PDA

View Full Version : Demo question

gurney9999
April 19th, 2005, 20:57
Okay, remember to read the download instructions...

I told myself that after I spent 45 minutes moving info over from PCGen into two character sheets and realizing that the demo doesn't save the info :(

My question is a simple one... when it states that only two clients can connect to the demo, is that two plus the host or two including the host?

richvalle
April 19th, 2005, 20:59
Oh man... thats a shame. :(

It should be 2 clients plus the host for the demo (though I never tried it).

rv

gurney9999
April 19th, 2005, 21:25
well I'm going to give the demo a go tonight with a couple of mates... like others I would like to see a multi-license option so I don't have to convince my friends to shell out $20 apiece, but hey that's less than the cost of a rule book now, isn't it?

I have seen the posts discussing the changes since the demo came out... I hope it has gotten a little more user friendly than the demo (especially around trying to enter info into the character sheet fields, for example). I do love the look and feel of the program so far. It seems so much easier to work with than openrpg (what I have spent the last month learning before finding this program).

gurney9999
April 20th, 2005, 16:35
ok first attempt was a slight success... one guy couldn't make it though. I had a couple of questions from the short session:

What does the ? mark represent seen for most dice rolls? Does that get filled with text when you do certain rolls? I remember messing with something locally and it filled in with text...

When he logged in he could see the icon for his character at the top left but no matter what we did we could not get one of the portraits to appear in the character icon. Anyone ever see this happen?

I really don't like that the character sheets cannot be saved in the demo. I spent a good bit of time working on that so we could see how the drag and drop worked for things but the client crashed at one point and the sheets were lost. I understand it is a demo but maybe have a 30 minute timeout or something and keep the ability to prevent new modules being created. Character sheets carrying over between testing sessions (or the ability to create and save them before logging in) would be a nice change. Even better, have two or three stock characters included in the demo, so it is easy to test the app, but keep the user created character sheets unsavable.

richvalle
April 20th, 2005, 17:40
ok first attempt was a slight success... one guy couldn't make it though. I had a couple of questions from the short session:

What does the ? mark represent seen for most dice rolls? Does that get filled with text when you do certain rolls? I remember messing with something locally and it filled in with text...

The DM sees the dice rolls with ?'s and the client just sees shadows of dice rolling. They know you are rolling dice (and even how many and what kind) but can not see the results. You can then share the dice roll if you wish or not.

rv

gurney9999
April 20th, 2005, 20:26
thanks... next question... I swear I had sound at some point but now when I get in the program I hear no sounds... no dice rolling, etc. Was I tripping thinking I heard dice rolling?

richvalle
April 20th, 2005, 20:59
Yes you were. Save that stuff for when you play the game!

:)

No sound. The dice just look so cool rolling around you think you should hear the sound.

rv

gurney9999
April 20th, 2005, 20:59
Reminder... do a search before asking questions :)

I found a post talking about sounds. I guess I was trying another program that had sound.

gurney9999
April 22nd, 2005, 13:17
Ok second test was a greater success. (although I really suggest changing your demo to include two stock characters that won't get deleted when the host gets disconnected. My friend nearly had a fit and refused to test further when the game crashed once on my end and we lost an hour of character sheet work).

A couple of followup questions. Three times a client had to disconnect and reconnect in order to see changes made to character sheets by me. Is this normal?

When I maximized the window several pieces of functionality ceased to work for me (chatting, the modifier accepting drag and drops, the function keys stopped working). When I restored to normal size things worked again. Is this normal?

richvalle
April 22nd, 2005, 13:34
No and no.

I've never seen either but I don't think a dm has ever modified my char sheet so not sure. I have maximixed my window and not seen a loss of functionality.

rv

gurney9999
April 22nd, 2005, 13:50
man you camp out here don't ya! ... I like that. :)

I'm taking the plunge... I have at least one player getting a lite license. Do you have an upgrade option for those with a lite license that would want to move up to full license? Or at least, could the person with the lite license give that license to someone else when they buy a full license?

richvalle
April 22nd, 2005, 14:21
Sigh... yeah. I have a job that chains me to the desk in the mornings so make a lot of quick hits here to see if anything is going on. That and tabbed browsing (I love that!) make it pretty easy. And I keep waiting for someone to post feedback about the WA conversion we did (grumble grumble).

There is no upgrade path currently but there is no reason you should not be able to do as you said about giving the license to someone else when they buy the full one.

gurney9999
April 22nd, 2005, 18:25
well, that is one of the first things on my list when I get home today (downloading wizard's amulet). I'll let you know how it goes.