PDA

View Full Version : Players can't connect

Gryfen
March 3rd, 2016, 04:00
Hello ,

I Haven’t used my copies of Fantasy grounds in a while (At least a year) but it used to work… I played using it for several years…. However when I went to use it again… the players can’t connect…. Many changes have been made to both the PC as well as the ISP since last use … so basically could be said it has never worked. The players get the Red Stop sign error “Could not connect to host. Check the address and try again”

Here is what I have and what I’ve done. Any new ideas or help will be greatly appreciated.

PC Details:
Processor: AMD FX8320 Eight-Core 3.5Ghz
Memory: 16.0 GB
Windows 7 Ultimate W/SP1 64bit

Router: Actiontec C1000A
ISP : Century Link

Fantasy Grounds: GM version (Updated to V3.1.6)
Players using : V.3.1.6PLAYER

On Windows:
Made sure Fantasy Grounds is listed as a firewall exception
Have Uninstalled all antivirus
Have Turned firewall off and tried to connect (Failed)

On Router:
Port 1802 is forwarded to my PCs IP (192.168.0.2)
Have created an application forwarding rule for Fantasy Grounds
Have disabled firewall and tried to connect (Failed)

In Fantasy Grounds:
Have Checked External IP So I know its correct (Double Checked with WhatsmyIP.com)
Have run connection test : Success ( I know right?)
Checked and updated my PC as well as players PC to make sure all are on V3.1.6

On the Web :
I have went to Canyouseeme.org, and it tells me the port is open and working properly.

I’m Sure theres more I have done… I have been trying to get this working again for the last week or so to no avail. As I said… any help or Ideas are greatly appreciated.

dulux-oz
March 3rd, 2016, 04:27
Hi Gryfen, and Welcome Back! :)

OK, can you start a 2nd instance of FG on the PC and connect to "localhost"?

If you've run the Connection Test (from the GM's pc) and getr a success, then the problem is narrowed down to the Player's Client copy - are they inside or outsie the router and are they using the Internal or External IP Address?

If you'd like, you can let me know your External IP (via my email [email protected]) and I'll see if I can connect to you as a player.

Let us know how you go.

Gryfen
March 3rd, 2016, 15:10
Thanks for the welcome and the help.

Yes.. I'm sorry I told you there was more I have done... I have 5 keys 1 GM and 4 Players, I started an instance of FG on another PC at my house... I can connect locally, but not through the internet (IP Address)

I Have not started another instance on the same PC, it didn't occur to me the issue might be with the PC or the Client on the "Player" PC. I ASSUMED it was with the host... I will Check that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again for your help.

Gryfen
March 4th, 2016, 02:37
My Most humble apologies for wasting your time with my idiocracy. I had one of the players try to connect... and he connected without issue... so it is an issue with my second PC... Not sure what yet... but it doesn't really matter .. it can connect via the LAN.

Thank you again for your time.

Till next we meet ... May your sword stay wet and your boots dry.

dulux-oz
March 4th, 2016, 02:45
I started an instance of FG on another PC at my house... I can connect locally, but not through the internet (IP Address)

I assume by this you mean "not the through the internet (the External IP Address)" - you are using the Internal IP Address of the Host on the (internal) client to connect, correct?

I Have not started another instance on the same PC

Well, if you can get a Client on the same LAN connecting (as you seem to imply by your 1st statement) then you don't need to connect from the same PC - the other PC on the LAN encompasses all the relevent tests connecting from the same PC does (and more) - its just easier in th troubleshooting process to start with a 2nd instance on the same PC.

it didn't occur to me the issue might be with the PC or the Client on the "Player" PC. I ASSUMED it was with the host... I will Check that tonight when I get home from work.

Thanks again for your help.

You know what you do when you assume - you make an @ss out of u and me :)

Its all good - let us know how you go (and my connection test offer still stands)

Cheers

damned
March 4th, 2016, 06:36
External players connect to the Alias or WAN Ip Address
Local players connect to the LAN IP Address
The GM on the same computer connects to localhost