PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Damage not rolling correct

Dark Mullisha
March 4th, 2016, 21:10
Hi all,

I have an issue with weapon damage not rolling correctly.
the damage string is [str+d10] for a great weapon and the player has d8 strength, the game is rolling 2d8 all the time. I remove the str and replace it with a d8 and it rolls correctly, a d8 and d10.
tried deleting and re-entering and I also tried updating.
any ideas,

Thanks
Mark

damned
March 5th, 2016, 02:45
I dont play Savage Worlds but I think you are incorrect... :)
I believe that to use a d10 damage weapon you must have d10 strength so it is reducing the weapon damage down to your maximum d8 damage...?

Doswelk
March 5th, 2016, 09:07
Hi all,
the damage string is [str+d10] for a great weapon and the player has d8 strength, the game is rolling 2d8 all the time. I remove the str and replace it with a d8 and it rolls correctly, a d8 and d10.
tried deleting and re-entering and I also tried updating.

That is exactly how it is supposed to work, you need to have a d10 strength to get Str+d10 damage with a weapon.

If however you want it to roll str+d10 regardless of the strength (for example the Kraken bone sword) then enter the following: str?+d10 (this means that d10 is rolled regardless of the strength)

If you have a magic weapon that increase strength damage, then you can use '!' after strength, each exclamation mark increases strength by one die type.

Example: PC with strength four wielding a magic sword that increase strength by 2 and always does d10 extra damage: str!!?+d10

It should also be noted that any stat can be used in the damage field, for example I ran an adventure where the PCs were stuck in a dream world so weapon damage was smarts based not strength so damage was sma+d8

Dark Mullisha
March 8th, 2016, 04:00
Thanks Doswelk and Damned you are both correct, my error.
I did not realise this and I be damned if I can find it in the rules.

thanks Mark

Doswelk
March 8th, 2016, 09:25
Minimum Strength: A character whoseStrength is lower than the weapon die can use the weapon, but there are penalties. First, the weapon die can’t be higher than his Strength die. So if a scrawny kid (d4 Str) picks up a long sword (d8), he rolls 2d4 damage, not d4+d8. A brawny hero with Str d10 rolls d10+d8 when using the same long sword

Page 54 Savage Worlds Deluxe Explorer's Edition