PDA

View Full Version : Modiphius' Conan RPG

CryAxe
March 3rd, 2016, 20:25
First, I'm not trying to get anyone to buy anything or pledge for the KS.

However, Modiphius announced this today in their Conan Kickstarter update:

Hi everyone, been a busy day and we're not stopping yet! First of all there's been talk of online play and I want to confirm 100% that the Conan Roleplaying Game will be supporting one of the major online roleplaying services. The question of which and whether it needs a stretch goal are being discussed but we're committing to supporting those of you who want this format. Tell us which is your preferred online service below!

Those that are interested in having Modiphius support Fantasy Grounds for this game and perhaps establishing a trend for future Modiphius support for Fantasy Grounds should let them know in the update. You may or may not need to make at least a 1 pound pledge in order to have access to the KS update and voice your support for Fantasy Grounds. It's in update #24. Since they are only committing support for one online platform, it would be a great if Modiphius saw overwhelming support for FG.

KS front page:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/description

KS update and request for responses:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/1508874

JohnD
March 3rd, 2016, 20:27
Looks interesting for fans of Conan, that's for sure.

Mask_of_winter
March 4th, 2016, 00:36
I backed this on the first day for the source material and artwork alone. Lots of big names involved in this. I voiced my opinion and gave my vote for FG. Over $300k pledged so far. Lots of stretch goals already. I mean, just look at those battlemap!!! (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/modiphius/robert-e-howards-conan-roleplaying-game/posts/1494156)

damned
March 5th, 2016, 04:46
Spend a Pound and cast your vote good people!

LongShot
July 17th, 2016, 16:25
I am a backer too. Has there been any discussion regarding a community-created rule set for the Conan 2d20 game? :D

timdog88
July 17th, 2016, 23:55
So what was the verdict as far as which online tabletop they are supporting?

Mask_of_winter
July 18th, 2016, 02:04
I believe it was Roll20.

Valarian
July 18th, 2016, 08:20
Unfortunately, it was Roll20.

damned
July 18th, 2016, 12:13
The good news is - Barbarians of Lemuria will be out very soon (about when 3.2.0 is out I suspect) for Fantasy Grounds.
It is a full ruleset, reference books and NPC/Bestiary.

Blahness98
July 18th, 2016, 15:38
Been waiting for the BoL ruleset, so hopefully that comes out soon.

But, for Modiphuis' Conan, I think it uses the same 2d20 concept as Modiphuis' other creation, Infinitiy (https://www.modiphius.com/infinity.html). So, if someone with the skills (ie, not me) could make a base rule set (like the numenera one) then you could play almost all 2d20 games. Wonder if CoreRPG is able to roll a pair of dice and take the higher of the two with the rolld extension. Think I'll go find out..

LordEntrails
July 18th, 2016, 17:37
Been waiting for the BoL ruleset, so hopefully that comes out soon.

But, for Modiphuis' Conan, I think it uses the same 2d20 concept as Modiphuis' other creation, Infinitiy (https://www.modiphius.com/infinity.html). So, if someone with the skills (ie, not me) could make a base rule set (like the numenera one) then you could play almost all 2d20 games. Wonder if CoreRPG is able to roll a pair of dice and take the higher of the two with the rolld extension. Think I'll go find out..

Sounds like the advantage mechanic in 5E. Some don't think CoreRPG can, but you could grab it out of 5E.

Talyn
July 18th, 2016, 17:47
...but you could grab it out of 5E.

Except that 5E is encrypted...

There are a few features in the 5E ruleset that have little (sometimes nothing) to do with the actual 5E rules that I hope SW opens up and includes as part of the default FG experience someday.

LordEntrails
July 18th, 2016, 18:34
The ruleset is not encrypted. Only the content (PHB, DMG, etc) is.

I've done very little with extension and nothing with rulesets, but you should be able to find something by doing this:

Go into your FG Data folder. Copy the 5e.pak file. Rename it to 5E.zip. Somewhere in one of those xml or lua files is the code needed to roll 2d20 and take highest.

LongShot
July 19th, 2016, 00:54
Yes. Unfortunately Roll20 was selected, contrary to my vote. Lots of folks seem to have misconceptions of Fantasy Grounds' fees. Although, I tried my best to correct them, as did some others.

The 2d20 system is not the same as rolling with advantage as in 5e. The second d20 is for "momentum".

Hopefully someone more skilled than myself will take the challenge of coding a rule set for Modiphius Conan. :D

-Longshot

damned
July 19th, 2016, 01:46
There is some really nice support for several rolls and for drag and drop libraries of skills, powers etc and a little more customisation of the MoreCore character sheet tab.
This also extends to NPCs.

If someone could explain the dice mechanic in detail - what you roll, what you keep, how you interpret it and whether modifiers ever apply Ill see what can be done...

Talyn
July 19th, 2016, 03:35
Lots of folks seem to have misconceptions of Fantasy Grounds' fees.

I had the same issue before I really got into FG and bought it. When you ask about it all you get is "OMG it's $150 are they crazy?!?!" No one seems to have a clue it's just $40 ($30 or so when it's on sale) for the normal license. And sorry, but to get all the cool GM features on Roll20 it costs more than FG's Ultimate license.

But I think if FG users would stop pushing the Ultimate in everyone's face, that might help the public perception of the price. If people are willing to pay $30+ for every hardback RPG book they own, I don't see a problem with those same players paying $30+ for FG. We pay $40 - $60 for video games and everyone has to own a copy so this is no different.

damned
July 19th, 2016, 05:29
I dont think that the Ultimate gets pushed at everyone. A very common question from would-be-FG-GMs is often "I just wanna make it easy for my players. I dont want them to spend anything. What do I need?" and for that the most common response is something like "One Month Ultimate Subscription and Lost Mines of Phandelver". I see almost every combination being suggested - which is great - confusing - but great :)

Valarian
July 19th, 2016, 08:45
The basic mechanic is 2d20, roll low. You can add additional dice through spends to get more potential successes. The number of successes generated is the thing that counts. A 1 is always a success, a 20 is always a fail. That's about all I can remember off the top of my head - there's a précis from the website below.

The system is something that's on my to-do list, as I've got a preorder to Infinity and kickstarter for Conan. I haven't had the time to devote to it as yet, but I've got a 3 week holiday coming up. Maybe then.

The 2d20 system is a dynamic, narrative system, designed to produce varied and interesting results from dramatic and action-packed situations. Characters roll two d20s, attempting to roll as low as possible on each one – the more dice that roll low, the more successes the character scores.

Tasks will require one or more successes to be successful, and any successes scored beyond that minimum become Momentum, which can be spent to achieve a variety of advantageous effects. However, this can come at a cost: characters who wish to succeed can push their luck, rolling extra d20s to boost their chances of success and the Momentum they generate. However, each extra d20 comes from the character’s resources – such as stocks of arrows – or adds to a pool of Doom that represents all the things that can go wrong in an adventure, which the GM can spend to complicate adventures and scenarios and make the characters’ lives interesting.

Diomitus
July 21st, 2016, 03:56
I found this...somewhere

SKILL TESTS Whenever a character attempts a task where the outcome is in doubt, the player or gamemaster will make a skill test to determine whether the task succeeds or fails.
TARGET NUMBER (TN) The Target Number of the skill test is determined by adding the character’s relevant Attribute to the character’s Skill Expertise.
DIFFICULTY A task’s difficulty (a value from 1 to 5) is determined by the gamemaster. The levels of difficulty, and some examples of what tasks might fall into each level, are described on the Difficulty Table (page 13).
BASIC SKILL TEST To make a skill test, roll 2d20. For each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the test’s Target Number, the character scores a success. Each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the character’s Focus in the skill used for the test generates one additional success.
For example, the Argossian sailor Zachirios is making a Craft test. His Intelligence is 8, he has an Expertise of 3, and a Focus of 2. The Target Number is 11 (8 + 3). Zachirios’ player rolls 2d20 and gets results of 13 and 1. The result of 13 generates no successes, but the result of 1 generates two successes: one for being equal to or lower than the TN and a second for being equal to or lower than the Focus in the skill.
If the character scores a number of successes equal to or higher than the difficulty of the test, then the task is a success. Sometimes difficulties are summarized by the number of successes required, such as a one success task summarized as D1.

DIFFICULTY TABLE
Simple (D0)- 0- Opening a slightly stuck door. Researching a widely known subject. Shooting a stationary target at optimal range.
Average (D1)- 1- Overcoming a simple lock. Researching a little-known subject. Shooting an enemy at optimal range.
Challenging (D2)- 2- Overcoming a complex lock. Researching obscure lore. Shooting an enemy at optimal range in poor light.
Daunting (D3)- 3- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry. Researching a forbidden subject. Shooting an enemy at long range in poor light.
Dire (D4)- 4- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry, without the proper tools. Researching secret lore known to only a few. Shooting an enemy at long range, in poor light and heavy rain.
Epic (D5)- 5- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry, without the proper tools in the midst of battle. Researching cryptic secrets, lost to history. Shooting an enemy at extreme range in poor light and heavy rain.

COMPLICATIONS Not every situation goes entirely according to plan, even when the plan succeeds. Characters are likely to face challenges and complications, even when things go well. Whenever a 20 is rolled on any d20 in a skill test, the gamemaster should immediately create and introduce an impediment or problem called a Complication. One Complication is created for each 20 rolled, so a bad roll can have multiple Complications. Complications represent an inconvenient change of circumstances. A Complication could present an obstacle to further progress, requiring a new approach (like a route of escape being blocked, requiring a new path), a loss of personal resources (such as using up a resource like arrows or salves), or something that hinders the character temporarily (a twisted ankle or a social faux pas). The important thing to remember is that a Complication is an inconvenience; they are independent of success or failure, and it is entirely possible to succeed at a skill test while simultaneously generating a Complication. The Complication should only take effect immediately after the skill test’s results have been applied. A character may leave himself vulnerable when fighting, but if his skill test succeeded, his attack still connects before he suffers the Complication.
For example, the Pictish warrior Dakeyah might successfully use Ranged Weapons to shoot an enemy with his bow, but on his test, his player rolls a 20. The arrow strikes the target, but the gamemaster might declare that Dakeyah’s quiver is now empty of arrows, and he must find more arrows, or seek other means of killing his foes.
Multiple Complications can be resolved separately, or the gamemaster may choose to group them together into a bigger problem.
For example, if Dakeyah’s player had rolled multiple 20s, the gamemaster might announce that in addition to being out of arrows, his bowstring has frayed and broken, or that a cloud of smoke has risen and obscured his targets. Combining multiple Complications might mean that instead of minor inconveniences (no arrows, bad bowstring), it might be that Dakeyah’s bow cracks when he draws it, making it entirely useless.

damned
July 21st, 2016, 06:31
I found this...somewhere

SKILL TESTS Whenever a character attempts a task where the outcome is in doubt, the player or gamemaster will make a skill test to determine whether the task succeeds or fails.
TARGET NUMBER (TN) The Target Number of the skill test is determined by adding the character’s relevant Attribute to the character’s Skill Expertise.
DIFFICULTY A task’s difficulty (a value from 1 to 5) is determined by the gamemaster. The levels of difficulty, and some examples of what tasks might fall into each level, are described on the Difficulty Table (page 13).
BASIC SKILL TEST To make a skill test, roll 2d20. For each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the test’s Target Number, the character scores a success. Each d20 that rolls equal to or less than the character’s Focus in the skill used for the test generates one additional success.
For example, the Argossian sailor Zachirios is making a Craft test. His Intelligence is 8, he has an Expertise of 3, and a Focus of 2. The Target Number is 11 (8 + 3). Zachirios’ player rolls 2d20 and gets results of 13 and 1. The result of 13 generates no successes, but the result of 1 generates two successes: one for being equal to or lower than the TN and a second for being equal to or lower than the Focus in the skill.
If the character scores a number of successes equal to or higher than the difficulty of the test, then the task is a success. Sometimes difficulties are summarized by the number of successes required, such as a one success task summarized as D1.

DIFFICULTY TABLE
Simple (D0)- 0- Opening a slightly stuck door. Researching a widely known subject. Shooting a stationary target at optimal range.
Average (D1)- 1- Overcoming a simple lock. Researching a little-known subject. Shooting an enemy at optimal range.
Challenging (D2)- 2- Overcoming a complex lock. Researching obscure lore. Shooting an enemy at optimal range in poor light.
Daunting (D3)- 3- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry. Researching a forbidden subject. Shooting an enemy at long range in poor light.
Dire (D4)- 4- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry, without the proper tools. Researching secret lore known to only a few. Shooting an enemy at long range, in poor light and heavy rain.
Epic (D5)- 5- Overcoming a complex lock in a hurry, without the proper tools in the midst of battle. Researching cryptic secrets, lost to history. Shooting an enemy at extreme range in poor light and heavy rain.

COMPLICATIONS Not every situation goes entirely according to plan, even when the plan succeeds. Characters are likely to face challenges and complications, even when things go well. Whenever a 20 is rolled on any d20 in a skill test, the gamemaster should immediately create and introduce an impediment or problem called a Complication. One Complication is created for each 20 rolled, so a bad roll can have multiple Complications. Complications represent an inconvenient change of circumstances. A Complication could present an obstacle to further progress, requiring a new approach (like a route of escape being blocked, requiring a new path), a loss of personal resources (such as using up a resource like arrows or salves), or something that hinders the character temporarily (a twisted ankle or a social faux pas). The important thing to remember is that a Complication is an inconvenience; they are independent of success or failure, and it is entirely possible to succeed at a skill test while simultaneously generating a Complication. The Complication should only take effect immediately after the skill test’s results have been applied. A character may leave himself vulnerable when fighting, but if his skill test succeeded, his attack still connects before he suffers the Complication.
For example, the Pictish warrior Dakeyah might successfully use Ranged Weapons to shoot an enemy with his bow, but on his test, his player rolls a 20. The arrow strikes the target, but the gamemaster might declare that Dakeyah’s quiver is now empty of arrows, and he must find more arrows, or seek other means of killing his foes.
Multiple Complications can be resolved separately, or the gamemaster may choose to group them together into a bigger problem.
For example, if Dakeyah’s player had rolled multiple 20s, the gamemaster might announce that in addition to being out of arrows, his bowstring has frayed and broken, or that a cloud of smoke has risen and obscured his targets. Combining multiple Complications might mean that instead of minor inconveniences (no arrows, bad bowstring), it might be that Dakeyah’s bow cracks when he draws it, making it entirely useless.

How you would implement this mechanic in FG has some similarities with how we did it in the Barbarians of Lemuria ruleset. It uses multiple d6s and you select skills and occupations before rolling.
In lieu of a ruleset I think you would just throw multiple d20s...

Diomitus
July 21st, 2016, 13:21
I have much more information if you would like me to post it

Nylanfs
July 21st, 2016, 18:03
of relevent info.

https://www.enworld.org/forum/content.php?3570-After-Over-A-Decade-Here-Comes-A-Brand-New-STAR-TREK-RPG!

Magnimost
November 3rd, 2016, 19:04
Necroing to say that 2d20/Conan would be a nice ruleset to have! The first book is about to released early in 2017 and is apparently complete, so it's timely.

damned
December 21st, 2016, 13:39
Ive just added 2d20 support to MoreCore v1.36 https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset
Usage: /conan 2d20x9y2
Character has Intelligence 8, Expertise in Siegecraft 3, and a Focus in Sapping of 2
Create a Roll for Intelligence (/conan 2d20x8) this would be used when there is no appropriate Skill
Create a Roll for SiegeCraft (/conan 2d20x11) this would be used when doing anything related to Sieges
Create a Roll for Sapping (/conan 2d20x11x2) this would be used when doing anything related to Siege Tunneling

Magnimost
December 23rd, 2016, 02:19
First Call of Cthulhu update, now this. Damn, damned, you're on fire :)

Thank you! I/we (my gaming group) might need to get on board the Conan crowdfunding train now.