PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer

M.A.T.T.
April 21st, 2005, 09:50
Has anyone developed a rule Set for Warhammer FRP? A friend of mine would like to run a Warhammer game and I guess all that is really needed is a Character sheet designed for Warhammer.

Anyone working on this??
:)

AzureaSkyes
April 21st, 2005, 10:05
I'm working on getting WFRP second edition stuff done for FG at the moment. I don't have an exact date for completing tho. Currently awaiting permission from Black Industries/GW to distribute WFRP related material for use in FG.

M.A.T.T.
April 21st, 2005, 10:08
Ya know, I saw your posts about d100 issues and your mention of playing Warhammer... and I thought... that's the guy!! He'll save us.. lol

Good luck and let me know if you need any help. My Brother-in-law is the Warhammer madmen, so he'll probably be willing to do what he can.. just isn't too sure about XML editing etc. but he's pretty switched on!!

thanks for the reply.

Yraen
April 21st, 2005, 10:17
My Brother-in-law is the Warhammer madmen...

The Warhammer madman, am I? I can't make such a boast. "A Warhammer madman" perhaps, but not "The". :D

...so he'll probably be willing to do what he can.. just isn't too sure about XML editing etc. but he's pretty switched on!!

Praise from the praiseworthy :D

But, seriously, if I could just get me head around XML editing, I'd be off the starting blocks like a shot.

AzureaSkyes
April 21st, 2005, 10:17
Well, if you've been following the threads, you will realize that the D100 issue is more of a design decision rather than a specific "bug". I've worked out how to add d100 to the /die command.

wrt WFRP players, the biggest problem is that unless GW give permission to include their material, I can make the ruleset for my own group, but i can't give it to you.

It would be nice, but highly unlikely, that they will allow the equivalent of the mini-srd booklet or the monster book to be created. So you are looking mainly at a character sheet.

If you go to GW's intellectual property page on their main site you will see the kind of problems any third party developer has to consider. Whether we offer up the stuff for free or not.

At least we arent making stuff for EverQuest RPG... if you look at what Sony have allowed to be open content, you'll realize that it is very little. (You can't mention the names of their races for example).

M.A.T.T.
April 21st, 2005, 10:25
So you can use the stuff you create for private/personal use right? So how do we become part of the same private group?? Hmmm see what I did there?

I obviously wouldn't want to infringe any licensing and it's not like we are talking mass distribution or publishing. I'm sure GW will see that this is merely a tool that could broaden game awareness and not a copyright issue. Let us know how you get on..

AzureaSkyes
April 21st, 2005, 10:29
XML editing, as done in FG, is actually pretty easy to get your head around. The hard part is that the file structures haven't been published yet, so you have to do a lot of looking at the example adventure to see how things are constructed. (Rather like working out what a tablemaster table does after you lost your manual and the company has gone hehe).

If you've ever made a web page using notepad then you will have a good headstart on what XML is about.

I'm not going to launch into a big discussion about xml here. There are a ton of tutorials on the web... https://www.devguru.com/Features/tutorials/XML/beginning_xml.html for example.

AzureaSkyes
April 21st, 2005, 10:33
Oh well, joining my crusade for happy smiling alternatives to d20 isn't hard... just send me messages here or by e-mail. :)

If it means I get a few more players (and GM's) wheeeeee

Our physical gaming group currently plays Warmachine, WFRP, Inquisitor, and the Iron Kingdoms RPG (d20). So I am not anti-d20 as such, but I'm all for promoting alternatives.

cogollo
April 22nd, 2005, 09:46
I would be happy to help you with a WHFRP2 conversion, if you need some help. I have bought the books and am running a campaign with some friends. It would be very nice to be able to have Warhammer in Fantasy Grounds.

Please send a message when you get the permission from Black Industries. Meanwhile, I will start messing with FG datasets (I have used XML while programming at work).

M.A.T.T.
April 22nd, 2005, 09:49
Excellent news cogollo, and experienced in XML too...

< :twisted: we can make use of this one Master, oh yes :twisted: >

AzureaSkyes
April 22nd, 2005, 15:12
Whoo.. great Cogollo!
I am probably going to begin work on the WFRP set, but not release it until I get permission. (I am hoping that will just be a formality).

I have set up a closed yahoo group, for the development project and we can post files there as we go. Any interested parties should go to https://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/azureawfrp/ for more information.

Yraen
April 24th, 2005, 16:45
That is most excellent news.