PDA

View Full Version : Adding weapon to BOX dragged on from MM?

Varsuuk
March 4th, 2016, 14:22
I was trying to creating first converted (or of any type for that matter) module: DDEX1-1. I setup the mission one encounter by dragging in the bandits from the MM versus typing it in myself.

The module calls for them having nets, so I tried drag and drop from PHB equipment list, the net. No matter where dragged too our whether I hit add first before drag, nothing gets added.

Also on related question, if I drag a MM "monster" too NPCs, then edit the entry in NPCs in the campaign, does this have any effect beyond changing this one instance of the NPC?

I intend on exporting to Module when done.

Moon Wizard
March 4th, 2016, 19:05
If you drag an NPC from the MM to the campaign NPCs list, it will create a copy of that NPC that you can then edit. Edits to the new record will not change the NPC in the MM.

Regards,
JPG

Griogre
March 4th, 2016, 19:07
Let me help by explaining monsters *are* just monsters. They don't have anything to do with PCs or more importantly, anything to do with FG features for PCs (though they are moving more in that direction). I'll show you how to add a net, but first a couple of things: 1) You can't change a monster in the library module. 2). The net is an oddball weapon that would only partly worked if you did dropped it on a PC because while the to hit works, to free yourself is a Str *check* not a strength *save*.

The first thing you do is drag a Bandit from the list in the monster manual over to NPC list from the campaign you are going to export. Then open up the bandit from the NPC and Click the lock icon on the top right to unlock it. You need to do this because we are going to have to manually add the net. Drag and drop doesn't work but copy and pasting does. Once you unlock the Bandit scroll down to the brown slash next to Actions and click it. That will make a green + appear. Click the + to add a new action to your Bandit and call it Net. The way I would do it would be to copy the Light crossbow text down into the net action and then edit the range info.

To do that click the mouse on the line past the last period of the entry so the mouse is in the entry but nothing in the entry is highlighted. Then Cntrl A to select all text and Cntrl c to copy all selected text. Move you mouse down to the empty Net text area and go Cntrl p to paste in the Light Crossbow text. Next edit the range to 5/15 and just delete the Hit: 5 (1d8+1) piercing damage and type Special. Next open the equipment list find the Net and drag and drop it to the campaign's item list. Unlock it get the mouse cursor in the description area and Cntrl a, Cntrl c to copy all the text and then paste it in after the Special. for damage for the net action. It will paste in all the text.

It took me far, far longer to type this in that it would to follow these steps. Once you know the trick of it it is very fast to add a custom attack.

On the question about altering the Bandit. Right now in monster modules you can't alter the library entry. By dragging the bandit over and modified it you only changed a copy of the library bandit. You can export the altered bandit as part of a module which is what you want to do here.

Ask if you other have questions.

Varsuuk
March 11th, 2016, 07:00
Just came on to make late night snacky... have stinkin' cough that wakes me up.

Noticed that I missed this response :) Thanks, your response is fantastically detailed and yes, it took very little time to do (thanks especially to the crossbow tip, I at first tried to highlight, Ctrl-A was helpful info too.)

I'm going back to sleep or perhaps I could search for it and not need to ask ;)

If I want it to apply a condition (Restrained), since it involves a strength check instead of save - can I setup some "effect" in actions which applies the condition? I think I recall that on PC (which is not NPC ;)) weapon example. Figure, they attempt the check and if fail, I click the effect with player targeted...?

Zacchaeus
March 11th, 2016, 11:48
Just came on to make late night snacky... have stinkin' cough that wakes me up.

Noticed that I missed this response :) Thanks, your response is fantastically detailed and yes, it took very little time to do (thanks especially to the crossbow tip, I at first tried to highlight, Ctrl-A was helpful info too.)

I'm going back to sleep or perhaps I could search for it and not need to ask ;)

If I want it to apply a condition (Restrained), since it involves a strength check instead of save - can I setup some "effect" in actions which applies the condition? I think I recall that on PC (which is not NPC ;)) weapon example. Figure, they attempt the check and if fail, I click the effect with player targeted...?

To set up effects automatically for NPCs you have to include the correct wording in the stat block. So in the actions section you need to include a description of what the action is going to be and within that description specify what happens. So for example; 'the target must make a DC 14 strength saving throw and on a failure is restrained'. When you mouse over that sentence (on the NPC sheet) it will highlight the save and the restrained part. When the NPC is dragged to the Combat Tracker it will create two effects one for the save and one for the restrained. Double clicking on these with the PC targeted will automate both processes. Note that you can't write any form of words that will perform a strength check only a saving throw. So in your case the strength check bit will need to be done manually. However the 'is restrained' part will work. If you have a look around the MM or SRD bestiary you'll see more examples of this kind of thing. Just mouse over the descriptions in the actions tab and you'll see the kind of wording needed to make things happen.

Griogre
March 11th, 2016, 20:40
Yeah the problem here is its a Strength check not Strength save so I don't think that can be automated.