PDA

View Full Version : Gay groups on fantasy grounds

Scrubs75
March 9th, 2016, 20:56
I was wondering if there are any LGBT / ***** role playing groups on Fantasy Grounds. I have asked on an online LGBT fantasy geek group as well just to see if there are any out there.

Nylanfs
March 9th, 2016, 21:34
Welcome to the forums and community Scrubs, AFAIK no. I wouldn't think it should matter though, I would imagine that most groups aren't going to care or would be very welcoming. I mean if you can role play a female orc bard and your a cis male, dealing with somebody that doesn't match your gender identification should be a snap. :)

damned
March 9th, 2016, 21:52
Heya Scrubs75. I have seen a couple of individuals post messages but I havent seen anything specifically about groups.
But there is plenty of room for more players of all descriptions.

sctorchwoodfan
March 9th, 2016, 21:57
I know there are some fellow LGBT people are on the forum (I have asked before), but it would be interesting to game in a LGBT group. I have no issue and it has been a non-issue gaming with non-LGBT people, but I think it would be a somewhat different experience than in mostly non-LGBT group.

ddavison
March 9th, 2016, 23:21
I see a lot of LGBT followers on our twitter feed. Would you be looking to DM the group or just wanting to join one that is primarily comprised of LGBT members?

seycyrus
March 10th, 2016, 00:24
I know there are some fellow LGBT people are on the forum (I have asked before), but it would be interesting to game in a LGBT group. I have no issue and it has been a non-issue gaming with non-LGBT people, but I think it would be a somewhat different experience than in mostly non-LGBT group.

How do you think it would be a somewhat different experience? In all the groups I've dealt with, the most explicit material occurred behind the scenes. Puzzle-solving, village-saving, monster-slaying should be all the same regardless, no?

The only difference would be if the the theme of the entire campaign was somehow centered on certain relevant issues?

sctorchwoodfan
March 10th, 2016, 00:34
How do you think it would be a somewhat different experience? In all the groups I've dealt with, the most explicit material occurred behind the scenes. Puzzle-solving, village-saving, monster-slaying should be all the same regardless, no?

The only difference would be if the the theme of the entire campaign was somehow centered on certain relevant issues?

Seycyrus I think it depends on the genre / individual game really. I have been in a local DnD game where half the group was LGB people, and there was no difference really as only one person (a straight guy whose character tried often to pick up female npc's) played their characters any way where you might notice a difference. I could see maybe a greater difference happening in a more modern setting or horror game or at least in fantasy / DnD game where relationships were more emphasized.... just my initial thoughts.

edited- also I think most people are tolerant to differences in players but I once was told by the gm in a local group I was trying to join that there might be a problem with two players who were not LGBT friendly so there is that as well as a potential concern.

damned
March 10th, 2016, 01:14
I think at times that there is a different comfort level in an all girl or all lgbt++ group rather than it being a different play style.

Black Hammer
March 10th, 2016, 01:18
I don't care about people's tastes, but I generally expect my players to exhibit enough restraint and good taste to keep their bedroom adventures away from the table. I don't want to hear salty details about anyone's personal life, IC or OOC. We have all known someone who overshares, and especially online where people are less familiar and comfortable with each other, that can make a lot of awkward real quick.

Although if a player used the term "cis" at my table, I'd kick them out of the game same as if they used the n-word or any other slur.

damned
March 10th, 2016, 01:30
cis is not a slur... at least not that Im aware of.

gaara6666
March 10th, 2016, 02:16
I think what Black Hammer is trying to illustrate is that "I am gaara, you are Damned, and he is Black Hammer" that is where identity needs to begin and end at a tabletop. I have played everything from a male wizard to female orc paladin to a Gnomish Bard who did performances of "husband and wife" arguing in a comedy bit by swapping genders magically between lines. As long as one presents themselves as a "able and eager contributor" to the social event of gaming with me that is all I need.

Redemption77
March 10th, 2016, 04:13
Isnt a CIS an isomer on opposite ends of a carbon double bond?

viresanimi
March 10th, 2016, 04:41
...a Gnomish Bard who did performances of "husband and wife" arguing in a comedy bit by swapping genders magically between lines

I don't know why. but I find this insanely hilarious!

On a more relevant note, I have played with all kinds of people at conventions and participated in a long Warhammer Fantasy campaign in a club with a transgender person. The first night was odd, since I didn't know the person, but then it was normal. Except my younger self did think, that if the dude wanted to wear dresses it was fine, but could he at least shave then? We live and we learn.

I guess it's never been a big deal in my experience. Perhaps because being gay hasn't been an issue in Denmark for most of my life. The first gay couple to be married in the world, was married in Denmark over 20 years ago, if memory serves me well. So its just another thing now. What matters to me and probably most other people here, is how you treat others. Personally I don't care one bit about LGBT. I am not either of those things. I don't mind either. Its... well.. who they are. And that's that.

I think the only issue I could have with such things, if it became a thing to discuss here, beyond relevance to gaming and gaming groups. As a general topic it doesn't belong in a rp gaming forum.

Anyways. Welcome to the place. People here are nice!

Vires Animi

Black Hammer
March 10th, 2016, 04:53
cis is not a slur... at least not that Im aware of.

I'm guessing you've never had someone scream it in your face along with a string of other epithets while trying to assault you. Tolerance may be another word for apathy, but at the same time, it is impossible to truly understand and appreciate the experiences of another person in any context, but a gaming table is a particularly poor place to address such.

Hence the need for restraint and good taste. If people want to make up labels for themselves that they are comfortable with, then I'm happy to use those labels for them. We're all already doing that anyway, unless your parents actually named you Damned. In which case I am sorry for you, because people probably keep trying to spell it differently.

I think what Black Hammer is trying to illustrate is that "I am gaara, you are Damned, and he is Black Hammer" that is where identity needs to begin and end at a tabletop. I have played everything from a male wizard to female orc paladin to a Gnomish Bard who did performances of "husband and wife" arguing in a comedy bit by swapping genders magically between lines. As long as one presents themselves as a "able and eager contributor" to the social event of gaming with me that is all I need.

I am hardly that impersonal, but you're not entirely misrepresenting me, either. Like those cards they use in workplace football pools, my games are "For Entertainment Purposes Only." If an NPC flirts with your character, I'm not trying to get in your pants (although if that makes you uncomfortable, tell me and it won't happen again). If my monster kills your character, it isn't a death threat (but if it makes you uncomfortable, find another game, because nobody gets plot armor). If my evil NPC is (insert trait here), it doesn't mean I hate or demonize everyone who shares that trait.

Frankly, I don't think anything good comes from people trying to isolate their social experiences to shield themselves from potential conflict, but then I enjoy fighting with everyone. Was raised to think that while a passionate argument is a terrible way to convince someone you're right, it is one of the best ways to learn how someone really feels about a topic. And that's really the goal, to do our best to understand how people feel about things and why. Or you can dance around the elephant in the room until someone steps on a land mine.

sctorchwoodfan
March 10th, 2016, 17:37
I see a lot of LGBT followers on our twitter feed. Would you be looking to DM the group or just wanting to join one that is primarily comprised of LGBT members?

Hey Ddavison, do you know if any of them are DM / GM?

sctorchwoodfan
March 10th, 2016, 17:52
I think as some one said there might be a comfort issue if some one seeks a LGBT group or all women's group. Also sometimes people don't want to be the only one in a group for instance the token minority..... there are differences to experience when you are the only LGBT, only woman in a group or to bring up another diversity issue only racial minority in a group (I haven't seen many Black /Hispanic roleplayers (yes a few though) in my in person groups on and off twenty years mostly in the American South).

kane280484
March 10th, 2016, 18:52
Good luck to you, I understand the need to fit in and feel accepted, i.e. my group is white, male & straight only.

gaara6666
March 10th, 2016, 20:05
or Kane that is what they want you to think...roleplayer the roleplayer roleplaying a character... so deliciously meta. MWAHAHAHAHA

sctorchwoodfan
March 10th, 2016, 20:40
Good luck to you, I understand the need to fit in and feel accepted, i.e. my group is white, male & straight only.

I can't speak for others but I do feel like I fit in with the greater community here despite our various differences. I tend to bond more easily with fellow geeks of various persuasions over non-geeks, and I find most roleplayers are some where on the geek spectrum.... LOL... But others might have different comfort levels and experiences.

Skellan
March 10th, 2016, 22:50
geekiness is the force that surrounds and binds us all