PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e "Space Marine Chaplain" build HELP

Diomitus
March 11th, 2016, 22:51
Please stop me if this is the wrong place to post this.

I am trying to build what is essentially a space marine chaplain from warhammer 40k (Grimaldus of the Black Templars specifically), but have them in Forgotten Realms setting.

I wasn't going for the whole soldier/fighter/shooter because chaplains are priests and mostly they are melee combat/buff allies.

I started out as a cleric of the war domain, but now I'm thinking that I maybe should have gone Paladin.

This is mostly for an RP standpoint, but also I want to be able to be in the fray, protecting allies, buffing them, and cleaving skulls.

Any suggestions? I'm wide open.

spite
March 12th, 2016, 00:29
If you're wanting to be in the fray, Paladin is definitely a good idea, war clerics are very well and good with a good range of buffs, but lack the damage output of paladins. From a purely fluffy standpoint though clerics are good, I think channel divinity fits the channeling the divine psyker powers of the old bonebag on the throne a bit better'n divine smite.

Diomitus
March 12th, 2016, 01:52
Any thoughts on multiclassing between the 2?

Also, I'm a bit of a rookie, what does fluff mean exactly?

spite
March 12th, 2016, 01:55
Fluff refers to the story/RP/background of things, usually relates to lore or story. As opposed to "crunch" which refers to the mechanics and rules-functions of games.

Diomitus
March 12th, 2016, 02:08
Much obliged!

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 11:40
I disagree with spite :)

I'd go with Paladin. From what I remember of the Warhammer 40k stuff big armour and even bigger swords are the way to go. And Paladin also gets Channel Divinity, and some very useful spells and big swords :)

Diomitus
March 12th, 2016, 13:05
The Oaths and Auras are what are really kinda pulling me towards Paladin, but the whole "warrior priest" aspect is obvious with cleric.

Am I being too concerned with the fluff?

Zacchaeus
March 12th, 2016, 13:11
The Oaths and Auras are what are really kinda pulling me towards Paladin, but the whole "warrior priest" aspect is obvious with cleric.

Am I being too concerned with the fluff?

No, D&D allows you to make up your own fluff; so you're not bound by what it says in the PHB or anywhere else really. I agree that the Oaths and Auras are what I'd be looking at for W40K and it wouldn't be too hard to leave the function as they stand but to create fluff around them.