PDA

View Full Version : Bloggers wanted

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 14:27
Are you interested in writing a blog about your experience gaming or with Fantasy Grounds? If so, let me know and I can add you to the Bloggers group. This will open up the ability to post your blog here on the site. Furthermore, if we really like your content, we may reach out to you to see if we can share links to your content out across the various social channels that we use (Facebook, G+ and Twitter.)

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 15:04
I am more than happy to share my experiences as a new gamer, a lady gamer, but hey anyone want to suggest what I can call it? I seem better at offering suggestions to others than naming this myself.

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 15:05
"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 15:08
"Where there's a whip, there's a way!"
You have been reading my posts.

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 15:23
I have decided to go with St. Ellspeth of the Whip, Dune fans will guess who MY favourite character is in those books, so it is a synthesis. Yeah I know I ain't no saint before all you guys who play with me chime in. But go ahead anyway, hit me with your best shot.

jshauber
March 11th, 2016, 15:43
I have decided to go with St. Ellspeth of the Whip, Dune fans will guess who MY favourite character is in those books, so it is a synthesis. Yeah I know I ain't no saint before all you guys who play with me chime in. But go ahead anyway, hit me with your best shot.

AND she listens to Pat Benetar!!!

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 16:05
That's okay because Pat Benetar is awesome.

Black Hammer
March 11th, 2016, 18:19
What sort of content are you looking for? I'm not really one for discussing my personal life or recounting those tacky "There I was" character stories, but I've been in contact with enough kinds of gaming over the years to have experience with a variety of gaming styles and systems.

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 18:53
Anything you want. Is it a way to bring back together people who played together in the past but grew apart physically? Do you use it to run games more efficiently than you did without it? If so, what is the process you follow? Do you run pre-loaded content and it saves you time or are you building your own custom content? How does FG help or hinder this process? Those are just a few ideas.

damned
March 12th, 2016, 00:33
That's okay because Pat Benetar is awesome.

and if we want some more kick arse female rockers lets do some Joan Jett and Chrissy Amphlett.

Ellspeth
March 12th, 2016, 00:38
Ha, this old lady's first serious rock album was Black Sabbath's Paranoid the Christmas I was 14. My mother was horrified when she actually heard the music, I swore then I would never judge music as poor because it wasn't what I had grown up with. Pat Benatar and Madonna were my daughter's generation of rock stars. Me I was more the Janis Joplin Joan Baez generation. And now with the grandchildren it is Eminem and Dragonforce, all of which I enjoy for different reasons. Was it Heart that did Barracuda? I have music that covers everything from the ragtime my dad loved, to the swing that my aunts and uncles danced to right through the present. Here's a tip, stay current if you can with your children and grandchildren, you will NEVER grow old
PS: my secret favourite music is Steppenwolf, Iron Butterfly, AC|DC and Pink Floyd. I just busted the grandmother stereotype all to hell.
P.S.S looking for bloggers is the original topic here, so perhaps it is time to point out to some of you I wrote my first entry today, and I guessing I posed a question there most of you have never been asked about your games. I should love to hear your answers.

Black Hammer
March 12th, 2016, 01:32
Anything you want. Is it a way to bring back together people who played together in the past but grew apart physically? Do you use it to run games more efficiently than you did without it? If so, what is the process you follow? Do you run pre-loaded content and it saves you time or are you building your own custom content? How does FG help or hinder this process? Those are just a few ideas.

So you're mainly looking for stuff related to Fantasy Grounds? General gaming I can do, but FG itself I just haven't had enough success with to say much about. Could probably cook up a couple of posts, but not too much past that.

and if we want some more kick arse female rockers lets do some Joan Jett and Chrissy Amphlett.

Grace Slick and Annie Haslam deserve a mention too, with "White Rabbit" being notable for being one of the few pieces of music I've seen used in TV advertisements for an RPG.

leozelig
March 12th, 2016, 03:04
My group is starting Hoard of the Dragon Queen on FG, so I could do a blog about the campaign focusing on FG features with some actual play highlights mixed in. I am playing (not hosting) in that one, but I have plenty of experience as a GM.

I can also write about my more recent experiences recruiting for DCC RPG (with mixed results) and how I prep for a game. I've spent quite a bit of time making portraits and learning some basic cartography, so those would probably be good things to cover along the way.

Calisto
March 12th, 2016, 19:52
Please add me as well. My story is a classic one... I'm an old school D&D player / DM going back to the 1st edition days. Work, kids, distance have made it tough to get the old gang together. With 5e we regained an interest in the hobby, with Fantasy Grounds we're actually able to get around the virtual table again. We've only played 2 sessions so far but it's been fun. Planning to start Curse of Strahd when it's release on FG and I may just blog about our adventures together.

Hector Trelane
March 12th, 2016, 20:07
How many words and how much eye candy do you want to see in a good post?

damned
March 13th, 2016, 00:18
How many words and how much eye candy do you want to see in a good post?

enough words to say something interesting and not enough to make my wander off to other topics!

ddavison
March 13th, 2016, 00:30
I have added everyone that expressed interest here to the Bloggers group. This should open up the Blog options. If you have any pics to insert, those are always nice too.

Myrdin Potter
March 13th, 2016, 06:38
I posted this link when I wrote this blog entry a while ago:

https://mgpotter.com/playing-dungeons-and-dragons-again-online-this-time/

I have not written on the game since that post, but we play every week and I am planning on writing off and on about the subject. I am writing in my general blog three times a week (CFO topic, hobbies topic and a book review) so I certainly will write on FG in the future as well.

Does the blog have to be here only or can I post to my main site and cross post here?

ddavison
March 13th, 2016, 15:20
I think you can blog here or on your own site. Whatever you are comfortable with. I sent that link over to Raddu to check out. It looks pretty good, although I think a few things may have changed since you first wrote it. For instance, there is now a fully functional 30-day trial that we recommend over the Demo for new groups wanting to test stuff out. To do that, they need to run a subscription and just cancel it before the 30-days are up to avoid being billed. They do need to maintain the subscription until they are done with the trial though.

The other thing that I was not 100% sure of was whether or not you knew that you could stretch the display across two monitors. Because FG launches a bunch of windows, I find this to be easier as the DM. I share all the maps on the left-most monitor and keep the GM-specific stuff on my right monitor.

Myrdin Potter
March 13th, 2016, 15:38
I do stretch it over two monitors but that is not full functionality. I would prefer to be able to drag sub windows over to a monitor. I do that with web sheet tabs and other sub windows in other programs. Even with dragged over two windows it is somewhat particular and clicking on the wrong place snaps it back to one screen.

I did mention the subscription option in my original post. I am much better at using the software now (I played eve online for years, FG will not defeat me :-) ) and am planning on another post on the experience.

The absolute worst for me is needing my own IP address. I travel a lot to China and it is always a struggle to get a VPN to work and then get the game going in my hotel room.

Skillkoil
March 14th, 2016, 17:23
Since I do it for a living I would be more than happy to blog for FG. You can check out some of my work here:

https://dcludlum.wordpress.com

rob2e
March 14th, 2016, 20:09
Hey Doug, I'd be happy to blog about my experiences. I play and DM using FG, and starting today actually, I will be using FG to run an IRL game with my home players. I'm also on the DM team for Adventurers League online, as well as being a local WotC coordinator for Spokane, WA.

ddavison
March 14th, 2016, 20:41
Skillkoil and Rob2e, you are both set up as bloggers now here on the forums. Skillkoil, if you decide you want to blog from your existing site, just let us know when you have an article and we can share that with our social media channels. We are looking for voluntary blogging at this time, but we might be able to budget for paid bloggers at some point in the future. I'm not really sure how that normally works out or if it's even a good idea from a "bias" standpoint. I would need to do some more research there first -- but we aren't ready for that right now anyway.

rob2e
March 14th, 2016, 20:43
Skillkoil and Rob2e, you are both set up as bloggers now here on the forums. Skillkoil, if you decide you want to blog from your existing site, just let us know when you have an article and we can share that with our social media channels. We are looking for voluntary blogging at this time, but we might be able to budget for paid bloggers at some point in the future. I'm not really sure how that normally works out or if it's even a good idea from a "bias" standpoint. I would need to do some more research there first -- but we aren't ready for that right now anyway.

ThanX Doug.

Phystus
March 15th, 2016, 19:05
Doug,

I would love to do some blogging. I've been playing D&D since 1979, and I got my old college gaming group back together using FG in 2008, and we're still going strong. I've done some presentations at a local convention about using VTT's to reunite an old gaming group, and I think I could turn that into some blog posts pretty readily.

Thanks,

~P (Walt)

ddavison
March 15th, 2016, 19:55
Doug,

I would love to do some blogging. I've been playing D&D since 1979, and I got my old college gaming group back together using FG in 2008, and we're still going strong. I've done some presentations at a local convention about using VTT's to reunite an old gaming group, and I think I could turn that into some blog posts pretty readily.

Thanks,

~P (Walt)

Thanks Walt. I have added you to the Bloggers group.

bigbluepaw
March 15th, 2016, 19:56
I'd be interested as well. I blog for work.

I'm a fairly new GM, starting up after doing it in NWN years ago. Finding the 'theatre of the mind' stuff much more vivid than CRPGs.

I'm developing a new campaign following the Angry GM's guidance.

ddavison
March 15th, 2016, 20:03
bigbluepaw, a blog from the perspective of someone who played a lot of NWN would be pretty interesting. Added.

Myrdin Potter
April 14th, 2016, 14:35
What do I need to do to actually post a blog now?

https://mgpotter.com/in-the-name-of-the-ocelot-benefits-of-role-playing/

That is my latest blog that mentions fantasy grounds.

And to be clear, you are welcome to repost any of my public blogs on your social media account.

ddavison
April 14th, 2016, 16:19
Great. Thanks for sharing your experience.

jajen2003
April 14th, 2016, 16:54
Good morning, Doug. I'd like to blog for FG, if you'll have me.

ddavison
April 14th, 2016, 18:17
Thanks J,

I added you to the bloggers group. Note that I think the New Post option in the blogging section isn't visible on phones and tablets from what I can tell.

chanceboon
April 14th, 2016, 19:07
If you don't think you've got enough already, I could give it a whack. I've been playing since '79 and did a short stint with Black Dog studios (right around the release time of HOL). I think I can come up with some stories...maybe...

ddavison
April 14th, 2016, 19:10
Sure. The more, the merrier. You've been added.

Mortar
April 14th, 2016, 21:35
I started one off site after you originally posted this - I originally planned on doing a bit more of a write up on my experiences creating Weird Wars Rome - but never made it that far. I think i will save that for project number 2 (which is already underway). Just posted about what made FG-Con8 so successful for me. I can link it if you want or people can go through my signature. Not really a fun post to write for me though.

jasonthelamb
April 15th, 2016, 02:50
I'd be down for doing this, Doug!

ddavison
April 15th, 2016, 02:55
Mortar, you are now part of the Bloggers group. Jasonthelamb, you should already have it. Note that I don't think the interface works well on tablets or phones, though, so please check your desktop for the New Post option under the blogging section.

Bullfighter
April 15th, 2016, 04:13
I am new to FG but not to RPG's. What type of blogging are you looking for? Video, write-ups, or something else.

LordEntrails
April 22nd, 2016, 00:26
Please add me to the bloggers list.

ddavison
April 22nd, 2016, 01:08
Added

Remedeez
December 15th, 2016, 16:42
Is this Bloggers list still open? I'd love to post to my blog here, I'm currently drafting up a 5E Crafting System for use in FG, and am just dying to share my progress on it before its a finished product.
See: 16926
Aside from that, I'd love to have a place to blog about all the homebrewing I've been doing. :)
Thanks in advance for your consideration!

ddavison
December 15th, 2016, 17:10
Is this Bloggers list still open? I'd love to post to my blog here, I'm currently drafting up a 5E Crafting System for use in FG, and am just dying to share my progress on it before its a finished product.

No problem. I have added you to the Bloggers group, so it should add new options for you in the forum menus. Nice work on the crafting system too.

MarianDz
December 15th, 2016, 17:51
Welcome "Remedeez" in FG community & especially in bloggers group :)

Remedeez
December 15th, 2016, 18:43
No problem. I have added you to the Bloggers group, so it should add new options for you in the forum menus. Nice work on the crafting system too.

Awesome, thank you, ddavison!

Welcome "Remedeez" in FG community & especially in bloggers group :)

Thanks so much MarianDz!

C8kiemonstr
December 17th, 2016, 20:29
I would love to be a blogger and share some of my content and experiences with FG

ddavison
December 17th, 2016, 20:44
I would love to be a blogger and share some of my content and experiences with FG

No problem. I have added you to the Bloggers group as well.

Answulf
December 19th, 2016, 01:40
Hi Doug, I'm inspired and would like to start keeping a blog as well!

ddavison
December 19th, 2016, 13:43
Hi Doug, I'm inspired and would like to start keeping a blog as well!

Awesome. You are now a member of the blogger group.

LordEntrails
January 2nd, 2017, 22:58
So, I finally started my blog. Made the first blog entry and now want to make a second but the New Blog button is gone... Can I only make 1 entry per day or...?

LordEntrails
January 2nd, 2017, 23:35
So, I finally started my blog. Made the first blog entry and now want to make a second but the New Blog button is gone... Can I only make 1 entry per day or...?
Not sure if I was hallucinating before or what. The direct link is https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/blog_post.php?do=newblog

Mortar
January 2nd, 2017, 23:42
Upper right corner on the blog page/list there is a "Create New Post" button.

mhorgunn
January 3rd, 2017, 12:01
If the blogger list is still open I would like to. Thanks!

ddavison
January 3rd, 2017, 14:31
If the blogger list is still open I would like to. Thanks!

In the words of Yoda, "a blogger you are now."

mhorgunn
January 3rd, 2017, 16:19
I am honored.

LindseyFan
January 31st, 2017, 21:13
I think I am ready to start a blog if you all want to hear what I have to say. :) I want to do a blog about text only gaming for those who are members of that niche.

ddavison
January 31st, 2017, 21:14
I think I am ready to start a blog if you all want to hear what I have to say. :) I want to do a blog about text only gaming for those who are members of that niche.

Good deal. You are now officially a member of the Bloggers group.

LindseyFan
February 7th, 2017, 00:47
Good deal. You are now officially a member of the Bloggers group.
Thanks so much! I have begun my task... :)

A question though, how do I change the title of my blog? It currently calls itself "LindseyFan", but I would rather it be something like "Text Club".

LordEntrails
February 7th, 2017, 01:07
Thanks so much! I have begun my task... :)A question though, how do I change the title of my blog? It currently calls itself "LindseyFan", but I would rather it be something like "Text Club".It's a secret, I won't tell!

Don't do the following;
- Goto your one of your blog posts
- Over in the bottom right where it says Categories, click the Edit Pencil
- That opens the Blog settings page, from there you can select "Edit Title and Description"

Or, just don't go to this link (if it works): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/blog_usercp.php?do=editprofile

LindseyFan
February 7th, 2017, 01:08
It's a secret, I won't tell!Don't do the following;- Goto your one of your blog posts- Over in the bottom right where it says Categories, click the Edit Pencil- That opens the Blog settings page, from there you can select "Edit Title and Description"Or, just don't go to this link (if it works): https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/blog_usercp.php?do=editprofile
Rolls dice behind her DM screen and smiles.

skj310
February 21st, 2017, 12:42
Hi Doug,

Can you add me to the bloggers group. I am more than willing to contribute some "How to's..." here and there.

ddavison
February 21st, 2017, 14:54
Hi Doug,

Can you add me to the bloggers group. I am more than willing to contribute some "How to's..." here and there.

You have been added.

GunnarGreybeard
July 11th, 2017, 09:43
Hi Doug,

Can I be added to the Bloggers group as well?

ddavison
July 11th, 2017, 13:32
Hi Doug,

Can I be added to the Bloggers group as well?

You are now a member of the Bloggers group.

vainazzo
July 11th, 2017, 16:39
Are you interested in writing a blog about your experience gaming or with Fantasy Grounds? If so, let me know and I can add you to the Bloggers group. This will open up the ability to post your blog here on the site. Furthermore, if we really like your content, we may reach out to you to see if we can share links to your content out across the various social channels that we use (Facebook, G+ and Twitter.)

What if I can't shut up about fantasygrounds in my podcast... WWW.Gamestoreprophets.com

ddavison
July 11th, 2017, 18:24
What if I can't shut up about fantasygrounds in my podcast... WWW.Gamestoreprophets.com

Hopefully it's mostly good things about Fantasy Grounds. :D

I added your user account to the blogger group in case you wanted to do any blogging here as well.

mlesnews
October 1st, 2018, 19:33
Greetings Doug,
I would like to request to be added to the blogger's group. Thanks in advance!

ddavison
October 1st, 2018, 19:49
Greetings Doug,
I would like to request to be added to the blogger's group. Thanks in advance!

You should be all set.

vainazzo
October 1st, 2018, 21:38
Crap!!! How am I just now seeing this?!??

Wintermute
March 10th, 2019, 17:14
Hey Doug, I've got a few things I want to say. Can you add me to the group please.

Thanks.

ddavison
March 10th, 2019, 19:42
You are now a respected member of the Bloggers group. Blog away.

MooCow
December 17th, 2019, 05:47
Should I post here about wanting a blog? I already sent a join request to the group 1-2 days ago.

ddavison
December 19th, 2019, 20:08
Should I post here about wanting a blog? I already sent a join request to the group 1-2 days ago.

Hey MooCow, you should now have blogging permission. Thanks.

RunningWolf
December 21st, 2019, 13:49
Think I may have requested, still don;t have enough coffee in my system to have the short term memory kick in :)

Long time gamer (my first set of dice and first computer are long past being old enough to drink in bars) but newbe for VTTs. Would be cool to document the learning curve of going from complete FG newbe to being able to develop some content.

ddavison
December 21st, 2019, 15:21
Think I may have requested, still don;t have enough coffee in my system to have the short term memory kick in :)

Long time gamer (my first set of dice and first computer are long past being old enough to drink in bars) but newbe for VTTs. Would be cool to document the learning curve of going from complete FG newbe to being able to develop some content.

I don't remember seeing a request, but you have been added to the Bloggers group now.

Wizards Ghost
June 19th, 2020, 16:38

Hi,
i am intrested in (but new to) blogging here about my ongoing campins and my experiance with fgc / fgu, and would be very happy if you could add me to the bloggers group. I will session recaps in german language sometimes.

ddavison
June 19th, 2020, 21:37
Hi,
i am intrested in (but new to) blogging here about my ongoing campins and my experiance with fgc / fgu, and would be very happy if you could add me to the bloggers group. I will session recaps in german language sometimes.

Blog away.

Sarteck
June 20th, 2020, 02:26
Hello,

I'm particularly interested in this.

I currently weekly run a group of 6 players. 4 are from Roll20, one I picked up here, and another is a friend of one of the current players. We run sessions on Saturdays from 14:00 EDT for 4-6 hours, typically. I have a Group set up on here for the campaign with several topics, and I could even set up the blog to link to the group and vice versa. We also record our sessions and (starting with last session) publicly stream them on YouTube.

Years ago, when I admined a vB3 forum and we upgraded to vB4, I wanted to use the Blog feature, but didn't really "get it," and I guess I still am a bit lost to it, hahaha. (The upgrade was a nightmare because I was unprepared, especially with MySQL at the time.)

[EDIT] Just realiuzed i was replying to a somewhat necro'd thread, only read the first few posts and didn't see the date. XD

LordEntrails
June 20th, 2020, 02:34
[EDIT] Just realiuzed i was replying to a somewhat necro'd thread, only read the first few posts and didn't see the date. XD
That's ok. This thread is still the right place to post for those who want to be able to create and post their own blog on the FG blogs.

ddavison
June 20th, 2020, 04:25
Hello,

I'm particularly interested in this.

I currently weekly run a group of 6 players. 4 are from Roll20, one I picked up here, and another is a friend of one of the current players. We run sessions on Saturdays from 14:00 EDT for 4-6 hours, typically. I have a Group set up on here for the campaign with several topics, and I could even set up the blog to link to the group and vice versa. We also record our sessions and (starting with last session) publicly stream them on YouTube.

Years ago, when I admined a vB3 forum and we upgraded to vB4, I wanted to use the Blog feature, but didn't really "get it," and I guess I still am a bit lost to it, hahaha. (The upgrade was a nightmare because I was unprepared, especially with MySQL at the time.)

You have been added to the Bloggers group. blog away