PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e - Lost Mine of Phandelver (Greyhawk conversion) - Australian time-zone

Brewin
March 1st, 2016, 11:51
* Edited post to conform with template and also to update status of recruitment (given there's a delay in posting replies as my comments are currently subject to moderator's approval). Current status of recruitment is at the end of this post *
(also edited cos I ramble too much and exceed the character count limit haha)

FG LICENSE: Ultimate.
TIME ZONE: Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) > currently observing daylight saving time (see https://www.worldtimezone.com/ for times)
DAY(S) OF WEEK, FREQUENCY AND TIME: Weekly on Sundays 2pm - 10pm or so (with a break for an hour or so for dinner)... but this will depend on what suits players. Ideally would like to also do a weeknight from 8pm - 12pm but this would very much depend on being able to schedule sessions at a day or so's notice (and whether such an arrangement would work for players) - so let's not worry about that for now...
TERM: Looking at an entire campaign really (i.e. a few months at least) considering that the plan is that this will lead into the Tyranny of Dragons campaign.
VOICE: Yes - using Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak Server (not that I've used it yet but I don't anticipate this being an issue). Skype can be used as a backup if we have to (Skillkoil below advised me that it can handle more than three callers at once).

GAME SYSTEM: D&D 5th Ed.
GAME SYSTEM EXPERIENCE: I've been DMing/GMing/Refereeing/whatever the system calls it for thirty odd years now (I'm 41 so yeah I started early). Most of my D&D experience relates to 1st and 2nd ed though (2nd ed in particular) and have only recently begun to look at 5th ed (have done 3 "trial sessions" so far to get to grips with it and like what I see).
FANTASY GROUNDS EXPERIENCE: Those 3 5e sessions were all using FG software so I'm pretty new to this as well, but seem to managing okay so far... (Plenty I can improve on though I have no doubt, so tips are welcome!)
CHARACTER TYPE PREFERRED: Standard PHB races and classes except Tieflings and Drow won't be allowed (since they really aren't accepted in most Greyhawk settlements - i.e. they'd be killed on sight typically). I'd strongly suggest no evil characters either (since official adventures do tend to be written through the paradigm of the heroes working for good, it's much easier to run material that way) unless you have a good reason (and can convince me that it'd work with the story and rest of the party).

SETTING: Greyhawk! Specifically Common Year 590 (around the time of the Greyhawk Gazetteer not long after the Greyhawk Wars) in the Principality of Naerie (formerly known as Idee).
MODULE: Lost Mine of Phandelver (with the plan being that this will lead into the Tyranny of Dragons campaign).
NUMBERS OF PLAYERS SOUGHT: 5 (but see Status Update at the end of this post for clarification around this).

PLANNED START DATE: We'll have a short meet 'n greet session Sun 20th March where we'll get characters sorted and set the scene etc, and then kick things off after Easter on Sun 3rd April.
EXPECTED COMMITMENT: I don't care if you have a job, children, a partner or friends outside of the game, you will sacrifice it all to play cos this is more important, and that includes if you're sick! Haha no but seriously, as long as you make an effort to make "most" sessions and give us notice (when you can) of being unable to make scheduled sessions, that's fine. Apparently there's a world outside of the fantasy world with important stuff to do. I guess if you sign up and then disappear I'll have to replace you eventually (and use proxy npcs in the meantime or something) but we'll see how we go...
OUTSIDE-GAME COMMUNICATIONS: I read somewhere on here that getting email addresses is a good idea so I can let you know when sessions are on (without just relying on the calendar) and send reminders etc. So I'd like to do that if that's okay with you. I've also used secret facebook groups in the past which have worked really well - not only for organising events but we can share files and players can discuss stuff easily too. I think? this means I need to friend you on facebook so I can invite you (not sure on this point to be honest) but that's okay since I've got plenty of friends on facebook I don't really know either haha. So anyway, I'd be looking at using facebook ideally instead of emails...

OTHER CHARACTER GENERATION NOTES: Starting level 1 with standard starting gear. You'll all start with 1 inspiration point (and will have a max of 3) and boosted stats since I like to give characters a better chance of survival (and the story arcs of official modules frequently assume that your characters are truly heroes anyway). And by boosted stats, I'm using this method currently: Set one of six stats to be an 18, roll 4d6 best 3 for the other five stats, and then distribute a further 6 points as desired (max 18). Then choose race etc...
PLAYING EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Not really an issue I think. Happy to accept newbies and veterans alike (and I'd hoping others will be accommodating of this as needed). Would be awesome to learn some new tricks with the software from experts too. Oh and if you've read/DMed/played the module that's no biggie either (ideally not I guess but whatever) - just don't spoil surprises for the enjoyment of others is all I ask :)
PLAYING STYLE: Focused more on fun and laughs probably than anything else, with plenty of roleplaying hopefully too. I try to be fair but firm as a DM (though whether I achieve that is debatable haha). My usual players and I tend to take the piss a fair bit (that means joke around) so you might wish to avoid this one if you're easily offended ;)

GAME CALENDAR LINK (for signups etc):
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1871

Hi there :) I think I've covered everything in the list above, but feel free to ask questions if anything above is unclear.

So basically this venture of mine has come about since my tabletop D&D group were talking about it, so I went ahead and got the ultimate license... But lo and behold only one of my players (and I have an "inner circle" of six players and an "outer circle" of perhaps as many, depending on how you count) has gotten around to getting on board the online train. So now I'm doing both online (this thing here) and tabletop. Being new to both fantasy grounds and 5th ed, me and my friend (Phil) have liked what we see in both the software and the ruleset, and now want to open it up to the power of the internet to see who we can get onboard... And starting with an introductory module that there's lots of fanmade stuff for seems a good place to start.

In terms of my roleplaying background, I'm almost always DM/GM/Referee/the guy running things - I think mainly because I'm the one who gets around to it and puts the energy into setting things up. I've run mainly 2nd ed D&D on and off since about 1990 (wish that was a viable option here) and pretty much always in Greyhawk cos that's the setting I know. I've had my share of "difficult" players over the years (and still have some of them haha) but ultimately as long as everyone is having fun (that's the point right?) I tend to let stuff slide and shape the session around what the players seem to want. I do like to see players staying in character and only "meta-gaming" where strictly necessary (e.g. splitting the party might make sense to the characters but not from a meta-gaming point of view) but hey don't stress too much about having to "play in the right way" as long as you're having fun AND contributing to the others having fun as well.

I do like using "gimmicks". I use a bajillion minis, tiles, etc in my TT sessions and excel spreadsheets to automate stuff... And I'm keen to bring lots of cool gimmicks into the sessions here. To this end, I've either sourced fanmade maps for everything (some of which are quite large in size due to detail so we'll see how that goes) or made them myself in mapping software. I've also bought a whole stack of (top-down) tokens and picked up the Sword Coast adventurers guide to aid with Greyhawk conversions (and there's some useful extra character backgrounds etc in there too) and the Hoard of the Dragon Queen to "plan ahead": a good thing since that has some character background stuff I'll work into character generation as well. Oh and of course we're using the critical and fumble tables cos it makes battles more interesting!

Okay that's probably more than enough dribble from me (edit: definitely since I exceeded the character count limit!) so let me know if you're interested and we'll work out something from there...

Oh lastly, I should add for the sake of transparency that I'll accept applications in the general order that they come in BUT with a view to taking preference for those who sound like they'll be more able to make sessions etc. Having said that, once I've confirmed you, you're locked in (muahahaha).

UPDATE ON STATUS OF RECRUITMENT:
(As of about 1pm Monday 2nd March my time)
* 1 player was already locked in prior to posting on the forum here
* Skillkoil and dereks then indicated their interest below (and are currently enrolled but not confirmed)
* 2 more players then posted on the facebook group that they still wanted in (where I said something to the effect of "last chance to sign up") - but they're going to confirm whether or not they're good to play and actually in tonight (that's in the next 12 hrs say) so I'm giving them that opportunity first.
* Then I got another PM from another player wanting in - whom I've had to explain the above situation to...

Soooo I expect to be able to confirm the situation in the next 12 hrs or so. I'll update this status then, but in the meantime feel free to register your interest should others drop out :)

Skillkoil
March 1st, 2016, 16:08
You sound like a great GM and I would love to play in your game. It would mean staying up late but I've been dying to play in a greyhawk campaign. Sign me up please. You should have no problem with the FG Teamspeak btw and skype can have 8 people on a call with the free version. Though running skype and FG at the same time is bandwidth heavy with a large group of people. Also you can make a game calendar for this campaign here on the website so people can let you know they are going to be attending in advance. Feel free to PM me if you would like to chat.

Mad Nomad
March 1st, 2016, 18:38
Hi, If you are still accepting people I'd be interested. I'll send you a private message as well/

Brewin
March 1st, 2016, 22:45
Just a quick update while I'm at work (that real life thing that drags me away from the awesomeness of fantasy world): Thanks for the interest guys, yes plenty of room at this point since the invite has only been up a few hours so far :)

I'll review invitations in the next 12-24 hours and update everyone involved so that they know whether they're in or not. But it'd be reasonable to expect that your places are reserved at this point (with 90% confidence say).

The campaign link btw is here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/?id=1871

I've also since noticed that I didn't quite follow the campaign template stickied on this forum - will get to that shortly...

P.s. Am thinking that the story will start with your character attending a seminar in an upstairs function room (a small private chamber essentially) of a comfortable local tavern in Naerie city where a halfling lass going by the name of Pernicious “Perni” Ticklebottom is giving a talk entitled something like "So you want to be an adventurer? Embracing opportunity and risk while avoiding the dreaded TPK"... Or something like that. At the seminar you'll meet the other members of the (soon-to-be) party and the story will proceed from there... Just some ideas to think about (still working on this one myself, having only thought of it myself last night)

Brewin
March 2nd, 2016, 03:06
Okay so there was an error and the original post in this thread got deleted so here's the details of the campaign again (me being the one running this) with the current recruiting status flagged in bold for ease of identification:

FG LICENCE: Ultimate.
GAME SYSTEM: D&D 5e.
SETTING: Greyhawk! Specifically Common Year 590 (around the time of the Greyhawk Gazetteer not long after the Greyhawk Wars) in the Principality of Naerie (formerly known as Idee).
MODULE: Lost Mine of Phandelver (starting 5th ed and using this program with an introductory module that there's lots of fanmade stuff for seems a good place to start. Doesn't really matter if you've read/DMed/played the module before - just don't spoil surprises for the enjoyment of others if so :))

TIME ZONE: Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST) > currently observing daylight saving time (see https://www.worldtimezone.com/ for times)
DAY OF WEEK AND TIME: Weekly on Sundays 2pm - 10pm or so (with a break for an hour or so for dinner). Ideally would like to also do a weeknight from 8pm - 12pm but this would very much depend on being able to schedule sessions at a day or so's notice (and whether such an arrangement would work for players) - so let's not worry about that for now...
PLANNED START DATE: Sun 20th March (but possibly organising characters individually beforehand - as decided by the players).
PLANNED FREQUENCY: Weekly (well mostly!)
TERM: A few months at least I'd suggest considering I plan to have this campaign continue with the Tyranny of Dragons campaign.
TEXT OR VOICE: Voice
VOICE SOFTWARE USED: Fantasy Grounds Teamspeak server (and Skype if we have to, although that's resource intensive as Skillroil points out so a last resort really)
OUTSIDE-GAME COMMUNICATIONS: Preferably using a private and secret facebook group (in addition to the game calendar) to organise sessions, since we can also discuss things, do polls and share files there. But this is dependent on what works for the group. Failing that I'd like to get player's email addresses for the purposes of contact, reminders etc.

NO. PLAYERS IN GAME & NEEDED: Currently all spots are taken, but register your interest in the calendar by all means for if/when a spot becomes available in future...
ROLEPLAY & COMBAT MIX: Probably around 75-67/25-33? Really it depends on the group as much as anything...
PLAYING STYLE: Focused more on fun and laughs probably than anything else, with plenty of roleplaying hopefully too. I try to be fair but firm as a DM (though whether I achieve that is debatable haha). My usual players and I tend to take the piss a fair bit (that means joke around) so you might wish to avoid this one if you're easily offended ;)

CHARACTER STARTING LEVEL & EQUIPMENT: 1st level with base equipment as per PHB.
CHARACTER RESTRICTIONS: Standard PHB races and classes except Tieflings and Drow won't be allowed (since they really aren't accepted in most Greyhawk settlements - i.e. they'd be killed on sight typically). I'd strongly suggest no evil characters either (since official adventures do tend to be written through the paradigm of the heroes working for good, it's much easier to run material that way) unless you have a good reason (and can convince me that it'd work with the story and rest of the party).
OTHER CHARACTER GENERATION NOTES: Characters to start with 1 inspiration point (and will have a max of 3) and boosted stats since I like to give characters a better chance of survival (and the story arcs of official modules frequently assume that your characters are truly heroes anyway). And by boosted stats, I'm using this method currently: Set one of six stats to be an 18, roll 4d6 best 3 for the other five stats, and then distribute a further 6 points as desired (max 18). Then choose race etc...

EXPECTED COMMITMENT: I don't care if you have a job, children, a partner or friends outside of the game, you will sacrifice it all to play cos this is more important, and that includes if you're sick! Haha no but seriously, as long as you make an effort to make "most" sessions and give us notice (when you can) of being unable to make scheduled sessions, that's fine. Apparently there's a world outside of the fantasy world with important stuff to do. I guess if you sign up and then disappear I'll have to replace you eventually but we'll see how we go... Sessions to run providing at least three players can make it (with proxy npcs being used if we have to).
PLAYING EXPERIENCE REQUIRED: Not really an issue I think. Happy to accept newbies and veterans alike (and I'd hoping others will be accommodating of this as needed). Would be awesome to learn some new tricks with the software from experts too!

GAME CALENDAR LINK:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/calendar/index.xcp?id=1871

Hi there :) I think I've covered everything in the list above, but feel free to ask questions if anything above is unclear.

So basically this venture of mine has come about since my tabletop D&D group were talking about it, so I went ahead and got the ultimate license... But lo and behold only one of my players (and I have an "inner circle" of six players and an "outer circle" of perhaps as many, depending on how you count) has gotten around to getting on board the online train. So now I'm doing both online (this thing here) and tabletop. Being new to both fantasy grounds and 5th ed, me and my friend (Phil) have liked what we see in both the software and the ruleset. We've spent three sessions fiddling around with this and learning and now want to open it up to the power of the internet to see who we can get onboard.

In terms of my roleplaying background, I'm almost always DM/GM/Referee/the guy running things - I think mainly because I'm the one who gets around to it and puts the energy into setting things up. I've run mainly 2nd ed D&D on and off since about 1990 (wish that was a viable option here) and pretty much always in Greyhawk cos that's the setting I know. Run a shitload (can I say that here?) of Call of Cthulhu over the years too but can't really see how you'd get the same atmosphere online as in a darkened room with candles and eerie music... I've had my share of "difficult" players over the years (and still have some of them haha) but ultimately as long as everyone is having fun (that's the point right?) I tend to let stuff slide and shape the session around what the players seem to want. I do like to see players staying in character and only "meta-gaming" where strictly necessary (e.g. splitting the party might make sense to the characters but not from a meta-gaming point of view) but hey don't stress too much about having to "play in the right way" as long as you're having fun AND contributing to the others having fun as well.

I don't worry toooo much about getting aspects of the Greyhawk setting right (I try but my time isn't infinite sadly) but I do like gimmicks. I use a bajillion minis, tiles, etc in my TT sessions and excel spreadsheets to automate all sorts of things like city, treasure, and random monster generation. And I'm keen to bring lots of cool gimmicks into the sessions here. To this end, I've either sourced fanmade maps for everything (some of which are quite large in size due to detail so we'll see how that goes) or made them myself in mapping software. I've also bought a whole stack of tokens - basically every Devin Night fantasy token set (yes he was wrapped haha) and may yet end up getting all the Darkwoulfe ones too cos tokens are awesome and can you ever really have too many? (Topdown ones that is, not a fan of the round POG ones). I've also picked up the Sword Coast adventurers guide to aid with Greyhawk conversions (and there's some useful extra character backgrounds etc in there too) and the Hoard of the Dragon Queen to "plan ahead": a good thing since that has some character background stuff I'll work into character generation as well. Oh and of course we're using the critical and fumble tables cos it makes battles more interesting!

Okay that's probably more than enough dribble from me (hope I don't exceed a word limit and have to edit this!) so let me know if you're interested and we'll work out something from there...

Oh lastly, I should add for the sake of transparency that I'll accept applications in the general order that they come in BUT with a view to taking preference for those who sound like they'll be more able to make sessions etc (assuming I can do that - otherwise simply just first in first served). Having said that, once you're accepted, you're in (since it'd be quite lame to accept someone in only to later say "actually I've replaced with you someone else").

Brewin
March 2nd, 2016, 10:46
(double post deleted)

dulux-oz
March 2nd, 2016, 11:45
No, not deleted or broken - just moderated - I've approved them now.

As damned suggested in your other thread - don't post links for the 1st 10 or so posts you make :)

And Welcome! to the Community

Brewin
March 2nd, 2016, 11:55
Thanks dulux-oz for your help (and tips noted for future!)

Brewin
March 2nd, 2016, 23:41
Just a quick update to say that places are filled for now but feel free to register interest in the event that a place becomes available in future.

Cheers!

Yurika
March 3rd, 2016, 03:09
would you like contact info for bench spots or to register in game calendar?

Brewin
March 3rd, 2016, 03:26
would you like contact info for bench spots or to register in game calendar?

I reckon registering in the game calendar is easiest, since that's an easy way of seeing who's on the "waiting list" (myself included). I think it lists in the order of application too (which would also be the order I'd accept places in). (EDIT: Actually it doesn't look like it does do that, oh well...)

Cheers and thanks for your interest!

El Condoro
March 12th, 2016, 09:06
How do you feel about lurkers? I'm in Melbourne, too, and find it hard to find a game with the Oz TZ and would really like to just join the game and watch.

Metaleye
March 13th, 2016, 03:05
I have placed myself on the game calendar, but I would just like to say here as well that the way you play D&D and the way you control things is fascinating. I tend to do a lot of community acting, so being able to be someone else for long periods of time is always fun and interesting, and I sincerely hope that I can join you in the call to arms.

Brewin
March 14th, 2016, 01:03
How do you feel about lurkers? I'm in Melbourne, too, and find it hard to find a game with the Oz TZ and would really like to just join the game and watch.
Hi there :) Thanks for your interest but i'm going to have to say no to this request, mainly for reasons of "conservation of bandwidth" - we already have players connecting from remote and far-distant locations (that can and have dropped out as it is) and so i really couldn't justify adding to that strain just so someone else can watch.. Hope you understand :)

Having said that, you're welcome to sign up as potential player in future should a spot become available :)

P.s. Sorry for the delayed reply too (been a busy weekend). I should get to updating the campaign description too (when i'm not doing this from my phone that is - as i'm doing now!)

Brewin
March 14th, 2016, 01:08
Thanks Metaleye for your rousing "call to arms" but as i'd just indicated on PM (now that i've had a chance to reply) spots are currently taken.. But you never know of course if/when that'll change, so i'll let you know if it does.. (And sometime very soon i'll get to updating the description - i'd do it now but i don't trust my phone not to screw sonething up haha)

El Condoro
March 14th, 2016, 06:21
Hi there :) Thanks for your interest but i'm going to have to say no to this request, mainly for reasons of "conservation of bandwidth" - we already have players connecting from remote and far-distant locations (that can and have dropped out as it is) and so i really couldn't justify adding to that strain just so someone else can watch.. Hope you understand :)

Having said that, you're welcome to sign up as potential player in future should a spot become available :)

P.s. Sorry for the delayed reply too (been a busy weekend). I should get to updating the campaign description too (when i'm not doing this from my phone that is - as i'm doing now!)

No problem. Understood. Have a great game.

Tromac
March 15th, 2016, 00:44
Hi Skillkoil,

I'm interested if you get any spots free up in the future. I'm a 43 year old gamer who has played almost every edition over the years since the 80's. Live in Newcastle, NSW so time zones link up well.

Cheers,
Troy

Brewin
March 15th, 2016, 04:51
Hi Skillkoil,

I'm interested if you get any spots free up in the future. I'm a 43 year old gamer who has played almost every edition over the years since the 80's. Live in Newcastle, NSW so time zones link up well.

Cheers,
Troy

Hi Troy, it's actually me that's running this (my original post got deleted when i tried to edit it with a link, such that the first post shown is now Skillkoil's)... But that sounds great anyway - add yourself to the calendar (via the link in the description third post down) and I'll let know if something comes up :)

Cheers,
Brewin

Tromac
March 15th, 2016, 05:00
Thanks Brewin, shall do that now.

Brewin
March 15th, 2016, 06:19
Thanks Brewin, shall do that now.

No worries :)

anima110
March 18th, 2016, 02:09
hi this sounds fun im willing to join if you still have room

Brewin
March 18th, 2016, 07:05
hi this sounds fun im willing to join if you still have room

Thanks for your interest anima, I see you've added yourself to the calendar... You've probably (hopefully!) also noticed that all spots are filled at present, but I'll let you know if that changes :)

PlutosPalace
July 18th, 2016, 07:56
Hafa Adai Brewin,

I was reviewing your game posting and understand that you are currently full of players. I'm also an old DnDer (43) and would like to try to get into one of your campaigns should you have any space available in the future. Plus I live in Guam so the time is perfect. Other than that, I'm pretty new 5e and FG. Quick study though. Thanks for your time.

Brewin
July 18th, 2016, 11:12
Hafa Adai Brewin,

I was reviewing your game posting and understand that you are currently full of players. I'm also an old DnDer (43) and would like to try to get into one of your campaigns should you have any space available in the future. Plus I live in Guam so the time is perfect. Other than that, I'm pretty new 5e and FG. Quick study though. Thanks for your time.

Thank you for your interest! Yes we are currently full (and about to start Hoard of the Dragon Queen, having finished Lost Mines of Phandelver), but players do change from time to time, so if another spot becomes available I shall let you know :)

spoofer
July 18th, 2016, 14:36
Hi y'all, sorry to butt in. One time only. :o
I am looking for a player Sat evenings, GMT +10, from 9 p.m.
5e game. Send me a private message. I need a role player.
Kevin

Brewin
July 18th, 2016, 23:50
Hi y'all, sorry to butt in. One time only. :o
I am looking for a player Sat evenings, GMT +10, from 9 p.m.
5e game. Send me a private message. I need a role player.
Kevin

Go for it Kevin - good luck!