PDA

View Full Version : Interest check for GURPS game concept

Bane Root
March 8th, 2016, 00:19
Hey guys.

I'm considering running a bi-monthly, long-term GURPS campaign here on FG and was wondering what the interest would be.

My LFP post would look something like this;

FG License: Ultimate.
Game System: GURPS 4th

Time Zone: EST
Day of week and time: TBD
If new game, planned start date: After FG Con
Planned Frequency: Every other week
Term: Long term

Text or Voice: Voice and possible Webcam
Voice software used: Teamspeak3

Roleplay & Combat mix: 75/25
Number of Players in game &needed: 2-6
Character starting level &equipment: 850 points in ADV, 150 in DIS maximum. Not required.(see game spiel)
Character restrictions: The limits of your imagination.

Details of your scenario:

Infinity.

Infinity is a concept in many fields, most predominantly mathematics and physics, that refers to a quantity without bound or end. Infinite possibilities. Infinite realities. Across the Multiverse, every possibility is played out in an infinite number of realities. Life in all it's varieties exists across the worlds without end. An evil from beyond all existences is rising, it's darkness spreading and threatening all of the Multiverse. Few and far between are those that can even sense this rising shadow, fewer still have the power to confront it's sinister plans and machinations. You are, or will become, one of those few. It is up to you to become aware of the growing Darkness, seek out others like yourself, discover the source of the evil and confront It's nihilistic plans before the entire Multiverse is consumed by It's evil.

Play whoever and whatever you want from any setting, genre or source. The plot, simply put, is a diverse group of beings, gathered from across the multiverse is assembled to confront a growing darkness that ultimately threatens all life everywhere. Inspired by American Gods, His Dark Materials, LOTR, SLA Industries and incorporating themes and elements from The Cthulhu Mythos, The Malazan Book of the Fallen, Starwars, Warhammer 40,000, Startrek, Marvel Superheroes and everything in between. GURPS : Multiverse is an epic, cinematic,reality spanning adventure, where the characters learn of and ultimately confront a dark, ancient threat to all life in every reality. This game will be roleplaying-centric with an emphasis on character development. you can play whoever and whatever you want. With that in mind, let me say that character concept and development is infinitely more important then power level and point total.

When creating a character, point total is tertiary, with character concept being the primary importance and character roleplayability a close second. Create the character you most want to play, within the boundaries of 850 points in Advantages and up to 150 Disadvantages. I'm not saying go crazy and make a 1000 point mystic warrior that can defeat armies single-handedly, unless that is what you want to play. I will allow ANY character as long as it is well developed, with a rich and detailed backstory including a detailed summary of the world/universe that they come from. If you want to play a character from popular fiction/Television/movies/etc you can and are encouraged to do so. Want to convert your favourite character from a different game system? Go for it.Your world will be incorporated into the over-arcing plot. Don't worry if you make a 200 point character when you could make a 1000 point dragon, the purpose of this game is not power. This game is plot driven. The threat level will be tailored to characters. If you do make a 1000 point character, you will be confronted with foes that are a match for you and placed in situations where all your dragonly might is useless. The 230 point Sherlock Holmes character will be equal to the 1000 point reformed Smaug as roleplaying and thematic development will ultimately be the deciding element. If needed we can always balance out lower powered characters with subtle advantages like Ridiculous Luck or Major Destiny and use the optional rule of spending CP to reroll failures with a stockpile of extra CP.

Bane Root
March 8th, 2016, 00:29
A character intro would be a literary text individually tailored to the characters and run something like this;

Neo Tokyo
Industrial Sector 21
2030AD

https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Veritas904SD/rooftop_by_artbytheo-d30mta5_zps7yyhtbwu.jpg[/URL]

Thomas's eyes narrowed at the sudden appearance of the two on the windswept rooftop. When he had crossed the rooftop seconds previously, he was alone, but now, impossibly, they were there. An old, man with a weather, careworn face and an unbelievably beautiful woman. The old man steps forward, his hands held wide to show he meant no ill intent. The distant hum of traffic did nothing to impede the old man's voice as he spoke, his voice deep and sonorous,
"Thomas...Please don't run. I am called Wednesday. My associate is named Hecate."

As Wednesday gestures toward the Stunning woman, she alights gracefully on a nearby air vent, sitting cross-legged. Her shimmering black hair falls like a waterfall down her pale slender shoulders, luminescent icy blue, almost mirror like eyes stare out of an angelically beautiful face. Her skin was like smooth milk,silky and flawless.

Wednesday continued,
"Thomas. I know everything about you. About your family... And... I need your help. Will you listen to my proposal?"

A wave of rage and pain washed over Thomas at the mention of his family. Grimacing he looked away, focusing on the distant gauss-rail lines snaking through NeoTokyo. Thomas looked away from the dark cityscape that stretched out before him, locking his eyes on the strange old man wearing a worn brown trench-coat over a strangely archaic dark grey suit with a black tie, his right eye covered in a black patch,
" I will listen..."
He smirked, "...IF you tell me how you lost your eye."
Wednesday smiles, a look of genuine affection crossing his weathered face,
"It's a deal Thomas. Though you may find what I have to say unbelievable. But listen.. and then let me show you the truth of my words... Let me tell you the story of how I lost my eye... for uncountable years I have been travelling the multiverse, slipping from realm to realm by any of the myriad means at my disposal. The easiest way is a gigantic mystical tree that exists in my realm, a tree whose very roots and branches stretch far out, reaching to different dimensions. This tree, named Yggdrasill in my native tongue, will become important later on in my story."

The one-eyed man moves slowly forward, until he is standing in front of Thomas,
"As the years fled by, melting into centuries and I moved from world to world, I began to notice disturbing trends forming throughout the multiverse. Dark cults began to manifest, dedicated to destruction, fanatics rose to power across the multiverse, misery spread like a disease... Whole worlds, entire galaxies were consumed by nihilistic warfare. I turned my mind towards solving this dark riddle and slowly became aware of sinister forces at work, moving across the realms,influencing the course of fate on a uncountable worlds. Amassing power, forming great and terrible armies... Worse then that... they were looking for something. To confront them directly would be utter folly. I was barely aware of their existence, let alone the extent of their power or numbers."

Looking back over his shoulder at Hecate, he pauses before returning his gaze to Thomas,
"Hecate can attest to the savagery of but one small part of the forces aligned against us. The K'Chain Che'Malle are a reptilian race using both magic and technology.Their cold, merciless reason has wiped numerous peace-loving races from existence. To confront them directly would require me to raise an army, it would take years and even then the outcome of that war would be uncertain. Even if I was victorious, it would be at a terrible cost and would leave me no closer to knowing the true face of this threat."

Wednesday's single grey eye stares into the distance, his mind obviously assaulted by terrible memories. Shaking his head slowly he continues,
"To find out what darkness threatened all existence... I undertook a terrible ritual. The mighty Yggdrasill reaches throughout the multiverse and as such has a power and permanency that allows for truly powerful magic to be enacted within it bows. I performed a great ritual spell wherein I removed my own eye with a dagger and had my allies crucify me to the great tree. For a year and a day I suffered, nailed to Yggdrasill. Through agony I gained enlightenment.When my allies returned and removed the cold iron nails from my hands and feet I knew what we faced and what I must do. In the delirium of agony, I saw the lives of the group I must assemble. I saw each of them on their various worlds,in their various realms of existence..."

A smile plays across Wednesday's face, and he looks at Thomas with a mix of admiration and pride,
"I sat as a disembodied ghost and watched as they were born or created, watched them grow or be assembled... I walked every step of their lives... I know your anger and pain Thomas, for I was there when you saw your family slain, I was there when you enacted your terrible vengeance upon their killers... In loosing my eye I gained sight. I have seen your life, every day from the time of your birth up until when you landed upon this rooftop. I have seen this meeting. I am not your enemy Thomas. I am your alley. I have walked with you your whole life... You mistrust me as from your perception we have never met before and my tale is wondrous and hard to believe. For me it is as if we are reunited, old, dear friends separated by oceans of time... I have missed you Thomas... I feel as if you are my own son."

Pausing as his words sink in, the old man continues softly,
"That is how I lost my eye, it is also why you have to help me. I need your dedication, I need the strength of your arm and the keenness of your blades in this fight against the growing darkness."

ronnke
March 12th, 2016, 04:02
Consider me an interested party, but scheduling will be important.

Bane Root
March 14th, 2016, 00:22
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Veritas904SD/wallhaven-122837_zpsgv5ygckc.jpg (https://s208.photobucket.com/user/Veritas904SD/media/wallhaven-122837_zpsgv5ygckc.jpg.html)

Bane Root
March 14th, 2016, 01:25
https://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/Veritas904SD/War_zpskpnl4a7r.jpg (https://s208.photobucket.com/user/Veritas904SD/media/War_zpskpnl4a7r.jpg.html)

damned
March 14th, 2016, 05:00
some nice mashups there!

ibecker
March 15th, 2016, 06:08
This sounds like a fun game concept. This might finally be my chance to play Superman! :)
I'd be interested, but the scheduling would be key.

Is there an expected/suggested experience level for the players? I'm a long-time RPG player/GM, but a relative newcomer to both GURPS and FG, though I'm a fan of both.

-Ian

mariic
March 19th, 2016, 00:59
Is this on the calendar?

Bane Root
March 21st, 2016, 23:41
Is this on the calendar?

Not yet as I am still gauging interest. I'm flexible with my schedule and would like to play every other week as I run another game here on FG.

Bane Root
March 21st, 2016, 23:47
This sounds like a fun game concept. This might finally be my chance to play Superman! :)
I'd be interested, but the scheduling would be key.

Is there an expected/suggested experience level for the players? I'm a long-time RPG player/GM, but a relative newcomer to both GURPS and FG, though I'm a fan of both.

-Ian

There is nothing set in stone other then the 850 ADV/150 DIS point cap on points for creating a character. But, as I said in my game concept intro, this game is not about power. If you were to make Superman, I promise you, everyone we encountered would be packing Kryptonite based laser weaponry.

Bane Root
March 21st, 2016, 23:48
Assuming a bi-weekly game, what day/time would be best?

Bane Root
March 21st, 2016, 23:49
My other game is on Sundays, so if it were to run on opposite Sundays its fine by me...

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 01:03
Hi mariic you might be interested in one or both of Bane Roots one shot sessions at FG Con.
https://www.fg-con.com/events/gurps-wwii-sword-beach-normandy-invasion/
https://www.fg-con.com/events/gantz/

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/fgcon8-banner-05.jpg (https://www.fg-con.com/events/)
FG Con 8 – Invite A Friend April 8-10th 2016
Register at www.fg-con.com (https://www.fg-con.com/) for all the latest info.

ronnke
March 22nd, 2016, 01:11
Sundays are out for me and it looks like my weekends in general will be occupied. Friday nights are workable.

alouette
April 16th, 2016, 23:39
I am not sure what the status of the campaign in this thread is, but i wanted to add myself as an interested party. To give you a quick background. I am an experienced pnp rpg'er who played mostly Gurps, but also AD&D, Torg, Call of Cuthullu, Rolemaster etc. Owing to life I had to stop for a long time (kind of around the time when Steve Jackson made the switch to GURPS 4e) and am now looking forward to get back into the game(s). I am not conversant with FG, but I am a quick study and usually pick up software quickly.
PM me with any questions you might have!

I am free any evening (9:00 PM EST), but weekdays is currently best, although that might change in the future.

alouette
June 30th, 2016, 04:58
Any news on this campaign?

Bane Root
August 14th, 2016, 07:38
Game postponed indefinitely due to real life complications and lack of player interest.

Litvyak
August 16th, 2016, 15:45
Subbed in case you ever decide to resurrect this idea.

Bane Root
August 18th, 2016, 16:37
My work schedule is shift work, rotating every two weeks. That means that if we were to play bi-monthly, we could play every two weeks on the same day. If we wanted a weekly game (ideally) it would mean switching days every week. For example, play on Tuesday evening one week, Wednesday evening the next. Then repeat. It has been my experience on FG that finding players isn't difficult. The difficulty is finding a time when everyone is available. The upside of shiftwork is that I know my availability for the entire year, so if we could agree on a specific game schedule, I'd be able to commit to it long term.
Is a Tuesday/Wednesday alternating weekly game feasible for people? Or should we go with a bi-monthly game?

Litvyak
August 19th, 2016, 03:21
Alternating days would work for me, as long as it was after 8 pm Eastern or so.

alouette
August 20th, 2016, 06:53
At the moment, bi-weekly would work best for me. But that might change in the near future. Then I would be up for an alternate schedule (EST 8 pm works fine for me).

HalC
August 21st, 2016, 01:12
I saw this thread and thought "interesting artwork, DAY YUM!" Then I saw the points available and panicked thinking "I always try to keep the lid on character builds around 150 to 250 points because my players (face to face that is) tend to go hog wild with all the points beyond a "normal" human being style character.

That having been said, I hope that you make a go of this, AND that you find someplace to keep a running log of events in game play somewhere. I'm sure I'd want to swing by from time to time to read it. :)

I finally set up an Obsidian Portal account to try to create my very own CHROME NIGHTS using GURPS and R. Talsorian's NIGHT CITY, but I'm going to have to do a LOT of prep work before I start a major casting call! As it is, I'm grabbing a guy from SJGames Forums to test out the idea of using "cyberdeck programs" as spells in GURPS CHARACTER ASSISTANT. This way, I can set it up for players to do net runs using the original GURPS CYBERPUNK rules and see if it is feasible for use with FB2 or not. The use of Odin and the Goddess in the opening phase had me thinking "Interesting".

So, hang in there. If you can't find enough people HERE, mosey on over to forums.sjgames.com and create your own handle there, and start joining in the fun there. I suspect that you might find a few takers that way *teasing grin*

Good luck!

Hal

sclose1970
September 24th, 2016, 18:00
Did this ever get off the ground? Haven't played in a long time, but this sounds interesting.

Litvyak
September 25th, 2016, 15:31
Did this ever get off the ground? Haven't played in a long time, but this sounds interesting.

Sadly, not as far as I know.

Bane Root
February 14th, 2017, 19:40
Game is still a work in progress, just put on hold temporarily and then postponed. I am back in the design/recruitment phase. There are two concerns I have when starting up this game.

1) The point total. Having recently run a 1200 point GURPS supers game, I have come to realise that the GURP system breaks down if too many points are used in character generation. To avoid that, perhaps a more modest, 450 CP with up to 150 DIS character creation would be more prudent...Alternately we could just have caps of Stats and Skill maximums.

2) Scheduling. While I would prefer a bi-weekly game, I still work an alternating schedule shift work. Is a Tuesday/Wednesday alternating weekly game feasible for people? Or should we go with a bi-monthly game played at the same day/time?

Bane Root
March 3rd, 2017, 00:49
Game postponed indefinitely due to lack of player interest/lack of GM free time.

Zwarrior
April 24th, 2017, 15:03
The game of my dreams and I'm a year late and a dollar short... history of my life.

If you ever plan to get this off the ground again, I'm all in. I love kitchen sink settings and high power games.