PDA

View Full Version : Questions about the demo

jelmore
April 6th, 2005, 22:15
OK, I've downloaded the demo for Fantasy Grounds, and I have some questions.

The demo has the D20 source with class listings from the SRD, but other than being able to drag it into a separate "scroll" and minimize it, it doesn't seem to be of any use in character creation. Character creation seems, to me, extremely primitive -- as in, hardly anything is automatic. I have to enter my base attack bonus, base saves, etc. by hand; I still haven't figured out how to give my 1st-level cleric spells.

I can roll one of the nifty online dice, but other than rolling it in the chatroom box to send a dice roll, it doesn't seem to be useful. I haven't figured out how to roll, say, three D6 at once. (The droppable modifiers are a good idea, though.)

I'm almost positive that I'm missing something, some option or menu that gives me what I'm looking for. I'm also not sure what the full version gives me that the demo doesn't, and I don't feel like shelling out $40 to find out at this point.

So what am I missing?

Sigurd
April 7th, 2005, 00:14
Character creation seems, to me, extremely primitive -- as in, hardly anything is automatic.

My understanding is that Fantasy Grounds is really working to stay inside the letter of the SRD license. You will always need the Players Handbook and The Dungeon Masters Guide to play. Things may get more elegant but don't expect everything to become automatic.

Keeping the books necessary is an element that Smiteworks seems very committed to.

There is an element that is a licensing issure with WOTC.

S

richvalle
April 7th, 2005, 02:04
OK, I've downloaded the demo for Fantasy Grounds, and I have some questions.

The demo has the D20 source with class listings from the SRD, but other than being able to drag it into a separate "scroll" and minimize it, it doesn't seem to be of any use in character creation. Character creation seems, to me, extremely primitive -- as in, hardly anything is automatic. I have to enter my base attack bonus, base saves, etc. by hand; I still haven't figured out how to give my 1st-level cleric spells.

As jelmore says, I guess there are limits on what you can do with the SRD. I know character creation is one of the limits. You NEED the core books to make a character and FG can not replace that.

As for the spells, I had a hard time finding that too. Its kind of hidden... go to the character class section and open up the character class. Start to scroll down and there is a link for cleric spells. Click it and the spells will be there. You can then drag and drop them into your characters spell list.

I can roll one of the nifty online dice, but other than rolling it in the chatroom box to send a dice roll, it doesn't seem to be useful. I haven't figured out how to roll, say, three D6 at once. (The droppable modifiers are a good idea, though.)

Left click on a die and hold it. Then, before you roll it click the right mouse button. Each click will give you another die.

And, before you ask ( :) ) if you roll 10d6 and want the total you can left click and hold on the chat box showing all the dice and then drag it off to the side. You will see the total shown as a number. If you drop it onto the chat window it will show up there. You can also right click on the dice and tthere are some options... total, 1/2... another one that I can't think of now.

I'm almost positive that I'm missing something, some option or menu that gives me what I'm looking for. I'm also not sure what the full version gives me that the demo doesn't, and I don't feel like shelling out $40 to find out at this point.

So what am I missing?

I hear you on that one about the $40!

The updates have been refining things and adding user suggestions. The next release (1.04) is highly antisapated as it should add some very nice features (better token control is a big one. Some bug fixes with too many character portrats showing plus others).

It would be nice if an updated demo came out after the 1.04 version to show case the new features.

rv