PDA

View Full Version : WotC 5E Theme + Combat Tracker open = poor video performance

notrealdan
March 1st, 2016, 19:32
I've been struggling with an odd video performance issue for a little while now in FG, and I think I've narrowed it down. The symptoms are very noticeable and easy to reproduce on my system (Dell Latitude E7240, Intel Core i5, Intel HD Graphics, 8GB ram, Win7). It's not a power-house, but certainly capable of running FG well, and does normally. I've made sure the drivers are up-to-date, the system's freshly rebooted, etc. And, of course, FG is fully updated (3.1.6) and no other extensions are loaded. Thankfully, the issue is also easy to work around.

When using the official 5E Wizards theme, video performance tanks when the combat tracker is open. It really tanks, to what feels like ~5fps (I don't have a real measurement, but it's quite dramatic and makes FG painful to use). This seems to affect everything (dice rolls, dragging windows and maps around the screen, etc.) but only when the combat tracker is open. If I close the combat tracker, performance is immediately restored to normal. Given how important the combat tracker is, I can't really just keep it closed all the time... Opening other windows within FG does not have this kind of impact, only the combat tracker from what I've found. It also doesn't matter if the combat tracker is full of player and NPCs or completely empty.

If I instead use the default FG theme, performance is nice and smooth, even with the combat tracker open. This of course is an acceptable workaround, but I wonder what it is about the Wizards theme that's affecting performance so dramatically... I've tried some other custom themes and those don't seem to cause this issue either.

Has anyone else seen this kind of behavior?

Also, I've tried to replicate this on another couple systems I have, but neither seem to do it. One is a Macbook Pro (with Winebottler) and is almost identical specs to my Dell laptop, the other is a gaming desktop with almost nothing in common with the laptops. This leads me to believe there's something about the Intel video driver, but the fact that it only happens with the combat tracker open still gives me pause... Perhaps some asset in the theme is malformed/corrupted and causing some misbehavior? Can I force a re-download of that?

damned
March 1st, 2016, 22:02
hola notrealdan! where have you been all this time?
you cant redownload *just* the theme. if you delete the content.dat file it will redownload all your 5e stuff but it will be a much larger download.
also can you replicate this behaviour in a new campaign?
are you running on more than one screen?
does running only on the laptop screen make a difference?

notrealdan
March 1st, 2016, 22:28
hola notrealdan! where have you been all this time?
you cant redownload *just* the theme. if you delete the content.dat file it will redownload all your 5e stuff but it will be a much larger download.
also can you replicate this behaviour in a new campaign?
are you running on more than one screen?
does running only on the laptop screen make a difference?

Lurking... ;) Actually, I bought FG ages ago (2007) and used it for a while, but fell out of it because I was lucky enough to have a few local groups to game with. I've since moved to Denver (from the Boston area) and dusted off my old license to hopefully keep playing remotely.

I was only using one screen (the built-in one) on its native res of 1366x768. I also checked to see if running in a window vs. maximized made any difference. It didn't.

For the record, I just did the following just now (TLDR: still no worky):
-Created a fresh, new campaign with 5E rules, but no extensions (default FG theme).
-Confirmed that video performance was OK whether the CT was open or not.
-Exited to the launcher and loaded that campaign with the WotC theme.
-Confirmed that the performance issue does exist, but again only with the CT open.
-Exited to the launcher and loaded that campaign again with the default FG theme, just to make sure.
-Performance is back to normal, as expected.
-Closed FG.
-Renamed content.dat to content.dat_old.
-Launched FG and updated. The content was re-downloaded.
-Loaded the campaign again with the WotC theme.
-No change, performance is still bad only with the CT open... :(

No reason to keep content.dat_old, right? Anything else you think I should try?

Moon Wizard
March 1st, 2016, 23:03
Please try the version in the Test channel (v3.1.7). I just updated some of the frames that used small tiles to build graphical frames for the ruleset, which is something that we found can have a negative performance impact on older systems. I found a couple in the combat tracker, and I'd like to know if this addresses for you. Just go into the Settings, and select Test channel, then Update.

Thanks,
JPG

notrealdan
March 1st, 2016, 23:23
Please try the version in the Test channel (v3.1.7). I just updated some of the frames that used small tiles to build graphical frames for the ruleset, which is something that we found can have a negative performance impact on older systems. I found a couple in the combat tracker, and I'd like to know if this addresses for you. Just go into the Settings, and select Test channel, then Update.

Thanks,
JPG

Bingo!! Smooth as silk!

Thanks!

damned
March 1st, 2016, 23:38
sweeet!
great work Moon Wizard!

demonsbane
March 2nd, 2016, 11:12

This sounds great. No idea if it should affect the performance of 3d dice, but since the overall performance impact from popping a number of library windows is noticeable, it's nice to see that it's being addressed.

Right now I'm back into FG version 3.1.6 (from 3.1.7), so I'll check this later.

notrealdan
March 2nd, 2016, 17:14
This sounds great. No idea if it should affect the performance of 3d dice, but since the overall performance impact from popping a number of library windows is noticeable, it's nice to see that it's being addressed.

Right now I'm back into FG version 3.1.6 (from 3.1.7), so I'll check this later.

FWIW, when this was affecting my system it had a huge impact on dice animation, but only when the combat tracker was open and only with that one theme in use. I did try opening a large number of other windows (several maps, NPCs, PCs, story pages, library modules, etc.) but leaving the combat tracker closed, and performance was just fine across the board. Weird issue, but so far it seems completely resolved for me in the test 3.1.7 version. :D However, since this issue did not seem to affect my two other systems at all, I have a feeling the practical effect will vary greatly for different users with different hardware.