PDA

View Full Version : CHM Files.....

kalmarjan
March 28th, 2005, 04:05
Is there a way to make it so that a chm file can be opened in FG?
I have the RTTTOEE in CHM format from my etools, and the adventure is there, plus I have the book. I just don't want to type out everything. (I mean, it is already done, right?)

Is there a way to add a button so that I could select it and show it like a help file within FG?

Thank you

Sandeman

tarrasque
March 28th, 2005, 11:56
<snip>

Chris

CMP Mynex
March 28th, 2005, 15:04
Gentlesimians,

Please don't reverse engineer the chm files from our product, that's prohibited per the terms of the license for e-Tools (and pretty much every software package out there, not just gaming related).

kalmarjan
March 28th, 2005, 17:00
Okay....
No idea what that is all about....
I don't want to reverse engineer the CHM file......
I just want to look at it from the interface.
Is there a way to do this?
If it is illegal, then I guess that I have no way....
If not, then what is the point of having a chm file?

Besides, this is for me only, not for resale or any profit.....

If need be, i will just use the book while I play (Sigh)

Thanks for your help.

tarrasque
March 28th, 2005, 17:58
i guess you can have the chm file open & run Fg...then you can alt-tab as required

CMP Mynex
March 29th, 2005, 01:31
Okay....
No idea what that is all about....
I don't want to reverse engineer the CHM file......
I just want to look at it from the interface.
Is there a way to do this?
If it is illegal, then I guess that I have no way....
If not, then what is the point of having a chm file?

Besides, this is for me only, not for resale or any profit.....

If need be, i will just use the book while I play (Sigh)

Thanks for your help.

My comment was aimed more at the other post about breaking apart a chm and the tools available to do so.

As to your specific question, I don't believe there's a way in FG to view a chm file - perhaps a feature request there?

Someone mentioned alt-tabbing - that's one option... the other, if you've patient and have some time, you can copy and paste each 'page' from the chm file to a text file, then import into FG.

We purposely did not lock the chm files so GM's could snip out the relevant bits they need... however if a 'pattern of abuse' of our niceness ensues, then we will lock them down.

We're gamers as well as programmers (hell we three owners alone have over 70yrs of combined game play and coding experience) so we're familiar with software and limitations and try not to put limits in there to make life easier for other GM's... We want people to get more into using electronic aids, and 'locking down features' doesn't help... but for every one person that 'plays by the nice rules' there's another that doesn't... so we have to balance...

*sigh*

kalmarjan
March 29th, 2005, 05:55
Thank you mynex....

You once again prove that you are the #1 evil monkey.....

As for cutting and pasting, or formating or whatever, the thing is...

Computers are supposed to aid people, not create huge amounts of work for them. So rest assured, copying and pasting, or reformating the chm is not what I am looking to do. So I will alt tab my way into bliss.

(Remember the #1 rule of DMing? Never create more than you must.)

Thanks again....

Sandeman

tarrasque
March 29th, 2005, 11:30
Before I start I fully respect your copyright & the licence terms that you publish under (from WOTC)

My comment was aimed more at the other post about breaking apart a chm and the tools available to do so.

I saw it as a general question & just goole'd it..i didnt even realise that the complete module text was in e-tools as a help file & even more so didnt realise that it was naughty to convert it..

as most of these type of questions are about 'personal use' rather that to distribute the finished FG module there didnt seem to be any harm in it

as soon as i saw your comment i removed the post anyway

the other (option) , if you've patient and have some time, you can copy and paste each 'page' from the chm file to a text file, then import into FG.

doesnt that achieve the same overall result ? (but much slower :) )

We purposely did not lock the chm files so GM's could snip out the relevant bits they need... however if a 'pattern of abuse' of our niceness ensues, then we will lock them down.

as i understand it its just the text etc that you provide..no maps..so anyone would need the original print module to make a FG conversion (even for their own personal use) anyway

I hope you read this as I post it, which is as an explanation of my previous post

chris

CMP Mynex
March 30th, 2005, 07:32
No worries... I read your post as you meant it... I just have to pipe up about these things or I'm remiss in my responsibilities is all.

Brenn
September 2nd, 2005, 04:39
To cover my butt I just want to know-

If I write a stylesheet to export a character from etools to FG XML, can I share it without stepping on anyones toes?

Also I see that CMP has a FG adventure coming out, any chance you guys have already done this and can save me some work? *wink* *wink* *nudge* *nudge*

kalmarjan
September 2nd, 2005, 10:54
PLEASE! This has been hinted at for oh, about 6 months now. PLEASE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Make a style sheet!

Oh yes, it is not illegal as far as I know, because there are a lot of stylesheets out there. (Like eric noah's)

Cheers,

Brenn
September 3rd, 2005, 00:25
In lieu of having one already out there that I can modify to suit my needs, I will be doing a stylesheet for this purpose. My primary intent is to do one to suit my custom character sheet for my Kalamar game, however it is heavily based on the stock D20 (tags and such) so it won't be too far of a deviation to do the stock D20 one too.

kalmarjan
September 3rd, 2005, 01:56
Excellent, If I knew anything about xsl or xpath and stuff, I would have attempted it, unfortunately, I do not :(

I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Cheers,