PDA

View Full Version : Awesome.... but.....

AzureaSkyes
April 19th, 2005, 22:52
Okay, I'll admit it.. I was swayed by the pretty... and FG is oh so pretty... and it's functional too... IF YOU PLAY D20.

I want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e with it... and now i've hit a problem... how on earth do you make percentile systems work right?

I know you can roll 1d100 using the right click on d10 option. (Which doesnt give accurate answers btw... it decides that 70 on the tens dice and 10 on the units dice = 80 and not 70) Where is the /die 1d100 + modifer command.

I also note that as a Soverign Stone player I can't roll two disparate die types at once. i.e. 1d10 + 1d4 is impossible to roll.

Also, I cannot for the life of me drag any text into the modifiers box.
How are you supposed to say, for example, set a +45 modifier into that box without having to make a monster and put 45 into one of the draggable attribute boxes?

So.. wonderful wonderful program, best of it's kind i've seen. (And I thought Klooge werks was good too). But please, cater to us non-d20 players out there... please make /die more flexible :)

Azurea.

gurney9999
April 20th, 2005, 00:41
I don't own it yet but I read in the patch notes that d100 was added to the radial menu... not sure what other dice changes they made.

richvalle
April 20th, 2005, 01:03
Okay, I'll admit it.. I was swayed by the pretty... and FG is oh so pretty... and it's functional too... IF YOU PLAY D20.

I want to play Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e with it... and now i've hit a problem... how on earth do you make percentile systems work right?

I know you can roll 1d100 using the right click on d10 option. (Which doesnt give accurate answers btw... it decides that 70 on the tens dice and 10 on the units dice = 80 and not 70) Where is the /die 1d100 + modifer command.

Hey AzureaSkyes. I'll give these a shot though others could probably do better.

RE: d100 why not just just roll 2d10 and take them in the order they are shown on the chat window? I just tried a couple and it seems to work ok. Got a 82, 26, 10 and 6 (16), 12. Its what I'd do around the table and should work here.

Ahhh, just saw what you meant about right clicking on the d10 and picking %. Never used that before.

I also note that as a Soverign Stone player I can't roll two disparate die types at once. i.e. 1d10 + 1d4 is impossible to roll.

This is true. The only way would be to roll them each seperatly. Others have asked for this ability so maybe we'll see something sometime.

Also, I cannot for the life of me drag any text into the modifiers box. How are you supposed to say, for example, set a +45 modifier into that box without having to make a monster and put 45 into one of the draggable attribute boxes?

I think there is a way to do this but not sure. Anyone?? I know you can put the mouse cursor into the mod box and move the mouse roller up and down to add/subract mods. I know a dm can send a chat message that gives a modifier and you can drag it to the modifire box.

So.. wonderful wonderful program, best of it's kind i've seen. (And I thought Klooge werks was good too). But please, cater to us non-d20 players out there... please make /die more flexible :)

Azurea.

Yeah... hopefully as time goes on it will become more flexable. Remeber its still a pretty young program and making it d20 based is the natural place to start. Most of the rule set is modifable via the xml files and some folks are working on different rule sets.

If you really want to see what you want in the program keep popping back in here and plugging your point of view... even if you do not buy it yet (not sure if you have or not). Plug the non-d20 view and, eventually, you might see some support.

Also it seems like different publishers/companies are getting on board not the least of which are the cmx code monkies. Not sure what they are going to be adding but hopefully it will be good. :)

Luck,

rv

AzureaSkyes
April 20th, 2005, 01:22
Yeah, I bought it... actually i had to buy two copies... hehe.. a GM version and a client.

I've noticed a few xmly things that might improve the lot of the /die roll. I think the devs should give the humble d100 a bit of an overhaul.. rolling an even 10,20,30 and so on adds up to give 10 more than it's supposed to since the roller doesnt know to treat 0 as 0 and not as 10 for d100 rolls. I'm sure that will get fixed.

I'd thought of rolling 2d10 to get percentile results, which works.. until you need to add on modifiers. Unfortunately, WFRP need to add on values from the characteristics to the rolls... and I have seen how the d20 sheet does it, so I need to be able to "program" in the same features for my sheet.

I never thought of trying the mousewheel on the mod box.. i will give that a go.

Azu.

Goblin-King
April 20th, 2005, 05:47
Good points, and we'll see what we can do about these.

How are you supposed to say, for example, set a +45 modifier into that box without having to make a monster and put 45 into one of the draggable attribute boxes?

Try the following chat command:

/die +45

It will output a +45 modifier in chat (without a die roll) that you can drag from there either onto the modifier stack or the hot key bar for future use. If you want to label it, just add it to the end:

/die +45 Attack bonus

Ged
April 20th, 2005, 06:12
I've noticed a few xmly things that might improve the lot of the /die roll. I think the devs should give the humble d100 a bit of an overhaul.. rolling an even 10,20,30 and so on adds up to give 10 more than it's supposed to since the roller doesnt know to treat 0 as 0 and not as 10 for d100 rolls. I'm sure that will get fixed.

There are of course these two schools in how to roll d100 (or d%). One way is to add up the number in the two dice (say 90+10=100) and the other is to read the digits from the dice (say 0 and 0 -> 100), I for one normally use the latter convention, but Fantasy Grounds currently uses the former. Therefore 00+10=10 instead of the latter convention's 100.

AzureaSkyes
April 20th, 2005, 08:52
Ged,
00 + 10 = 10 is perfectly logical, given the way the FG dice are rolled, and I can see where you are coming from programmatically, but I've never seen a paper RPG that uses this convention and I found it rather counter-intuitive.

I suppose at the end of the day you still get the same range of results, and it simplifies the programming. 00 + 1 is always 01 for example, you dont need to check the two special cases of either or both dice being 0.

I am not totally convinced that FG shouldn't follow the paper conventions, but it's not a major culture change if it's going to hold up development of other cool stuff.

On the subject of dice tho, there are a lot of other kinds of rolls that are hard to model exactly using the current system. Dice pool games where you need to count successes for example have to be eyeballed, or the infamous fudge dice. In the former case, it would be cool if you could click on a dice result in the chat window and have it change colour. That way you could manually keep track of successes easily after rolling a bunch of dice. It would also help out dice systems that use open ended rolling, since it isnt always obvious which dice you are rolling again. For example, in OVA a game that uses a D6 dice pool, a roll of 3,4,4,5 is actually 8 because you can add together doubles. Now of course, it's pretty easy to just eyeball stuff, but there are times when being able to exclude or select a number of dice, or even re-roll them, is good.

On the other hand, FG rather nicely provides us with a visual way to do the kind of tasks we all do already as players and gms, but it stops short of actually running the game world mechanics (ah.la. GRiP) and perhaps this is not a bad thing, because it means that to model a new game, all you need to design is a character record, rather than a whole set of mechanics.

Azurea.