PDA

View Full Version : Stealth rules

donpaulo
March 3rd, 2016, 12:46
Hello all. I am hoping to get some other DM ideas and or opinions on how we use the Stealth rules versus the Hiding rules.

While I am fairly sure most of us will agree how to interpret things I still wanted to throw it out there to see what others think about this issue.

This becomes especially important when using rogues and their cunning action. I wanted to hear how other DMs use the hide and or cunning disengage option together.

The Trickster can use an action to touch a willing creature other than themself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. Thus granting sneak dice from advantage.

Halflings are naturally stealthy and can attempt to hide even when obscured by a creature that is at least one size larger than them. A very nasty surprise indeed.

In an ongoing campaign I am in with SPOOFER we had a relatively new player using a rogue who was confused about the rule. SPOOFER used an interesting expression that I thought I would share.
He referred to sneak attack as "my friend helps me attack" which I thought was a very clear and concise way to describe it. After all the word SNEAK implies stealth which is not always the case.

So lets hear your thoughts please.

kylania
March 3rd, 2016, 16:49
I wanted to hear how other DMs use the hide and or cunning disengage option together.

Often rogues will use Cunning Action for "drive by" attacks. They'll rush up behind a target, take their flanked sneak attack, then use Cunning Action to Disengage and use the rest of their movement to back away without getting an Opportunity Attack against them.

The Trickster can use an action to touch a willing creature other than themself to give it advantage on Dexterity (Stealth) checks. Thus granting sneak dice from advantage.

The Sneak Attack damage only occurs when the Rogue, using a Finesse or Ranged weapon, has Advantage on an attack roll or another enemy of the target is within 5ft and the Rogue doesn't have Disadvantage on the attack roll. So Advantage on a Stealth skill check won't grant Sneak Attack status since that doesn't affect the attack roll.

Also, the "touch a willing creature Stealth Check advantage" thing is a feature of the Cleric Domain Trickery not the Rogue archetype Arcane Trickster.

He referred to sneak attack as "my friend helps me attack" which I thought was a very clear and concise way to describe it. After all the word SNEAK implies stealth which is not always the case.

Yup, that's a great way of looking at it, either you have total surprise with your attack or you have a friend distracting the target letting you get just the right hit in. Stealth skill doesn't enter into the application of Sneak Attack damage directly.

Zacchaeus
March 3rd, 2016, 21:48
Indeed, as kylania says stealth checks have nothing to do with sneak attack damage. A stealth check would be called for when, for example the character was trying to move quietly past a snoozing enemy or walk up to a door and listen without anyone on the other side hearing him. Hiding has very little to do with combat.

donpaulo
March 4th, 2016, 01:21
Yes I realized I did not sufficiently check the trickster before posting.

Driveby is also a good way to put it