PDA

View Full Version : Call of Cthulhu - Organized Play - "A Time to Harvest"

Synovieve
March 9th, 2016, 09:45
Chaosium is starting up a six-part organized play campaign, called "A Time to Harvest'. I thought that some of you might be interested, given that CoC has a presence here.

More details here (https://basicroleplaying.org/topic/4364-chaosiums-a-time-to-harvest-call-of-cthulhu-organized-play-campaign/).

MadBeardMan
March 10th, 2016, 00:47
Yep, I've spoken to them and am awaiting confirmation, if I get the go-ahead, I'll see about converting the scenario to FG.

damned
March 10th, 2016, 01:11
Very good. I know a few people who will be interested in this.

leozelig
March 10th, 2016, 11:30
Cool, thanks! I would be interested in playing some Call of Cthulhu if anyone starts a weeknight game that is US Eastern time zone friendly. I try to catch a game at FG Con but haven't played enough to host my own game.

MadBeardMan
March 10th, 2016, 13:10
Just emailed Dustin regarding this as I've not heard back about my approval for the Cult of Chaos yet.

damned
March 10th, 2016, 13:40
Just emailed Dustin regarding this as I've not heard back about my approval for the Cult of Chaos yet.

I heard an insane chuckling coming from his office... I dont know if that bodes well for you or not...
Please dont ask what I was doing there...

MadBeardMan
March 10th, 2016, 14:07
I heard an insane chuckling coming from his office... I dont know if that bodes well for you or not...
Please dont ask what I was doing there...

Oh so you were secretly hiding there @Damned?

Edit: How do you tag people?

MadBeardMan
March 16th, 2016, 18:05
Chaps,

Got a reply back from Dustin.

I'll get the PDF(s) the same time as everyone else, so I've asked him what the page count is, that way I can gauge the amount of time it'll take me to convert them, but fear not, I have a lot of work holiday time (vacation time) saved up....

dberkompas
March 16th, 2016, 22:57
I'm a Cultist as well, can't wait to try this in FG.

BoomerET

MadBeardMan
March 16th, 2016, 23:00
I'm a Cultist as well, can't wait to try this in FG.

BoomerET

Nice :) I'll let folks know when I know the answers.

Cheers

dberkompas
March 31st, 2016, 20:16
Should be rolling out to us today!!!

Boomer

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2016, 20:55
Indeed, no sign of it just yet......... got FG ready and waiting.....

dberkompas
March 31st, 2016, 21:08
Any plans to divide and conquer, or is this planned to be a paid module?
(I'd love to be part of a group of Cultists that work on this)

Boomer

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2016, 21:13
Any plans to divide and conquer, or is this planned to be a paid module?
(I'd love to be part of a group of Cultists that work on this)

Boomer

As far as I know it's going to be free... I was going to convert them in my spare (lol) time.

I suppose we could split each episode up amongst us, as long as that's ok with FG etc. I have told Doug that I planned to do them, he's not commented that anyone else has.

dberkompas
March 31st, 2016, 22:04
It's HERE!!!

Boomer

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2016, 22:08
It's HERE!!!

Boomer

That it is! And Notepad++ is all loaded, let's get going!

Trenloe
March 31st, 2016, 22:11
A note to everyone who is getting this "free" scenario: just remember that this is not "copyright free", it is still copyright material owned by Chaosium, so no distributing of FG created material based off this scenario without permission from Chaosium or any public distribution guidelines as part of the Organized Play campaign. I'm sure there will be some form of agreement made for FG conversion sometime soon...

MadBeardMan
March 31st, 2016, 22:13
A note to everyone who is getting this "free" scenario: just remember that this is not "copyright free", it is still copyright material owned by Chaosium, so no distributing of FG created material based off this scenario without permission from Chaosium or any public distribution guidelines as part of the Organized Play campaign. I'm sure there will be some form of agreement made for FG conversion sometime soon...

I'm just penning up an email to Doug about it. As I did email before stating that only 'certain' folk (Chaosium know who they are) are entitled to it, but as Doug is the worlds 2nd busiest man....

MadBeardMan
April 1st, 2016, 01:14
Ok folks spoken to Doug. I'll be converting it, it'll be going to FG and they'll deal with it with Chaosium.

Here's the images being sorted and linked to Story Entries...

So over the weekend I'll do the main conversion, we'll need *someone* to review it, any takers here?

NOTE: It's being converted using the 7E Extension (as the Campaign Book is for 7th Edition).

dberkompas
April 1st, 2016, 03:58
I'd be happy to help, as long as I'm not the only one. I don't feel I have the time to check a whole module.

Boomer

MadBeardMan
April 1st, 2016, 09:20
I'd be happy to help, as long as I'm not the only one. I don't feel I have the time to check a whole module.

Boomer

I'll send DD an email when it's nearing finishing, and we'll see what we can muster. I had a quick glance of it last night.... 6 of these will be ace.

terrell
April 1st, 2016, 19:53
So over the weekend I'll do the main conversion, we'll need *someone* to review it, any takers here?

NOTE: It's being converted using the 7E Extension (as the Campaign Book is for 7th Edition).

I too am one of the Cult of Chaos keepers and will be happy to review this.

Regards,
Terrell

MadBeardMan
April 1st, 2016, 23:51
I too am one of the Cult of Chaos keepers and will be happy to review this.

Regards,
Terrell

Excellent, about to create the story entries now.... I'll let Doug know you want to review it, cheers :)

dberkompas
April 1st, 2016, 23:54
I've never entered much data into FG, most I've done is writing an extension for D&D 5E before today.

I've played around, and entered a standard Mi-go, as well as the items (Tools of the Mi-Go)
(Just having fun playing around with FG which I must admit, I've done very little of)

Boomer

MadBeardMan
April 2nd, 2016, 02:12
Did some more tonight post finishing my Traveller goals.

Started converting all the text over, and laid out the basic index page.

Once I've got that all done, I'll go back and edit the module to add in all the links/tidy up the index page and so on.... so far I've got sections 1 & 2 all done, that leaves 3 & 4 and the various appendicies - tomorrow I should get 3 done.

Cheers

dberkompas
April 2nd, 2016, 16:26
@MadBeardMan,

Are you doing all of this conversion by hand, or are you using something similar to par5e?

Boomer

MadBeardMan
April 2nd, 2016, 16:30
@MadBeardMan,

Are you doing all of this conversion by hand, or are you using something similar to par5e?

Boomer

Using PAR5E but then editing by hand using Notepad++ as it's a lot quicker to format text etc. I was tempted to use FG and export as a Module but I find that takes longer.

MadBeardMan
April 3rd, 2016, 01:50
Right, the Dreamlands awaits - this evening (well since 11:30pm) I've made good progres into the Story Elements, I'm around half way.

I'm gaming tomorrow night, but can do a bit post that, alas back to work on Monday - but will have time in the evening - should be pretty much done, then time to add player handouts and NPC's etc.

So give me a week and I'll be done.

Gryffano
April 3rd, 2016, 05:22
Very interested! I've been waiting to be able to play CoC on FG. So far all I've seen are spanish games tho. :(

damned
April 3rd, 2016, 05:49
timing is prolly not great for you but two spots available here: https://www.fg-con.com/events/ghost-light/ this coming Friday.

MadBeardMan
April 5th, 2016, 01:19
Evening all,

Finished converting all the text, formatted it all, added in all pictures.

Left to do:
Import NPC's
Add Navigation links to every page
Double check all links work, NPC's, Notes, Pictures etc.

Should get that done tomorrow night.

dberkompas
April 5th, 2016, 01:22
Wow, that was Speedy Gonzales quick.

MadBeardMan
April 5th, 2016, 01:36

There's the screen...

MadBeardMan
April 5th, 2016, 10:51
Wow, that was Speedy Gonzales quick.

Cheers chap :)

My clock shows I've spent around 10 hours converting it. There's a huge amount of text in this scenario...

Gryffano
April 5th, 2016, 19:59
Sweet thanks!

MadBeardMan
April 6th, 2016, 00:48
Evening,

So all navigation done.... all that's now left:
NPC's - working on them
Check links etc, already done most, double double check.

Was hoping to finish tonight, but instead I cooked for my family, watched The Battle of 5 Armies and did some of this :)

Cheers

Insanity
April 7th, 2016, 18:43
I am a member of the Cult as well and would like to see this put into FG.

MadBeardMan
April 7th, 2016, 19:11
I am a member of the Cult as well and would like to see this put into FG.

It's done, I just finished it... so I'm (for sanity's sake) checking it all. Then it's off to FG to be reviewed and once that's done then I'm sure any members of the Cult can download it. Don't ask me how, I'm just a coder and not a brain.

Cheers
Colin

dberkompas
April 7th, 2016, 19:18
Good little code monkey.

MadBeardMan
April 7th, 2016, 19:22
Good little code monkey.

It was my pleasure!

MadBeardMan
April 7th, 2016, 22:30
Ok folks, my work here is done... it's gone off to the folks at FG for them to review it. Once it's reviewed, I should find out how the rest of you can get it.

You may have noticed that someone earlier tried to post a link to their version... well as you know, the material is all copyright Chaosium, I simply can't put it up here and say 'There you go'. So once I have feedback, I'll update here.

Now in around 3 weeks the next instalment will be available. Does anyone else want to do that? I don't mind picking it up, took about 30 hours this last week for Part I, I'm sure Part II will be quicker - but I'm happy to support someone else, and then maybe we all take it in turns as there are 6 of them and I'm in this for the long game.

Cheers

Insanity
April 7th, 2016, 23:06
I might be able to help, I had done a bit of The London Guidebook several years ago for myself. Things may be a bit different with the new FG, but I think I can manage.

I can't say I could dedicate as many hours in a short time as you, but I would be willing to help.

MadBeardMan
April 7th, 2016, 23:09
I might be able to help, I had done a bit of The London Guidebook several years ago for myself. Things may be a bit different with the new FG, but I think I can manage.

I can't say I could dedicate as many hours in a short time as you, but I would be willing to help.

Any help is good. The issue with these smaller books, is that it's hard to split the work among different people, but entering stuff like NPC's would really help, as those took ages....

Let's see who else steps up and between us I'm sure we can progress - we just need FG to agree for us to share work between us (again due to copyright issues).

Insanity
April 7th, 2016, 23:12
I will receive the same materials legally as I am a Cult member. Not sure how to provide proof of that I guess.

dberkompas
April 7th, 2016, 23:21
Easy to prove, coordinate in Cult of Chaos forum on BRP?

I'd be happy to help entering NPC's as well.

Boomer (BoomerET on BRP Forums)

MadBeardMan
April 8th, 2016, 00:18
Easy to prove, coordinate in Cult of Chaos forum on BRP?

I'd be happy to help entering NPC's as well.

Boomer (BoomerET on BRP Forums)

I think all we need to do is prove to FG that we're all members, I'll speak to FG about it once this baby gets approved.

dberkompas
April 22nd, 2016, 15:32
This thread has been dead for two weeks, and I would hope that there's been a few sessions of 'Harvest' run since then.

Any news?

MadBeardMan
April 22nd, 2016, 15:33
Yep got news yesterday on a few things that I need to address which I'm doing this weekend and then I believe that it's all go...

dberkompas
April 22nd, 2016, 15:41
Yippee!!!

MadBeardMan
April 24th, 2016, 00:01
Yippee!!!

Updated and gone to FG.

There were 6 issues reported, 5 all fixed, and the 6th can't be done as such (linking spells) so would be nice in 7E.

Fingers crossed we get sign off soon :)

ChrisFixedKitty
April 27th, 2016, 01:04
A quick word of gratitude to all those who have put in the hours to make this OP happen, IRL and in FG, etc. You have made a newbie Keeper very happy. Thank you.

Fingers crossed that I get to play it somewhere virtually before reading and then attempting to run it IRL. That would really help bridge the confidence gap! Is anyone planning to run it here on weekday evenings GMT? I'm on Pacific/DST, -7 GMT and would love to make this my afternoon off!

dberkompas
May 12th, 2016, 19:09
Now that I've got my beautiful leathers (still shrink-wrapped, anyone wanna make an offer, bidding starts at $666, I'll cover shipping), I've been reading through my paperback versions.

Any news on this OrgPlay coming out for us to use?

Boomer

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2016, 10:15
Now that I've got my beautiful leathers (still shrink-wrapped, anyone wanna make an offer, bidding starts at $666, I'll cover shipping), I've been reading through my paperback versions.

Any news on this OrgPlay coming out for us to use?

Boomer

Morning Chap,

I did enquire as to the progress of 'signing it off' a few days ago. I'll ask again if I don't hear back over the weekend. I do know there's quite a back log of modules (etc) being tested and signed off. I personally have Secrets of San Francisco, A Time to Harvest - Episode 1 and Dead Light - plus coming up Secrets of Tibet and Beyond the Mountains of Madness....

I also have my Leatherette books, sadly my Investigator book was misprinted and one of my other books had the corner crushed - but got replacements sent and received, stellar service. They are works of art, and I'll get around to reading them soon (I hope!).

Cheers

dberkompas
May 13th, 2016, 15:54
One of your leathers was misprinted? Hmm, maybe I should take the shrink-wrap off and check mine.

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2016, 16:00
One of your leathers was misprinted? Hmm, maybe I should take the shrink-wrap off and check mine.

On the spine, the gold lettering was printed at a slight angle and so bled over to the front cover. You can clearly see if without taking off the wrapping.

Trenloe
May 13th, 2016, 18:41
MoI do know there's quite a back log of modules (etc) being tested and signed off. I personally have Secrets of San Francisco, A Time to Harvest - Episode 1 and Dead Light - plus coming up Secrets of Tibet and Beyond the Mountains of Madness....
Secrets of San Fran is in the store. :)

MadBeardMan
May 13th, 2016, 21:50
Secrets of San Fran is in the store. :)

Woot :)

No email saying it had gone live though, so a nice surprise.

Hope everyone likes it, a lot of work went into it, more than New Orleans due to more scenarios/bigger page count, but ace.

Cheers!

damned
May 15th, 2016, 07:47
A Time for Harvest Pt 2 just hit my Inbox!

MadBeardMan
May 15th, 2016, 13:07
A Time for Harvest Pt 2 just hit my Inbox!

That is has, and it's about half the size (text based) on the first Episode, some nice maps... shouldn't take too long to convert.....

MadBeardMan
May 17th, 2016, 00:51
So I asked FG if they wanted me to convert Episode 2 (as I chased them for when Episode 1 will be released).

This Episode is a lot smaller, will have it done by the weekend - will need someone to review it - any takers? I'll ask the chaps at FG if you can have access to it... see if we can get these babies out.

EDIT: Removed the image - it had spoilers - whoops. SO DON'T CLICK IF YOU'RE GOING TO PLAY!

All text is parsed and formatted, needs links adding, then maps adding and linking and that's pretty much it.

Going to look at adding this Episode to a pack with Episode 1 as it references it for some information.

Cheers
Col AKA MBM

Sjelsyk
June 9th, 2016, 06:54
Being a Cult of Chaos member, how can one obtain this module? :) Is there anyone I should contact (other than MadBeardMan) to verify it?

I use the same username on this forum as I do on the BRP Central, so I assume it should be rather 'easy' to sort out.

damned
June 9th, 2016, 06:59
At this stage there is no sharing of this module - even between CoC members.

Sjelsyk
June 9th, 2016, 07:07
Ahh, explains why it wasn't any clear information on how to obtain it. What a shame.

Of course, could always 'port' it myself, but based on previous 'ports' from pdfs to FG, MadBeardMan does it quite well so I'd much rather get that one than doing it myself (I'm just not efficient enough to fully enjoy/focus on transferring all the text to FG in a good way). I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that it gets sorted out in a way :) Thanks for the quick reply though.

Trenloe
June 9th, 2016, 07:23
MadBeardMan does it quite well so I'd much rather get that one than doing it myself (I'm just not efficient enough to fully enjoy/focus on transferring all the text to FG in a good way). I guess I'll just have to wait and hope that it gets sorted out in a way :)
MadBeardMan does it very well. :)

I think its definitely worth waiting for a FG provided conversion - assuming it won't be too long before it's available and it won't cost an-arm-and-a-leg.

MadBeardMan
June 9th, 2016, 11:02
Morning Chaps,

Let me chase up Doug/James..... (again)......

As Episode 3 will be upon us pretty soon....

Been working on Real Life (v1.0) seems it's been running slowly and has interface problems with Wife 1.0 and Kids 1.0 and 2.0..... oh and Bank 1.0.

But got somewhere with Traveller and now back on Secrets of Tibet this week.

So much to do, all of it fun (in the non-RL world).

Thanks for the kind words guys :)

MadBeardMan
June 10th, 2016, 12:18
Folks,

I chatted (over email) with Doug last night.

All 7E material (that's A Time to Harvest (Episode 1 and 2 so far), Dead Light and Secrets of Tibet - so far that I've done) that will not be released until the 7E ruleset is done.

The reason for this, is that FG do not want (and I can understand) the reliance upon a community ruleset (the 7E extension). So once 7E gets the green light, then these will be released/made available - that way you get the perfect experience.

Cheers
Col

Sjelsyk
June 10th, 2016, 12:22
(...) FG do not want (and I can understand) the reliance upon a community ruleset (the 7E extension). So once 7E gets the green light, then these will be released/made available - that way you get the perfect experience.

That makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking your time and getting an answer to this. Even more of a reason to be excited for the 7E release.

MadBeardMan
June 10th, 2016, 12:30
That makes perfect sense. Thank you for taking your time and getting an answer to this. Even more of a reason to be excited for the 7E release.

No problems - I've been asking for a while now, so I'll get Episodes 3 - 6 done when they come out regardless of 7E. I've also got plans to get Petersens Guide converted, and I know that Ian/Damian are doing a brilliant job on the rulebooks/ruleset and they'll be converting some scenarios.

I'm hoping for 7E that we can bring all the 7E material to FG....

Sjelsyk
June 10th, 2016, 12:39
It seems that the conversion is in good (and very capable) hands (Not that I ever doubted that).

And I'm also hoping all of the 7E material will be converted to FG. The more 7E material available - the better.

NotRussellCrowe
June 10th, 2016, 17:20
I really want to play more CoC and looking forward to 7e so hearing about all the hard work everyone is doing in getting as much content as they are ready for launch is spectacular! Thanks to everyone for putting in all this work!!!

MadBeardMan
June 15th, 2016, 20:58
Greetings All,

I got the go-ahead to convert Episode 3, tada! Away this weekend though for many ales and friends, so will do it next week. Please note that no 7E material will be released until the 7E ruleset is released. This is so that you get the best experience of FG and CoC.

I've had a sneak-peak of 7E and it's ace work so far, very much looking forward to the ruleset appearing.

Huzzah!

Sjelsyk
June 16th, 2016, 07:15
Great stuff. I'm also looking forward to the ruleset appearing (and also all the supplements in the works!)
I'm sure it'll be great and I'd rather wait and get a great ruleset with all the system functioning as it should, than for it to release quickly and feel like a rushed released.

dberkompas
July 1st, 2016, 21:31
Free RPG Day module 'The Derelict' has been released to Cult of Chaos members!!!

MadBeardMan
July 1st, 2016, 21:32
Free RPG Day module 'The Derelict' has been released to Cult of Chaos members!!!

Yep sure has, I've downloaded and will convert it next week ready for 7E ruleset if no-one else wants to do it...

dberkompas
July 1st, 2016, 21:47
I've updated my web character generator, but haven't uploaded to my site.

Hoping it's useful for importing into FG.

Boomer

NotRussellCrowe
July 1st, 2016, 22:27

I have not got mine yet....

dberkompas
July 1st, 2016, 22:50
Check your spam folder for an email from Chaosium

NotRussellCrowe
July 1st, 2016, 22:51
I didn't see one but I could have looked too quickly. Now I've deleted them. I guess I'll just buy it when it's posted on FG.

damned
July 2nd, 2016, 00:27
Email was titled: The Derelict by Sandy Petersen and Mike Mason
I missed that it contained teh adventure links until just now :)

NotRussellCrowe
July 2nd, 2016, 00:29
I don't recall seeing anything like that in my inbox. I was accepted into the Cult earlier this week but only today did I sign up for their email list so perhaps I missed it.

dberkompas
July 2nd, 2016, 00:44
@NotRussellCrowe,

Welcome to the CoCCoC (Call of Cthulhu Cult of Chaos (tm pending))

Boomer

NotRussellCrowe
July 2nd, 2016, 00:45
@NotRueelllCrowe,

Welcome to the CoCCoC (Call of Cthulhu Cult of Chaos (tm pending))

Boomer

Thank you! :D

I've got a lot of reading to do before I can run any games but I'm looking forward to it!!

damned
July 2nd, 2016, 06:26
And dont read tA Time To Harvest because Im still hoping that we can continue that together!

NotRussellCrowe
July 2nd, 2016, 13:43
And dont read tA Time To Harvest because Im still hoping that we can continue that together!

Not a problem. Picked up Canis Mysterium and Fatal Experiments so lots to keep me busy for a while. Also need to read the rules of the game first. Minor detail.... :)

dberkompas
August 15th, 2016, 18:24
It's the 15th, so Episode 5 of 'A Time to Harvest' has been released, check your emails.

Boomer

damned
August 16th, 2016, 03:29
Got it! But we are only playing monthly so have one more session of Month 1 to play :)
The other months will conclude in one or two sessions rather than the 4 we will have taken for Month 1 I think.

ianmward
August 24th, 2016, 07:36
I'll try reeeeally hard to make the next one... honest...