PDA

View Full Version : Quick question on spell parsing for NPCs

Seraphim
March 7th, 2016, 09:52
I'm trying to create a template creature for my own homebrew creatures. I have everything working 100% and clean. Except for spells. I'm not sure how to set them up in my npcs.txt file. The PDF that explains the syntax lists everything but this (Unless I missed it, which is a distinctive possibility). I tried:

SPELLS
Sacred Flame - Cantrip (At will)
Level: 0
Casting Time: 1 action
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
Range: 60 feet
Description goes here

Here's the text file:

Template Character
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 4 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0
Skills Acrobatics +0, Animal Handling +0, Arcana +0, Athletics +0, Deception +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidation +0, Investigation +0, Medicine +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Performance +0, Persuasion +0, Religion +0, Sleight of Hand +0, Stealth +0, Survival +0
Condition Immunities None
Damage Vulnerabilities None
Damage Immunities None
Senses Passive Perception 10
Languages Any (Usually Common)
Challenge 1 (10 XP)
Amphibious. The dragon can breathe air and water.
Antimagic Shield. Magic doesn't work against this creature.
Actions
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Reactions
Explosion. This creature explodes when struck in melee.
Flammable. This creature is flammable.
Legendary Actions
Partisan. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Claymore. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
##;
NPC descriptor text goes here.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 11:26
Are you using par5e?

You need to include a Trait of Spellcasting and list the spells that the NPC can cast. If you have a look at the Mage NPC in the Monster Manual for example that will give you the wording you need. Also you need to list the spells exactly like it's shown in the trait. The spells will populate automatically when the NPC is placed on the Combat Tracker.

Here's an example which you can edit to suit your needs

Spellcasting. The mage is a 4th level spellcaster that uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 13; +5 to hit with spell attacks). The mage knows the following spells: \rCantrips (at will): Light,Mage Hand,Shocking Grasp\r1st level (4 slots): Charm Person, Magic Missile \r2nd level (3 slots): Hold Person, Misty Step

Seraphim
March 7th, 2016, 12:39
Yes, I am using Par5e. I have most of the layout set up. I just don't understand by what you mean by setting a trait up. If you notice in the mummy screenshot it has a field for spellcasting. I need to know how to set that up for any basic spell.

Here's what I have so far. I just can't figure it out. If you could amend my code above I would very much appreciate it. Once I see a completed example, I think it will click better.

Basically I need to find a way to add this. Every time I attempt to add a "Spell" entry, it just messes up the NPC sheet. I need the header and syntax for the spell itself.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 15:18
In your screenshot for the template character you have two traits there, amphibious and antimagic cone. Spellcasting is a trait so you need to include it in the traits section of your .txt file. I gave you the syntax in my post above. Copy/paste that into your .txt file under the traits section. Then when you parse the creature it will put the spells into it's traits. If you now look at the NPC in Fantasy Grounds you will see all of the spells listed.

Like this
Same as above
Challenge 1 (10 XP)
Spellcasting. The mage is a 4th level spellcaster that uses Intelligence as its spellcasting ability (spell save DC 13; +5 to hit with spell attacks). The mage knows the following spells: \rCantrips (at will): Light,Mage Hand,Shocking Grasp\r1st level (4 slots): Charm Person, Magic Missile \r2nd level (3 slots): Hold Person, Misty Step
Actions etc

Seraphim
March 7th, 2016, 19:29
Alright cool. You were right with entry. But oddly enough it's not auto-importing the spells. Here, let me include the current code and picture of what I got so far.

Template Character
Medium humanoid (any race), any alignment
Armor Class 10
Hit Points 4 (1d8)
Speed 30 ft.
STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0) 10 (+0)
Saving Throws Str +0, Dex +0, Con +0, Int +0, Wis +0, Cha +0
Skills Acrobatics +0, Animal Handling +0, Arcana +0, Athletics +0, Deception +0, History +0, Insight +0, Intimidation +0, Investigation +0, Medicine +0, Nature +0, Perception +0, Performance +0, Persuasion +0, Religion +0, Sleight of Hand +0, Stealth +0, Survival +0
Condition Immunities None
Damage Vulnerabilities None
Damage Immunities None
Senses Passive Perception 10
Challenge 1 (10 XP)
Actions
Club. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Sword. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Reactions
Explosion. This creature explodes when struck in melee.
Flammable. This creature is flammable.
Legendary Actions
Partisan. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
Claymore. Melee Weapon Attack: +2 to hit, reach 5 ft. , one target. Hit: 2 (1d4) bludgeoning damage.
##;
NPC descriptor text goes here.

Now that I look at it, I think it's all right. I just don't have any spells in the module I am making. I'll try adding a few to pull from. I didn't really consider it. I thought I could just pull from the PHB.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 21:31
When you open the character in FG and provided you have the PHB or the SRD open the spells will show up in the NPC. I just tested what you have above and the character is complete with spells when opened in FG.

Seraphim
March 7th, 2016, 21:52
Oh! You are right. Though oddly the spells only show up when I drag the character into the NPC's area. If I just open my library to view it, the spells aren't there. Not a big problem, just a little weird.

Zacchaeus
March 7th, 2016, 21:56
It's when the NPC lands in the NPC area that the magic happens, i.e that's when the character is populated with the spells.

Seraphim
March 7th, 2016, 21:58
Got it. Thank you for the assistance and clarity Zacch