PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Monsters and encounters

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 05:58
I'm making a module of an adventure from Dungeon, and I've been following the guides. However when I try to add monsters from my parsed Monster file I get the following error:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_campaigndata.lua"]:54: setValue: Database node type mismatch

I also get this error when I try to add an encounter to the combat tracker:

Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_combat.lua"]:842: setValue: Database node type mismatch

I'm also unable to drag a token onto the NPC entry.

Any help would be appreciated.

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2016, 07:30
This means that the database type values in your NPC records (i.e. monsters) have a field defined which does not match with what the ruleset expects.

The first error is saying that the "locked" field for the NPC is something other than a "number" field, which is what the first script is trying to set a value for.
The second error is the same issue with the "locked" field in the NPC record in a different script.

Regards,
JPG

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 14:08
Thank you for the explanation. I'm not sure where to go from here though, as I get this error on all the monsters I try, and they are directly from the Compendium using 4e Parser.

Trenloe
March 11th, 2016, 15:19
A couple of things:

1) Do you have any exensions running? If so, try opening the module in a new 4E campaign with no extensions enabled.
2) When did you parse and which version of the 4E parser did you use? I seem to remember a fix for this quite a while ago (in the parser), but can't find it with a quick search so I might be mistaken.

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 17:03
I tried a new campaign without any extensions, and still go the error. I am using the 2016_225 version of the parser. I deleted all my monster modules (i had an old one), and I'm reparsing as i type this.

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 20:15
Ok reparsed monsters, and tested it. Still got the error. Not sure where to go from here.

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2016, 20:49
If you open up the module and look in the data file (db.xml/client.xml/common.xml) for the string "<locked ", what does that tag look like in the data file?

If it is not a leaf tag (i.e. no subtags) and does not have type="number", then you might have to do some search and replace in the module data file to get it working without errors.

Regards,
JPG

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 22:13
Here is a copy of the code from the db.xml file:
The <locked type="string">1</locked>

By your explanation, would I need to go through and replace "string" with "number"?

HillGiant2711>
<name type="string">Hill Giant</name>
<levelrole type="string">Level 13 Brute</levelrole>
<type type="string">Large natural humanoid (earth, giant)</type>
<xp type="number">800</xp>
<hp type="string">159; Bloodied 79</hp>
<init type="number">5</init>
<ac type="number">25</ac>
<fortitude type="number">27</fortitude>
<reflex type="number">23</reflex>
<will type="number">25</will>
<speed type="string">8</speed>
<perceptionval type="number">7</perceptionval>
<alignment type="string">chaotic evil</alignment>
<languages type="string">Giant</languages>
<skills type="string">Athletics +16</skills>
<strength type="number">21</strength>
<constitution type="number">19</constitution>
<dexterity type="number">8</dexterity>
<intelligence type="number">7</intelligence>
<wisdom type="number">12</wisdom>
<charisma type="number">9</charisma>
<equipment type="string"> rock x5, greatclub.</equipment>
<text type="formattedtext"><p>Published in Monster Manual, page(s) 121, The Plane Below, page(s) 92, Revenge of the Giants, page(s) 48, 50, 54, 58, Monster Vault, page(s) 132, Madness at Gardmore Abbey, page(s) 3-32, Dungeon Magazine 197, Dungeon Magazine 199, Dungeon Magazine 200.</p><p>New Style Monster</p></text>
<token type="token">tokens/4e Monsters/hill giant.png@4e Monsters</token>
<locked type="string">1</locked>
<powers>
<id-00001>
<name type="string">Greatclub</name>
<action type="string">Standard</action>
<recharge type="string">At-Will </recharge>
<keywords type="string">weapon</keywords>
<icon type="string">circleM</icon>
<powertype type="string">m</powertype>
<shortdescription type="string">Attack: Melee 2 (one creature); +18 vs. AC\rHit: 3d10 + 11 damage.</shortdescription>
<mm3mode type="string">1</mm3mode>
</id-00001>
<id-00002>
<name type="string">Sweeping Club</name>
<recharge type="string">Encounter </recharge>
<icon type="string">M</icon>
<powertype type="string">M</powertype>
<shortdescription type="string">Attack: Melee 2 (one or two creatures); +18 vs. AC\rHit: 3d10 + 11 damage, and the giant pushes the target up to 2 squares and knocks it prone.</shortdescription>
</id-00002>
<id-00003>
<name type="string">Hurl Rock</name>
<recharge type="string">At-Will </recharge>
<icon type="string">R</icon>
<powertype type="string">R</powertype>
<shortdescription type="string">Attack: Ranged 10 (one creature); +18 vs. AC\rHit: 2d10 + 8 damage.</shortdescription>
</id-00003>
</powers>
</HillGiant2711>

Moon Wizard
March 11th, 2016, 22:26
Yes, that's right. I'm not sure why the parser is creating the incorrect type for that field, but that's the issue.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
March 11th, 2016, 22:28
By your explanation, would I need to go through and replace "string" with "number"?
Yeah, specifically replace <locked type="string">1</locked> with <locked type="number">1</locked>

FYI - I don't have this issue with the NPCs within the DMG I parsed last year. There is no <locked> field at all in my NPCs within the DMG module.

valeros
March 11th, 2016, 22:57
I just updated the parser to fix this. My mistake, sorry. I had added some personal changes to the parser that were never posted and in the update I posted in February, those changes were in the release including the "locked" field. By the way, backgrounds, powers, and other records have the locked field as well, so I fixed all those.

If you want to use the parser instead of manually editing the module, since you have already downloaded all the entries, you do not need to download them again. Just use the option to parse a file and use the existing text file that was left over from downloading that has the HTML records. Same for powers, backgrounds, etc.

Ramius613
March 11th, 2016, 23:04
Ok thanks Valeros. That saves me a lot of time. I love this program, and really appreciate your efforts.