PDA

View Full Version : Release v3.1.7

Moon Wizard
March 4th, 2016, 18:59
Fantasy Grounds v3.1.7 is now available via the FG updater or via the FG installer on the Downloads page.

This version mostly is to address installation issues, and provide some compatibility/performance patches.

It you want the details, a comprehensive list of patch notes is available here. (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/patchnotes.html)

Cheers,
JPG

midas
March 4th, 2016, 21:54
The poor update server. :)

HoloGnome
March 4th, 2016, 21:59
Thanks for making the mask more transparent!! :D

Andraax
March 4th, 2016, 23:13
Should have mentioned this earlier... When I noticed the "[CnC] Fighter BtH in level table was incorrect. Fixed." comment for 3.1.6, I went and looked over the fighter class in the PHB. I noticed that there was a restricted list of armor for the fighter; this is incorrect - the armor entry for the fighter should simply be "Armor: Any".

TheGarvster
March 5th, 2016, 14:54
Thank you Moon Wizard for all the work done and I must say, not sure if you changed stuff with the updater/ downloading but what used to take almost 2 hrs now updated in 5 minutes. I can't thank you enough.

AstaSyneri
March 7th, 2016, 16:45
All of a sudden FG gives me this error (which pops up every few minutes): Runtime error: Unable to save file (path) - Error (13): Permission denied.

How do I fix this?

Trenloe
March 7th, 2016, 16:49
All of a sudden FG gives me this error (which pops up every few minutes): Runtime error: Unable to save file (path) - Error (13): Permission denied.

How do I fix this?
This is a new message telling you there are file access rights issues. This was probably happening before, but you wouldn't have been told about it.

Run FG as Administrator.

Moon Wizard
March 7th, 2016, 19:03
There are 3 fixes to this issue:

[BEST LONG TERM FIX] Launch FG and click on Settings. Change the Data Directory to a folder other than "C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds", where your currently logged in user has full read/write permissions. (Such as "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds") Then re-run a Check for Update. You may need to move any campaigns from the old location to the new location after a change.
Change FG shortcut link to Run as Administrator.
Change the permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder to allow read & write access to the currently logged in user (or the Everyone group).

This update adjusts the installer to prevent the majority of the situations that would cause this error, but does not fix previous installations.[LIST=1]

Regards,
JPG

kavaliro
March 10th, 2016, 20:51
There are 3 fixes to this issue:

[BEST LONG TERM FIX] Launch FG and click on Settings. Change the Data Directory to a folder other than "C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds", where your currently logged in user has full read/write permissions. (Such as "C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Fantasy Grounds") Then re-run a Check for Update. You may need to move any campaigns from the old location to the new location after a change.
Change FG shortcut link to Run as Administrator.
Change the permissions on the C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds folder to allow read & write access to the currently logged in user (or the Everyone group).

This update adjusts the installer to prevent the majority of the situations that would cause this error, but does not fix previous installations.[LIST=1]

Regards,
JPG

Just for clarity, those are three separate approaches to fixing the problem, not one solution with three steps.

I also recommend moving your data directory to a more sensible location. I know people who put it in their Google Drive, for instance, so they have their data directory available across multiple PCs.

I have considered putting the whole data directory in a git repo, with an aggressive .gitignore definition. Already many subdirectories are git repos.

Anyway, taking the time to understand the layout of the data directory will save you time later. Over and over and over.

Zacchaeus
March 10th, 2016, 21:20
Generally the advice is not to place your data directory on any kind of Cloud storage since that will eventually cause synchronisation problems.

Moon Wizard
March 10th, 2016, 21:31
We've had reports of cloud synch services causing corruption in the campaign files causing data loss. I haven't been able to recreate the issue to know why that would occur, since the data files are immediately written to disk right after they are generated internally by the application. So, we've recommended against using cloud synch services for that reason.

Personally I use software to backup my system using a "mirror" strategy, which means that the files are only copied out, not in.

Regards,
JPG

drahkar
March 12th, 2016, 04:36
I have seen scenarios where services like dropbox, if you change a local file often enough in a short period of time can get confused in the syncing process. This can result in corruption of the local file. I had experienced this is a writing program I use that, by default, was saving to file every 10 to 30 seconds.

I usually recommend anyone who is using a program that has any kind of database file on a cloud service like dropbox, that they pausing syncing before they start the program and then enable it again afterwards.

drahkar
March 12th, 2016, 04:37
I have seen scenarios where services like dropbox, if you change a local file often enough in a short period of time can get confused in the syncing process. This can result in corruption of the local file. I had experienced this is a writing program I use that, by default, was saving to file every 10 to 30 seconds.

I usually recommend anyone who is using a program that has any kind of database file on a cloud service like dropbox, that they pausing syncing before they start the program and then enable it again afterwards.

I would also note that this is a problem with how those services handle syncing and not an issue in FG as can be recognized in the fact it happens in other programs as well.

KahnB
July 1st, 2016, 15:12
Hi Community,

I encoutnered an extemely strange thing today...
I run the "chekc for updates" button on my second pc, where I have FG Ultimated insalled, as we play at our second location tonight. And It turend backwards, from 3.1.7 to 3.1.5 and I can't get 3.1.7 back... The updater IS 3.1.7, though....
What's going on here?
Best wishes
B!

Zacchaeus
July 1st, 2016, 17:41
Check your 'rulesets' folder and if you see any .part files or any folders in there delete them and try the updater again.

KahnB
July 2nd, 2016, 06:04
Hi Zacchaeus,

thanks for the quick reply. I found the error. I jsut had it installed on a different location and obviously starte dthe old exe file. The update, beeing 3.1.7 didn't recognize it.
I just copied the 3.1.7 exe file and the corresponding files from the one machine to the other and it did work.

Bet wishes
Bernhard