PDA

View Full Version : LFG - One-Shot sub-forum added

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 14:25
Thanks to Ellspeth's suggestion, I have added a sub-forum for the Looking for Group section that is focused specifically for one-shot games that can be run during a single session. Please post all your new recruiting threads there and consider moving any of your existing threads there as well if you are still recruiting. If you need help with that, feel free to link the thread here and a moderator will help move it on your behalf.

If it looks like it is getting buried as a sub-forum, I may promote it up one level to be side-by-side with the standard LFG forum. I want to minimize confusing though by providing a single place to go.

Mask_of_winter
March 11th, 2016, 14:36
Thank you so much for that!

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 14:59
I want to acknowledge here the suggestion originally came from Mask, but I see it as an excellent way to highlight newer GM's who generally test themselves with one shots, older GM's trying out new material, and hopefully as time passes a lot more of those new GM's will be women. You guys are great.

Skellan
March 11th, 2016, 15:04
This is a great idea

ddavison
March 11th, 2016, 15:06
Mask does have some good ideas. Don't tell him I said that. His head will get too big.

Mask_of_winter
March 11th, 2016, 15:32
Who? Me?
https://ryanleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/mr-medulla.jpg

Black Hammer
March 11th, 2016, 18:21
Am I allowed to be negative and ask if we're sure it's a good idea to further split the game listings up? As it is, there's already at least three (main one, Pathfinder Society, 5E one). It's hardly a trial and tribulation to click through a few more threads, but burying game postings one layer deeper isn't going to get them any more attention.

darrenan
March 11th, 2016, 19:42
I don't think the intention was getting those games more attention. Rather, for those folks only looking for one-shots it's a way to reduce the noise.

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 20:04
Darrenan, not just those looking for only one shots, but many new players less familiar with the forums may find it easier to find those threads where they can try out games, meet people without a long commitment, or while they wait for a campaign to open new seats. It helps players who might unexpectedly have free time when they expected to be playing rapidly check to see if there is something they could drop into. Most new GM's tend to try out with a one shot first, and if like me kind of lack the confidence to keep bumping a post rapidly buried, and may wonder if the lack of sign ups is a real lack of interest. A place where older GM's who test new material with one shots can also reach the newest players. It also clarifies to all players these games ARE one shots and not campaigns if that is all they really want to look for. In a place where there are so many choices, for some of us it helps a bit to see clear distinctions in those choices.

Black Hammer
March 11th, 2016, 20:12
My suggestion would be to make it a forum visible from the main page, rather than a lower-visibility sub-forum under the general LFG forum.

Ellspeth
March 11th, 2016, 20:42
You may be right Black Hammer, my suggestion only extended to creating a separate place for them, Mr. D mentioned he would test it where it is first and possibly do as you have suggested if it seems needed later. Beauty of this community is the ability to kick ideas about and refine them, with input from anyone interested enough to chime in.

Skellan
March 12th, 2016, 00:10
Darrenan, not just those looking for only one shots, but many new players less familiar with the forums may find it easier to find those threads where they can try out games, meet people without a long commitment, or while they wait for a campaign to open new seats. It helps players who might unexpectedly have free time when they expected to be playing rapidly check to see if there is something they could drop into. Most new GM's tend to try out with a one shot first, and if like me kind of lack the confidence to keep bumping a post rapidly buried, and may wonder if the lack of sign ups is a real lack of interest. A place where older GM's who test new material with one shots can also reach the newest players. It also clarifies to all players these games ARE one shots and not campaigns if that is all they really want to look for. In a place where there are so many choices, for some of us it helps a bit to see clear distinctions in those choices.

Its a cool idea, nice one Ellspeth. Some of the active games are really active and the one shots can get pushed off the first page quickly

ddavison
March 12th, 2016, 05:29
Indeed, this isn't politics, so I feel free to test the waters and then adjust down the road without fear of being labeled a flip-flopper. :)

Nylanfs
March 12th, 2016, 12:23
What about wishy-washy?