PDA

View Full Version : Help with a DC Table

Ramius613
March 8th, 2016, 06:43
I'm currently in the process of converting an adventure module from 3.5 to 5e. In the adventure, there is a side bar with Knowledge DC checks. I was wondering how I could set up a table for my players to roll on to learn the information.

The table has 4 different entries with break points at DC 10, 15, 20, and 25.

Any help would be appreciated.

Zacchaeus
March 8th, 2016, 10:52
Here's a link to the Wiki article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables) on tables.

If you want an even spread then leave the dice box blank but you can alter the odds of a particular result coming up by using a different dice as described in the article. If you need further information just ask.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2016, 14:09
I don't think you're going to be able you use this completely for what you're looking for. There are a number of reasons:

For a player to roll on a table it has to be shared with them. Sharing it with the players means they can see all of the info in the table.
Tables don't take external rolls - e.g. skill checks, etc.. So players can't roll their individual skills and have it applied to a table. The GM can't drag the result either.
You get one row only returned from the table. You wouldn't get all of the lower DC entries as well if there was a high roll.

You could build the table with a wide range: -20 to 14, 15 to 19, 20 to 24 and 25 to 100 and force it to use a d20, then the players roll on the table but add their relevant total modifiers to the modifiers box before rolling. But - they'd need to have access to the whole table, see #1 above.

I think the best way is for you to build a story entry with appropriate chatbox entries for each DC range. As the players to roll the relevant skill (in the tower if you wish) and then share the appropriate chat entries.

Zacchaeus
March 8th, 2016, 14:17
Sorry, I completely missed the bit where you said you wanted the players to roll. So Trenloe has the answer you are looking for :)

Ramius613
March 8th, 2016, 19:20
Ok thank you for the help.