PDA

View Full Version : LFG Tyranny of Dragons- Horde of the Dragon Queen, Dragonlance conversion

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 6th, 2016, 16:49
Hello all! I am thinking of running the Tyranny of Dragons set, but converted into the Dragonlance campaign setting, using d&d5e rules. I have already converted Chapter one, and it will take no longer than a day or two to finish converting the rest of the book. I am looking to run the game friday nights around 8:30pm to 9pm CST, playing for roughly 2-4 hours. I leave for boot camp in May, so if we don't finish before then, you have my apologies, and my promise that we will pick up where we left off as soon as I am able, though I suspect that will be some time. Note to players- I am new to Fantasy Grounds and may be slow at first, but it doesn't take me long to get used to software. I am not new to D&D though, I've been a DM for about 5 years now, and a player for at least 6 years before that. Hope to hear from you soon.

thuyhoang
March 7th, 2016, 03:05
I'm game!

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 7th, 2016, 04:08
Sounds good! I'd like at least 3 players, though 4 would be best. I can easily create a fourth companion non-player character, which I normally do anyways due to the fact that my normal group consists of only two other players, with a third who joins occasionally but rarely, depending on the campaign setting.

ArteF
March 9th, 2016, 02:38
I'd be interested, I could work with those times.

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 9th, 2016, 05:04
Ok so that's two. If yall want we can go ahead and make your characters. Any Dragonborn characters have to be metallic to go with dragonlance lore, and there are no drow on krynn that I'm aware of, (except for the one during Raistlins test at the tower of high sorcery, and that could be a mistake by the author of that book, or purhaps just an illusion for his test as most of the test is simply that, but from what I know there are no drow on Krynn.) How do you normally do it in Fantasy Grounds? Do you tell me the basics of what you want to be, and I create them as playable char. or is there an option for players to create there characters when the game begins?

Macross1979
March 9th, 2016, 13:35
Wow that sounds cool. I'd be interested in playing. I don't know 5E but I can learn.

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 9th, 2016, 17:51
5e is easy to learn. If you know 4th edition you can easily learn 5th. WoC actually dumbed down the rules a lot in order to make the game faster, rather than players having to wait 5 minutes for the DM today go through the algebraic calculations of 4e. Games move a lot faster, though their are less options during leveling up for the player, and prestige classes have been eliminated completely replaced with archetypes that players choose at second and third level. Also Druids no longer get an animal companion. Playing with me will be alittle different though Bc I overrule many of those rules. I do allow Druids to gain an animal companion, and I've also created a nature domain for clerics which also receive an animal companion. Also a note to all players who take part in this adventure; Dragonlance has always been a liberal campaign, letting players play as many races that are unavailable in other campaigns, such as the Half-ogre. I take that even further. I believe in a realistic d&d and I'll allow players to play as any race within reason, provided they ask me first, and if it's something that's rare, I also require players to create a creative backstory for their characters.

Artaron
March 9th, 2016, 18:28
Sounds like a super cool conversion and really fits.
Can't make the game but have tons of fun guys !

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 9th, 2016, 22:04
Ok guys, we'll start the game next Friday. (not this Friday, as I'll be out of town). If a fourth player joins by then, awesome. If not, I'll either adjust the encounters to match a party of three, or simply add an NPC follower. Most likely I'll do the latter since it's easier. Also a side note, dragonborn players will either need to create a background that explains how they over came the inherent evil nature of draconians, or perhaps that they were sent as a spy by the dark queen herself to infiltrate a party of adventurers she deemed a danger to her return to Krynn The later will have to come up with two backstories, one to tell the other players (the draconian's alibi to the party as to how he over came his evil nature), and a separate one for me detailing his true intent. Other players should be weary of any draconian's, though they should also be careful as to avoid prejudice, although role playing a character that is prejudice is certainly acceptable. If anyone wants to play any non-standard races, including draconians, please let me know before this Friday so I can create a racial template for the game next Friday. Also a warning to would-be draconians, either good or evil; draconian characters are unable to be revived due to the nature of their deaths. (turning to stone, turning to ash, etc.).

Macross1979
March 10th, 2016, 15:52
This sounds great! Since it will be my first time with 5e and fantasy grounds I'll keep it simple and make a human fighter. Is there any background info I need for Dragonlance? I've read the Chronicles series but I don't know much after that.

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 10th, 2016, 22:17
If you've read Chronicles, than you know more than your Human fighter would about the world, though not much. He would have heard the same story that is told in Chronicles, but not nearly as detailed. Our story will take place roughly ten years after the original companions stopped Takhisis from entering our world during the War of the Lance, 28 years before the war of souls. Krynn has been at peace for some time, with the exception of the average orc raid, and the annoying dragon cults that have seemingly sprung up during the chaos of the War of the Lance. Macross1979, do you have any particular details about your character you'd like to add? Such as a name and appearance? or a background? If not, I'll fill in the blanks for you and PM you the details of your character.

waylorn
March 11th, 2016, 03:55
Id like to play, I have 2 dragonlance games going now but have been looking to be a player instead of a dm. Ill start a character, is there a game thread up I couldn't find one, game calendar I mean, where I can sign up. Thanks

Macross1979
March 11th, 2016, 12:37
Hey Guys, I've got some bad news. My home computer died last night and It won't be able to get a new one for some time. I'll have to bow out for now. It sounds like so much fun! (I writing this from work).

waylorn
March 11th, 2016, 13:00
ive made the character, a barbarian. ill transfer it ounce the game starts and then roll for abilities as you like. if that's ok thanks

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 11th, 2016, 17:48
I'm sorry to hear about your computer Macross1979, and sounds good to me Waylorn. I roll abilities pretty liberally, I usually do 5d6 and use the highest three. That being said, I usually play with players who's only experience with d&d are the few campaigns we have played together, in which I keep track of all the rules and they simply tell me what to do. This will be my first game with seasoned players other than my games as a teenager with my stepdad as the DM, and if y'all want a more challenging adventure we can do the standard 3d6 if y'all like. As it is, 5d6 is hard to do on fantasy grounds due to the computer auto adding the scores, and the dice fading. It's not hard for me to roll the 5d6 on my end with real dice though. It's up to y'all.

Overdog
March 11th, 2016, 20:50
Are you still looking for another?

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 11th, 2016, 21:14
Yes Overdog, you're welcome to join in. Macross1979 if you manage to get your computer fixed before next Friday we can run the game with five players, I'll just scale the encounters up to make up for the additional party member. I think that fills the game though. My apologies for grammar errors, most of my messages I type at work on my phone.

CaptainArcana
March 12th, 2016, 16:02
I'm seriously interested in joining one of your DragonLance groups. PM me if there are any openings please

Overdog
March 12th, 2016, 17:43
Yes Overdog, you're welcome to join in. Macross1979 if you manage to get your computer fixed before next Friday we can run the game with five players, I'll just scale the encounters up to make up for the additional party member. I think that fills the game though. My apologies for grammar errors, most of my messages I type at work on my phone.

I was thinking of creating either a Half-Ogre Fighter or Ranger or an Elven Bladesinger. I know you would need to create the Half-Ogre so hopefully this is enough time to create it. His background would be a Pirate/Corsair if he is a Half-Ogre and I can build more history for him if you OK that.

If the players have a license for the game they can build them, export them out and import them into your game. If you want us to roll then you will need to decide if you want us to roll in front of you or we would be on the honor system. The other option is to use the point buy system in the Players handbook. If you want more powerful PCs you can up the points above 27 and players cannot buy higher than a 15 in a stat (unmodified by race).

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 16th, 2016, 00:35
Hello players. This game is now full. My players are Thuyhoang, ArteF, Waylorn, and Overdog. Overdog, I'm aware of the point buy system. We'll do the normal point by system. The server will be up for character creation starting today from 7:30 pm -10:30 pm CST. I'll open it again tomorrow morning at 9AM and close it at around 10:30 AM. Overdog, I'll PM you the Half-Ogre stats tomorrow. I'll PM each of you the connection alias. Thanks to all, and I look forward to a good game.

Nae'rune_Druu'giir
March 16th, 2016, 01:02
Bad news guys. Apparently my router wont allow port 1802 to open. I'll have to post pone the game until I can figure something out.

waylorn
March 16th, 2016, 02:07
that's a common problem, hopfully you can fix. I cant fix mine as its a verison, so I have to run games while I'm at work. If I run a game at home I use Hamachi to work around my router and it works great. let us know when you are fixed.

damned
March 16th, 2016, 07:34
Nae'rune_Druu'giir Ive sent you a PM. Reply back and Ill work on a solution with you.

waylorn
March 17th, 2016, 03:27
damned help fix mine, maybe he can do something to youre. He is very helpful and patient.

ArteF
March 17th, 2016, 15:25
Right so I set up a port forward for FG specifically on my router.

For some reason once in a while when FG updates it changes the port it's looking for on the client. What I do is I go to where I can test the connectivity, there should be an IP there that it's looking for. Check the last couple of numbers to see if they match any existing port forwarding setup on your router, if you don't have one setup just set one up using that exact ip address.

But for me 99% of the time its that the client changed the port it was looking for.