PDA

View Full Version : Update finished, but now I can't load campaigns

heyhogan
March 7th, 2016, 16:11
When I first tried to update, Norton AV jumped up and stopped things. Disabled Norton and run the update, it completed as planned.

Now I get "Error Loading Data" Ruleset: Unable to load ruleset file (base.xml) Do you want to try to reload the data?

YES NO

Yes does not work.

Help!

Trenloe
March 7th, 2016, 16:59
Sounds like the ruleset didn't download properly.

Run the update as administrator and try updating again.

glennh
March 8th, 2016, 01:18
How do you run an installation or update as an administrator? I am getting constant errors and freezing up with the updater. I am running XP and until this update I had no issues.

damned
March 8th, 2016, 01:49
Hey glennh.

To run as administrator you right click the shortcut and choose "Run as administrator".
Check what your Data folder path is please and post it here.
Also do please check if you are running Norton that it hasnt blocked or quarantined the FGUpdater.exe

At some point you are going to have to let go of your beloved XP too :)

glennh
March 8th, 2016, 01:57
I finally was able to get it to work, but I had to turn off my Webroot security and completely manually purge all of my Fantasy Grounds folders. Huge pain, but it worked!

Trenloe
March 8th, 2016, 01:58
Info on running as Administrator in XP: https://www.microsoft.com/resources/documentation/windows/xp/all/proddocs/en-us/windows_security_runas.mspx?mfr=true

heyhogan
March 9th, 2016, 02:48
OK. So I shut down smart firewall, all AV stuff, and then ran both Fantasy Grounds (the main app) and FantasyGroundsUpdater.exe in the FG application folder. If I create a new campaign, it opens OK. If I try to load a campaign, I get a windows error (running on windows 10 by the way) FantasyGrounds.exe has stoppped working... and the program crashes. I did launch a Visual Studio debugger, and it says "An unhandled win32 exception occured in FantasyGrounds.exe [3208]. Further in it gave me "Unhandled exception at 0x77671658 (ntdll.dll) in FantasyGrounds.exe: 0xC00000FD: Stack overflow (parameters: 0x00000001, 0x000A2FF4)." and "Exception thrown at 0x7767163C (ntdll.dll) in FantasyGrounds.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation writing location 0x000A0FFC.l".

I think it's time for a fresh install. Two questions here. #1: When I purchased FG (several years ago) it was not on Steam yet. Any advantage to go to the steam version? Can I go to the stream version without buying it on Steam? (maybe not). #2: I plan to download the webinstall again and run it. If I delete the Fantasy Grounds Application folder (not my data directory where my campaigns are stored) will this work or is it possible that something in the data directory is corrupt?

Thanks!

damned
March 9th, 2016, 03:00
Heyhey heyhogan.

It does sound like there is a problem with windows or that FG is clashing heavily with something else on your computer.
-or- if it only happens to one campaign you may have problems with that campaigns database or maybe even an image asset...

What happens if you open a different saved campaign?

The Steam install on windows is just a wrapper that ultimately points to the same Fantasy Grounds files. Doing the Steam install shouldnt make any difference on your computer.
If you use the same email address on Steam and here then your license will auto magically appear over there too...

Nylanfs
March 9th, 2016, 12:25
Well it will announce on Steam to your friends that you are playing FG and they might be interested in seeing what it is. :)

heyhogan
March 9th, 2016, 14:22
Thanks all for the help. Ultimately I determined that my rights to the data data directory and particular files in the campaigns were messed up. To test and fix, I created a NEW data directory in new folder elsewhere where I had full control. I then restored a backup campaign folder after running update, which populated the rules folder. I then slowly copied stuff from the old folder to the new folder. Found some file with permission and attribute issues which I fixed during the copy.