PDA

View Full Version : Finally played my first FG game!

phogan88
February 29th, 2016, 21:35
Just wanted to share this...

I DM for my two sons (18, 13) and their three cousins (17, 15, 14). Our game went on hold when my son went to college last sept and all of us have been itching to get back in and play. We started our new Thule campaign early Jan and played the second session digitally over FG on 2/20. There were a few bumps here and there as we were all learning the new system but it was a very good session overall. I had watched several guides created by this great community which enabled me to get all of the players up to speed with the minimum info needed to get the game going.

Coming from roll20 (we just used it locally on my 55" TV) I feel the experience with FG is far superior. The combat tracker is amazing, it's very easy to create encounters, parcels, etc...

I fully anticipate the next session will go even smoother.

This is a great product and I cannot recommend it enough. I am very much looking forward to Thule being officially supported.

thanks,
phogan88

Zacchaeus
February 29th, 2016, 21:43
Jolly good. Sounds like you had fun.

Skellan
March 1st, 2016, 01:53
There is a bit of a learning curve but once everyone gets used to it I find it easier than running tabletop

Good luck with your game

gqwebb
March 1st, 2016, 04:28
I share in your excitement and understand completely. I am so glad wotc gave fantasy grounds the right to license otherwise dm prep, game play, and on and on would still be lacking. Yes TV, is a plus

damned
March 1st, 2016, 04:57
I DM for my two sons (18, 13) and their three cousins (17, 15, 14). Our game went on hold when my son went to college last sept and all of us have been itching to get back in and play. We started our new Thule campaign early Jan and played the second session digitally over FG on 2/20. There were a few bumps here and there as we were all learning the new system but it was a very good session overall. I had watched several guides created by this great community which enabled me to get all of the players up to speed with the minimum info needed to get the game going.

Woot! Excellent news phogan88!

TMO
March 1st, 2016, 07:49
Just wanted to share this...

This is a great product and I cannot recommend it enough. I am very much looking forward to Thule being officially supported.

Indeed, this is great news. Congrats!

BTW, if I may ask, what does Thule refer to?

Griogre
March 1st, 2016, 07:59
It's a campaign setting. They just did a kickstarter not too long ago. https://www.sasquatchgamestudio.com/products/primeval-thule/

ctcharger
March 27th, 2016, 23:48
I have had a similar positive experience. We are playing PBEM but if I were to DM a tabletop game (I may yet at a local store, FG has inspired my confidence), I would think using FG would be perfect for that. Might be fun if FG had a observer mode where your laptop shows the DM view and it sends the PC view to the projector/tv screen (hint hint).

TMO
March 27th, 2016, 23:50
I have had a similar positive experience. We are playing PBEM but if I were to DM a tabletop game (I may yet at a local store, FG has inspired my confidence), I would think using FG would be perfect for that. Might be fun if FG had a observer mode where your laptop shows the DM view and it sends the PC view to the projector/tv screen (hint hint).

You can do that if you have your own GM license. You can log in using a separate session from the same machine and have both the GM and Player view running. Then just put the player screen on the projector as a second monitor.

ctcharger
March 28th, 2016, 00:14
Interesting... thanks! so you could have a monitor facing the players so they can see the map and all that. just too cool...

TMO
March 28th, 2016, 00:18
Interesting... thanks! so you could have a monitor facing the players so they can see the map and all that. just too cool...

Correct. Second monitor or projector...whatever you have that works. I have the Ultimate license so I was able to connect in with a Surface Pro with one of my desktop games and I just put that in the middle of the table. Because the Surface Pro supports touch and pen, we were able to use the drawing feature of the map/image portal with more ease that using a mouse.

ddavison
March 28th, 2016, 00:35
Yep ctcharger. You can do this with a single license. It's becoming a very popular way to run games locally that way with a 2nd monitor or connected TV or projector.

LordEntrails
March 28th, 2016, 01:03
If you have a standard license, you can launch a second instance of FG on the GM/host computer. Then when you put in the server to connect to, use "localhost" It is a special mode that does not require a license and prevents license conflicts. This second session you can then drag onto a second monitor (typically a TV or projector). and away you go!

ctcharger
March 28th, 2016, 02:28
Wow! That sounds like fun. I have a mac so I am not up on the surface pro. So FG must work on the surface pro. Interesting. I have the ultimate license if that matters.