PDA

View Full Version : FG Video Available

gurney9999
April 26th, 2005, 15:22
The hardest thing I found when getting my friends to test FG was explaining to them how to do things over a microphone while they were logged in as a player. I am going to create a video using Live Meeting and post it on my website so they can see all of the features at work.

Things I'm going to include in the video:

Using the Chat Window (Chat, Act, OOC) Using the dice roller Using the Character Sheet The integration of character sheet, dice roller, modifier, and chat window (i.e. drag and drop functionality) The use of the function key short cuts Using maps and icons The DM Functionality (story, NPCs, combat tracker, chatting as NPCs, etc.)Is there anything else I should add? I will be doing this without anyone else logged in, so it won't show that side of things, but I thought this might be useful for people to see. If it turns out good I will post a link to it here so other prospective players can see it (the more the merrier, right?)

richvalle
April 27th, 2005, 01:11
That sounds really good. If I can think of anything to add I'll let you know. You seem to have a pretty compleat list.

rv

gurney9999
April 27th, 2005, 05:05
Well, I did a first pass. I used Live Meeting to record the audio/video, so it's a .wmv file and very grainy... but it's out there and it's a small enough file for most to handle (14 MB).

Video (https://www.murderatavedonhill.com/fantasy_grounds.htm)

Take a look at it if you would and let me know if there is anything you would want added to it (or things I should do better if I try it again).

I misspoke in the video (several times I'm sure, but this one was imortant) because I couldn't remember the name of the website where I downloaded The Wizard's Amulet... I have the campaign loaded into FG in the video, but I certainly don't show enough of it to ruin the story for anyone :)

Adventuresome Dreams (https://www.adventuresomedreams.com/index.php?)

onky
April 27th, 2005, 06:52
The video link doesn't work...

gurney9999
April 27th, 2005, 14:59
The video link doesn't work...Sorry... worked last night... I'm heading home from work for lunch and will check out what happened.

gurney9999
April 27th, 2005, 18:48
Fixed... the file just flat out disappeared... I hope my hosting company isn't getting quirky on me - I've hosted videos on my sites before.

https://www.murderatavedonhill.com/fantasy_grounds.htm

Since the vid is based on 1.03 I'm definitely going to redo it; any suggestions/comments on the video are appreciated (since I'm still learning the app).

Dupre
April 27th, 2005, 19:29
Having watched the whole 21 minutes, we could almost rename that to FGManual.wmv :lol:

From a usability point of view, it was interesting to see where you clicked in order to perform certain tasks as there are quite often more than one way of doing things.

gurney9999
April 27th, 2005, 20:48
Yes it is probably too long... :wink:

and I'm sure from a usability standpoint I am far behind some of the more seasoned DMs... if anyone has better ways of doing things let me know so I can incorporate them in the next (i.e. shorter :) ) version.

onky
April 27th, 2005, 23:40
Looks great! :) The movie itself was kinda jerky which makes some functionalities less obvious in how they work, but other than that, great:)

gurney9999
April 28th, 2005, 02:04
Yeah, not too many frames per second... next time I'll move slower for certain things to make sure they are captured clearly in the video.

Sargond
April 28th, 2005, 16:49
Despite the jerkiness in the video, I thought you did a fine job :D

gurney9999
May 3rd, 2005, 14:36
Holding off doing the updated version of the video... I'm having my first session with players on Thursday and want to get that experience in before redoing it.

mrgrimm
May 13th, 2005, 05:47
All I can say is Cool! I bought this program some time ago (the GM Edition) and haven't done anything with it since then. I bought it cause I thought it looked cool and was a good idea. Once I got into it and read the manual I realized that the manual doesn't tell you much and that there was way much more to it. I was not ready or maybe didn't have the motivation to attempt to find out until now. This video is a great idea!
I hope you are taking notes Smiteworks. Another program, that does the same thing as Fantasy Grounds, does the video thing. I think having video tutorials is a great idea. Fantasy Grounds could definitely benefit from it.

Here is a list of "future" video tutorials that I think would help immensely.

Entering an Adventure into Fantasy Grounds.
Changing rulesets
Setting it up for the first time (for routers and such).
shortcuts (kinda already done but can be expanded upon)
Editing rulesets or creating your own.
Example gameplay (with players)
Weekly/Monthly recaps of game sessions.

Oh the possiblities are endless!

Please, please, please more of this!

Now if this was already discussed earlier on... please disregard all my comments and slap me with a dead carp.

Mr. Grimm

gurney9999
May 13th, 2005, 15:36
I got to run a session Tuesday night. I hope to find time to redo the video next week. If I get really inspired maybe I'll break it up into small videos on each bit of functionality.

I think the biggest need for a tutorial is how to most efficiently use the drag and drop functionality/modifier/chat window/function key shortcuts. I went over a lot of this in the video but there are multiple ways of doing things and it can be very confusing for a new player/prospective buyer.

I'll see what I can do, but maybe Smite Works will take the lead on this and do a better job of it... :wink:

Thumbscrews
May 13th, 2005, 20:52
I thought the video is great. Thanks a lot.

* Could you improve the volume level? On my system, at least, I needed to crank the knob to the 3 o'clock position.

* The skipped frames occasionally made it hard to follow the action of the pointer.

* If you need hosting for vids, I could co-host.

I concur with a previous poster--more vids please, including tips and best practices. :)

gurney9999
May 13th, 2005, 21:58
Yes, I will do better with the volume....
I will go slower with mouse drags this time...
I'm okay with the hosting for right now... but if I do multiple vids in the future I might take you up on it.

Feanor_Finwed
May 14th, 2005, 05:10
Hello again Gurneyman.

This video was the "sell point" for me and FG. I purchased it today, and have been messing around a bit with it this evening.

As I've told you elsewhere, I think you did a very good job of explaining the basic functionality of most of the features people will be interested in right off the bat.

I don't know how much about NetMeeting, but my comments:

Increase the volume a bit,

Speak a little slower,

Move the mouse a bit more slowly, and

If you have the "daylight" setting or whatever that thing is that controls the "feel" of the room, make sure it is on daylight (it seemed to be "dark" in the video, like you were in "around the campfire" mode).This may have just been the video compression, though.

Hey, it was a bit lengthy, but it was interesting. I did pause the demo at one point, but came right back and fired it up.

Again, thanks for providing this.

Regards,

Feanor

Thumbscrews
May 14th, 2005, 22:01
Oh, forgot to ask, what software did you use to record your actions and voice?

gurney9999
May 15th, 2005, 03:18
Microsoft Live Meeting...

Feanor... thanks for the comments. It was definitely the video capture that made it darker.

I have a friend who has Fraps... maybe I could use that next time and edit it in Adobe Premier.

mrgrimm
May 28th, 2005, 03:33
Any word on a new video coming out gurney9999?

gurney9999
May 28th, 2005, 04:14
sorry, I haven't had time to work on a new video. In the process of creating content for a campaign I'm running through FG. Learning how to do this has certainly shown me some topics for future videos though.

mrgrimm
May 28th, 2005, 23:05
aww that's too bad.... but that's good... ;-)

Amaril
June 3rd, 2005, 04:53
I'm pretty sure you can get really good quality video and audio using the free Windows Media Encoder application from Microsoft. It allows motion screen capturing for software demos, too.

https://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx

Mithrindir
June 9th, 2005, 01:15
Hey thanks for taking the time to put that video together. I think that will help allot of people.

gurney9999
June 10th, 2005, 19:37
I have to do some video tutorials for an application at work over the next two weeks. I 'm hoping to find time to redo this one and maybe do another one on content creation.

BRiM
July 20th, 2005, 15:03
Any news on those vids? Can't wait to see them!!!

BRiM

gurney9999
July 21st, 2005, 04:12
sorry nothing yet. Real life getting in the way. I'll post again when I have time to get back into the video making :)

Xaltar
July 21st, 2005, 14:31
I just watched this for the first time and I would want all of my players to watch the entire thing before the first game. Sure it was a little long, but all of the information was good, and I would rather pause it then having to watch a bunch of individual sections. Maybe "advanced" future videos for specific functions could be shorter, but I would leave this one as is.

Thank you for taking the time to help the rest of us!

Snikle
August 21st, 2005, 19:12
Yeah I have to agree this was pretty good. Only thing I would add is maybe work up a little script, or if nothing else maybe an outline so you can hit certain topics. This might also help with the ahs and uhs. :) I downloaded the microsoft software, if I knew more about FG I would do up some videos myself, but heck I just bought it yesterday.
Also i would suggest breaking them down into small videos with maybe one or two primary topics per video.
As an experienced DM just beginning to learn to use this, any tips and tricks or short cuts that you might have picked up, now that would be great!

gurney9999
August 23rd, 2005, 18:34
you want some fries with that? :)

Yes, uh, I admit I am not a public speaker. I hope the vid continues to be a help for people and I will leave it out there as long as it is being viewed.

Maybe some more technology oriented folks can continue what I started. I'm afraid my time for gaming has gotten cut to a bare minimum lately (new baby coming, trying to finish book, trying to learn CC2 Pro, etc.), so the little time I have I like to use playing. If anyone else has experience with creating videos and wants to expand on this, feel free to use this post as a starting point.

Good playing!

Snikle
August 23rd, 2005, 21:25
LOL

Sorry, just was saying if we wanted to really do this things right, those were my thoughts on it. And yeah, I know what you mean about time.

Andugus
March 23rd, 2007, 00:02
Is this video still relevant AND available anywhere?