prefer? Also, if you have more grounds this way or that, please tell us.

richvalle
April 28th, 2005, 13:27
Hmm, they both have advantages.

I think I'd like the traditional erasor took better. I have more control over what I'm erasing that way (I feel like anyway).

Maybe we could use the mouse wheel to control the size of the eraser?

rv

Sargond
April 28th, 2005, 16:52
I like the Smaller Eraser style.... But RV's suggestion of an adjustable size using the mouse wheel is a good idea

Cantstanzya
April 28th, 2005, 23:11
I like the eraser idea with the scroll mouse to adjust the size :)

Crusader
April 29th, 2005, 12:26
Yeah, same here - great idea!

gurney9999
April 29th, 2005, 15:16
I like the lasso, as long as it can be easily distinguished from the mask lasso.

kalmarjan
April 29th, 2005, 20:22
Hate to be the devils advocate.... :oops:

But it looks like we are evenly divided between the two, so how about putting both types for erasing?

On another note, are we looking towards "grouping" tokens in any time in the future?

Sandeman

lkj
April 29th, 2005, 23:07
Am I right in assuming that by 'lasso' you mean a select tool that lets you outline the area you want erased? If so, I have to say that that does sound more convenient and easier for larger scale erasing.
It sort of depends on how easy the lasso is to use though. I can see where the eraser might be easier when you are just trying to shave off a bit.

AD

Nalfien
May 1st, 2005, 22:16
I would also like it to be pressure sensitive with the Wacom Tablet.

Aesir
May 6th, 2005, 02:04
The lasso clearing function is counter-intuitive at first, but I find (after getting used to it in OpenRPG fog clearing functions) that it's just faster.

And anything that provides support/functionality for Wacom tablets is ok in my book too. Though in this case, it would be better served using a standard eraser approach, instead of the lasso.