PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation Missing A Few Calculations

Klingbeil
March 11th, 2016, 02:20
Has anyone noticed that using 5E and The Players Hand Book for character creation, misses a few important calculations? For instance on a barbarian, the AC is not including the constitution modifier needing to be added to the AC for the unarmored bonus. Also, the initial hit points are not including the base number plus the constitution modifier.

It seems like everything else is automated when creating a character, so... is this part not supposed to be?

TheSlowestZombie
March 11th, 2016, 05:36
I think everything you're describing is working as intended. For barbarian AC, click the magnifying glass next to the AC. On the third row the box labeled "2nd" needs to be changed. Click until it says Con. Then it will automatically add your con bonus. The reason it's not automatic is to make it more flexible for various nuanced rules that change the base math formula. Although arguably that still could be automated.

For the base hitpoints, I think it does the math wrong only if you pick your Class before you assign your race and ability scores. It's currently on you to remember that if you change the other stats you need to add up your HP. Bug? Maybe not. But hopefully there's an active feature request that could make sure it's set up right.

IMHO, I'd like to see the HP auto-update any time the Con field is updated and there is a single level 1 class assigned. Or at least a pop up to remind you to check it. Even better would be a magnifying glass icon next to HP that would show the source of your HP. As in: a running log that shows your class base HP, your level 1 CON HP add, and the HP added from each level or ability score increase. That'd especially help since now that I'm thinking about it I'm paranoid I forgot to set HP for some of my own characters but have a lot of math to do for my high levels.

Edit: Almost forgot. Take a look at https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?27296-Guides-videos-and-other-helpful-information&
There's links to guides for building characters for all the classes. The Barb one mentions the fact that you need to modify the AC.