PDA

View Full Version : GM PC Ownership Extension

Trenloe
March 7th, 2016, 14:27
No longer needed - functionality included in FG v3.2.0!

This simple extension allows the GM to take ownership of a PC, thus hiding the PC from players in the "Character Selection" window. This is handy if the GM wants to build detailed NPCs using the PC sheet. The same functionality can be obtained by the GM joining the campaign as a player and taking ownership of a PC, this extension removes this step from the process.

Versions

v0.1 Initial Release

Installing

Download the attached file GM PC Ownership.ext
See here for how to install an extension: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Data_Files_Overview#Extensions
Enable the "GM PC Ownership" extension.

Note: This extension is not restricted to specific rulesets, but it will only work with rulesets built on top of CoreRPG. Not needed for Savage Worlds, this functionality is already present in that ruleset.

Use

If the GM wishes to hide a PC from the players on the Character Selection screen they should right click on the PC in question and select the "Mask" icon:

This will change the owner to the username of the GM (usually GM unless changed for the campaign):

The players will no longer see this PC in the character selection screen. The GM can clear the ownership at any time via the normal right-click -> Clear Owner option.

Blackfoot
March 7th, 2016, 14:37
Nice. I always do this by running a second client session as the GM... but this makes that less complicated.

ShotGun Jolly
March 7th, 2016, 16:12
Yup, this will be useful!

Miekael
March 7th, 2016, 20:08
Very nice Trenloe, this is an excellent addition and I have been looking forward to something like this. Keep up the good work and thanks again for all the things you do for us.

darrenan
March 7th, 2016, 20:13
Now you need to create an extension that will allow a PC to take control of the GM! Muahahaha.

Skellan
March 7th, 2016, 22:44
Nice one Trenloe.

I am trying this out with the sw ruleset and it appears to work

Trenloe
March 7th, 2016, 23:17
I am trying this out with the sw ruleset and it appears to work
Cool! Thanks for checking it works in SW.

damned
March 8th, 2016, 01:57
Nice job Trenloe!
This should probably make its way into CoreRPG - its an oft requested item lately.

Mask_of_winter
March 8th, 2016, 02:45
Nice job Trenloe!
This should probably make its way into CoreRPG - its an oft requested item lately.
Should have been part of CoreRpg already. Savage Worlds has had this feature for years.

Trenloe
March 8th, 2016, 03:12
Savage Worlds has had this feature for years.
Had no idea.

Skellan
March 8th, 2016, 03:17
Ha! Nor me. So it does.

I feel silly now. I'll just go out and come back in again

GrimmSpector
March 10th, 2016, 15:53
Awesome! Saves me having PCs loading up characters they can't control because they're friendly to the party and me telling them to leave it alone lol

viresanimi
March 10th, 2016, 16:09
This is great. Thanks for making it. No more logging into my own campaigns constantly. You're the man!

Vires Animi

martel
March 11th, 2016, 08:12
nice feature. thks

Doswelk
March 11th, 2016, 13:49
Should have been part of CoreRpg already. Savage Worlds has had this feature for years.
Does it?!
<hurries off to test>
Wow! it does!

Will have to add to next video...

demonsbane
March 11th, 2016, 15:55
Awesome extension. Thanks!

Ashekelor
March 12th, 2016, 02:55
This works in Pathfinder (PFRPG). Thanks a lot Trenloe! I use a lot of NPCs in my game, both allies and enemies of the party. I also use Hero Lab to add were templates and the like. This going to make things a lot easier for me!

Trenloe
March 12th, 2016, 03:27
This works in Pathfinder (PFRPG). Thanks a lot Trenloe! I use a lot of NPCs in my game, both allies and enemies of the party. I also use Hero Lab to add were templates and the like. This going to make things a lot easier for me!
Note - for Pathfinder you can do a lot with NPC records, you don't need to use PC records for the majority of your NPCs. Use the Pathfinder creature parser to convert a statblock output from Hero Lab to convert into NPCs in FG: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20522-Pathfinder-Creature-Parser-V2-Beta-Version The Hero Lab info is in post #2.

Ashekelor
March 12th, 2016, 04:33
I'll give it a try - I have to admit I have been shying away from the parser because being a "parser" I was afraid it would be something difficult. I'll quit hiding about and try it once I get through an insane weekend!

Miekael
March 13th, 2016, 00:38
Finally got around to trying it for the Star Wars ruleset, unfortunately Trenloe, it did not appear to be working. This was the error that came up:

Ruleset Error: windowclass: Defined with a merge attribute, but the name attribute (charselect_host_entry) does not match an existing windowclass. Skipped. File (extension.xml)
Runtime Notice: s'dieboxviewlistmanager.lua: onInit()'
Ruleset Warning: chat: Could not find icon ()
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
Runtime Notice: s'chatmanager.lua: sendSpecialMessage - msgtype = refreshdestinychits'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = lightsidechit'
Runtime Notice: s'chit.lua: handleRefreshdestinyChits() window.getClass() = darksidechit'

Hope that helps you out, keep up the good works!

EDIT: Just wanted to add, this error came up when starting a new campaign from scratch and when trying to load the extension into already established campaigns.

damned
March 13th, 2016, 00:53
Star Wars is not a CoreRPG ruleset so this wont work.

Note: This extension is not restricted to specific rulesets, but it will only work with rulesets built on top of CoreRPG. Not needed for Savage Worlds, this functionality is already present in that ruleset.

Miekael
March 13th, 2016, 01:05
Ahh my mistake, I always thought the ruleset was built on top of CoreRPG.

damned
March 13th, 2016, 01:27
I think converting t to CoreRPG is something Trenloe wants to do at some point... when he works out how to clone himself....

martel
March 13th, 2016, 06:48
I think converting t to CoreRPG is something Trenloe wants to do at some point... when he works out how to clone himself....

please finish the ruleset CoC V7 with Ianward. ;-) do not scatter you

kilma.ard.venom
March 19th, 2016, 13:30
Thanks a lot! It becomes easier and easier to play. :)

Dragonan
April 20th, 2016, 16:38
Yea, very cool extension :)

Thanks for the work :)

Jwguy
May 13th, 2016, 21:30
A good and much desired feature. I'm going to miss my GM_Helper account, though.

Now, if only we could arrange PCs into folders, or something...

Trenloe
November 1st, 2016, 17:25
The extension is no longer needed - this functionality is included in FG v3.2.0. Please remove or deactivate the extension on your campaigns.

HoloGnome
November 4th, 2016, 00:43
This one is great - so glad to see it rolled into the main build!