PDA

View Full Version : how do you convert a PDF into a module?

mattllow
April 25th, 2005, 20:44
I have heard mention on the forums here, that it is easy to convert a PDF into a module. However I for the life of me cant figure this out. Can someone walk me through this? Thanks for helping a noob out.

richvalle
April 25th, 2005, 21:33
Two ways. One is just cut and paste into the story pages. Second is to convert the whole document into Word and then use the Word to Xml converter (a link posted here somewhere also on www.adventuresomedreams.com). Copy the xml into FG and start it up and the story should be there in all its glory.

If its not very big cut and paste is probaby easyier. If it is large, try the converter. You'll probably have to give it a go a couple of times to get the hang of it (the 'special' characters that xml does not reconize are a pain) but you'll get it.

Hope that helps.

rv

mattllow
April 25th, 2005, 22:36
I take it you need to use the OCR in adobe to recognize the characters then copy them to word? The OCR is awful. On that note though, how do you just copy and paste to your story board? ctrl c and ctrl v dont seem to do anything that i can see? Am i missing something? thanks again for all the help.

Rich you seem to live on the boards here ;)

mattllow
April 25th, 2005, 23:40
Nevermind Im an idiot I figured it out how to copy and paste. However the OCR thing still doesnt work.

richvalle
April 26th, 2005, 01:49
Nevermind Im an idiot I figured it out how to copy and paste. However the OCR thing still doesnt work.

Sorry... if you are copying and pasting what ocr do you need? Can't you just copy from the pdf and paste into the story pages in FG?

Sigh... I know. I spend way to much time here and at Adventuresome dreams. Oh well... it IS my hobby after all! :)

rv

mattllow
April 26th, 2005, 05:31
I can copy and paste anything i type into word just fine, but i cant select the text in the pdf unless i OCR. unless im missing something.

lkj
April 26th, 2005, 06:04
I'm guessing the problem is that the pdf you have is a pdf of an image rather than text. In many pdf files, you can copy and paste text using the text selector tool in Adobe. If the 'text' is actually an image, then of course the text selector won't let you select it.

Cheers,
AD

tarrasque
April 27th, 2005, 14:46
some pdf's have the text embedded in them, some dont. I have used ABByy finereader 7 with some success..it actually works on PDF pages rather than you having to convert the PDF to seperate images first

i have tried 3 or 4 different OCR programs and this is the best one so far :)

chris

Kurgan
December 16th, 2006, 04:49
Edit: Oops, sorry. Posted in wrong thread.

Salar
December 17th, 2006, 18:44
Using Adobe Acrobat Standard or Proffessional you can use Document>>>Paper Capture menu options to use the embedded OCR option, I don't think the free reader has the option though.
John