PDA

View Full Version : Character Crashing Multiplayer Game

arc118
April 16th, 2005, 03:02
Hello,

Well, I have to say, I really like this program! I've been working on customizing the character sheet and I'm still pretty early on in the process. I've been working on the character skills page, setting it up to be similar to the character spells page, so that users can add their own skills as the go. I've set up several boxes on the character skills page that allow you add different kind of skills (we are basing our ruleset off the AD&D Optional Player Manual, where character points are used when creating the character - yah, we like it like that).

The problem happens when I launch a game with this ruleset and have another player enter and create a character. The game plays fine until we both go to look at the character skills page, then Fantasy Grounds will just close with a fatal exception. I'm pretty sure its the result of both of us viewing the character skills page at the sametime. The game continues to run as long as either of us don't look at it at the sametime. When I go in single player mode to create a character sheet, everything works fine.

Here is the overall structure of the character skills page, I've added 3 windows that allow you to add different skill sets and a button to open the datasource containing a reference to the skills page. Heres an outline:

<!-- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -->
<!-- charsheet_skills.png -->
<!-- XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX -->
<windowclass name="charsheet_skills">
<frame name="charsheet_skills" />
<datasource name="charsheet" />
<defaultsize width="550" height="685" />
<sheetdata>
<!-- Non-profs Skill Entry -->
<windowlist class="charsheet_skillentry" name="skilllist">
<allowcreate />
<allowdelete />
<nestdata />
<bounds rect="7,40,516,374" />
<sort fields="name,level" />
<acceptdrop class="skilldesc" fields="name,level,shortdescription" />
</windowlist>
<!-- Advantages Skill Entry -->
<windowlist class="charsheet_advantentry" name="skilllist">
<allowcreate />
<allowdelete />
<nestdata />
<bounds rect="277,449,245,84" />
</windowlist>
<scroller>
<bounds rect="250,647,45,27" />
<target name="skilllist" />
<button normal="button_scroller" pressed="button_scroller_down" />
</scroller>
<!-- Disadvantages Skill Entry -->
<windowlist class="charsheet_disadvantentry" name="skilllist">
<allowcreate />
<allowdelete />
<nestdata />
<bounds rect="277,583,245,84" />
</windowlist>
<scroller>
<bounds rect="250,647,45,27" />
<target name="skilllist" />
<button normal="button_scroller" pressed="button_scroller_down" />
</scroller>
<!-- Open Non-Profs ReferenceWindow -->
<windowlist class="char_non_prof_small">
<bounds rect="350,395,200,27" />
</windowlist>

</sheetdata>
</windowclass>

Also, here is a zip file containing the incomplete ruleset (images and other things aren't complete): https://68.100.248.16:85/zeus_rules.zip

If anyone has any ideas as to what would be causing this crash, I'd appreciate the input.

Thanks!

Goblin-King
April 16th, 2005, 09:02
Thanks for the detailed info. This has been reported to happen with the d20 ruleset spells page as well. At the moment I'm inclined to think this is a program error and not necessarily anything with your modifications. We're working on a fix, and I'll post more information here if needed.

arc118
April 16th, 2005, 14:41
Hi Goblinking,

Appreciate the feedback. Let us know if/when there will be a patch. I do want to say that I appreciate the work you've done on this program. I've used Openrpg, Klooge, and few other similar products, but I've found this one to be truelly the best product on the market to date. Fantasy Grounds really does live up to a virtual pen and paper gaming system. The ability to customize every element in this game and make your own content is something we've looked for for a long time. Thanks again!