PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e; Wednesday or Thursdays - DM looking to run

cyphus5
February 29th, 2016, 15:43
Hey all,
I'm basically new at the public VTT gaming, but I'm looking to start doing a lot of my gaming on here. I've used Roll20 quite a bit, but I'm making the jump to FG. Anyways, I have a weird work schedule, so my games can be consistently run on the same night, just not every week. Start time will probably be something like 7 PM CST (GMT -6:00), and we will use the community teamspeak server or Skype. I'm good with either. I'm probably going to start running Death House for Ravenloft. After that, we'll see. I've got a standard license and none of the D&D 5e upgrades yet. I don't think I have the time to use PAR5E, so I'll probably make that investment down the road.

EDIT
Potential Players
I've been asked this, so I thought I'd clarify here. I'd like to use the point-buy system from PHB. You get 27 points to spend, and each score starts at 8 for 0 points. Each extra increase in score (9,10,11,12,13) up to 13, cost 1 point per increase. So, 12 costs 4 points, for example. Every increase after 13 costs 2 points, and you can't buy an ability score higher than 15. For example, buying an ability score at 15 costs 9 points (Up to 13 is 5 points, +2 for 14, +2 for 15). I hope that broke it down for folks.

Sylpharios
February 29th, 2016, 16:51
I'm interested in joining but I work until 7pm PST every night so if we can move the start time back 2 hours I'm in.

dakkonwastes
February 29th, 2016, 17:40
are you talking every other week games or some weeks youll have to cancel cuz work? (I have a buddy on a rotating shift schedule so something like every 5th week off makes sense to me). If its the second, I'm down. If its the first, ugh, ill never remember anything

cyphus5
February 29th, 2016, 18:28
are you talking every other week games or some weeks youll have to cancel cuz work? (I have a buddy on a rotating shift schedule so something like every 5th week off makes sense to me). If its the second, I'm down. If its the first, ugh, ill never remember anything

I work rotating twelve hour shifts with four days working, followed by four days off. It'll roughly equate to four weeks of gaming, followed by four week off from playing. I can understand if that doesn't work out for you. I can always send Google Calendar alerts or add it to the Campaign Calendar though.

I'm interested in joining but I work until 7pm PST every night so if we can move the start time back 2 hours I'm in.

I'd probably be willing to make it 9:00 PM CST (GMT -6:00), but I wouldn't be able to run if I worked dayshift the next day (6AM-6PM). It could make it more variable on games (3-4 weeks playing at a time), depending on my shift.

dakkonwastes
February 29th, 2016, 18:51
4 weeks in a row at least let you build some steam. Count me in.

ArteF
February 29th, 2016, 23:24
I'm interested in Thursday specific, let me know what's up if you like.

cyphus5
February 29th, 2016, 23:39
I've posted the campaign to the game calendar. Sign up if you are interested. Right now, if I have enough players I'm leaning on the first session being March 10, 9 PM CST. If that's a problem and you've already shown interest, let me know in this thread. I'll try to work with people, and I hope you guys have the same attitude. As I said, new to FG DM here. The current plan is to do the Death House adventure, and that's it. If we are all a compatible, friendly group of players I'm sure it could go further than that. Maybe we could even play through Curse of Strahd when it comes out.

cyphus5
February 29th, 2016, 23:44
I'm interested in Thursday specific, let me know what's up if you like.

Thursday is an option, but my preference is Wednesday. If its starts to lean toward Thursday, I'll let you know. I know it sucks that Wednesday overlaps with official D&D play. It's just the optimal play day for me each week.

ArteF
March 1st, 2016, 00:43
Fair enough, I'll be up for Wednesday, but I'd prefer Thursday.

Also in my opinion (I also DM on FG), the player handbook for 5e is absolutely worth it, getting the entire thing. It's totally amazing for helping new players get into the game, it shortens character creation down to about 10 - 20 minutes instead of an hour. All the references are right there.

Nothing beats having the actual player handbook at your side though for quick reference, it's kind of cumbersome over FG for pulling up rules.

If you used R20 you are probably good about making your own maps, the grid system can be kind of tricky so its best not to set up your maps with premade grids.

I use ultimate, and it's really more for comfort than a necessity, its easier knowing anyone can join me than to have that friend who can't play because he's free.

As for the premade, Princes of the Apocalypse... it's good but as a DM you need to be familiar with the book and the Dessarian area to play it off right. It's the best book to play as a player first then as a DM later.

Abyss is tough, but it's the under dark so that's to be expected.

Par5e, I messed with it a little but I just didn't have the patience or know how to fix it when something didn't go right. Prepare for potentially hundreds of hours invested in it if you do plan on using it to create your campaign.

Rickerdoo
March 1st, 2016, 01:15
I signed up on the calendar and would love to play. Can't do the 9 PM time slot. Too late for this old man. :)

Sylpharios
March 1st, 2016, 05:05
I've also signed up for your campaign - thank you for moving it back 2 hours! Looking forward to the game.

Acehigh
March 1st, 2016, 05:53
I'm interested, pm sent and I signed up for the campaign.

dakkonwastes
March 1st, 2016, 14:01
wed is best for me as well,

cyphus5
March 1st, 2016, 16:21
I signed up on the calendar and would love to play. Can't do the 9 PM time slot. Too late for this old man. :)
Well, the time could change. I'll let you know if it does.

Right now, if I have enough players I'm leaning on the first session being March 10, 9 PM CST.
And, apparently I'm an idiot. That Wednesday is March 9.

cyphus5
March 1st, 2016, 16:46
Fair enough, I'll be up for Wednesday, but I'd prefer Thursday.

Also in my opinion (I also DM on FG), the player handbook for 5e is absolutely worth it, getting the entire thing. It's totally amazing for helping new players get into the game, it shortens character creation down to about 10 - 20 minutes instead of an hour. All the references are right there.

Nothing beats having the actual player handbook at your side though for quick reference, it's kind of cumbersome over FG for pulling up rules.

If you used R20 you are probably good about making your own maps, the grid system can be kind of tricky so its best not to set up your maps with premade grids.

I use ultimate, and it's really more for comfort than a necessity, its easier knowing anyone can join me than to have that friend who can't play because he's free.

As for the premade, Princes of the Apocalypse... it's good but as a DM you need to be familiar with the book and the Dessarian area to play it off right. It's the best book to play as a player first then as a DM later.

Abyss is tough, but it's the under dark so that's to be expected.

Par5e, I messed with it a little but I just didn't have the patience or know how to fix it when something didn't go right. Prepare for potentially hundreds of hours invested in it if you do plan on using it to create your campaign.

I appreciate the advice. I prefer TotM over grid-based combat, so no I'm not really that proficient with making maps, but I'm gonna play with it more to get better. I use images a lot for atmosphere in my own games. As for the PHB, I totally can understand that after I sat down yesterday and try to make some characters. I'll end up investing in it soon probably. For the pre-made adventures, I'm not sure which I'd run down the road. I definitely know PotA better, but that's because I own the physical book. I'm thinking I my wait till Curse of Strahd is available on Fantasy Grounds.

Potential Players
I've been asked this, so I thought I'd clarify here. I'd like to use the point-buy system from PHB. You get 27 points to spend, and each score starts at 8 for 0 points. Each extra increase in score (9,10,11,12,13) up to 13, cost 1 point per increase. So, 12 costs 4 points, for example. Every increase after 13 costs 2 points, and you can't buy an ability score higher than 15. For example, buying an ability score at 15 costs 9 points (Up to 13 is 5 points, +2 for 14, +2 for 15). I hope that broke it down for folks.

lonelyear
March 1st, 2016, 20:18
I am interester any day you are, my time zone is pst so just let me know when and i really like playing a Cleric

ArteF
March 1st, 2016, 23:19
Well if you are interested, I'll be back on at around 7pm EST to check the forum, I could open up a campaign so you can see what the modules look like as a player. I have most of the 5e ones.

Acehigh
March 2nd, 2016, 05:09
For the point buy I'm a fan of using this site:

https://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html

cyphus5
March 2nd, 2016, 17:35
Well if you are interested, I'll be back on at around 7pm EST to check the forum, I could open up a campaign so you can see what the modules look like as a player. I have most of the 5e ones.

I would be interested in doing that sometime. Just send me a PM next time you're on and hopefully we are able to coordinate something.

For the point buy I'm a fan of using this site:

https://1-dot-encounter-planner.appspot.com/point-buy-calculator.html

Yeah, that's definitely cool. It says the time of converting the points cost for figuring it in the Manage Characters part of the app.

cyphus5
March 2nd, 2016, 17:55
I sent out a GM announcement confirming the game and a couple of details. I'm not really sure how GM announcements work, but hopefully all active players receive them. Here's the list of players I accepted...

dakkonwastes
Acehigh
lonelyear
Sylpharios

Rickerdoo
March 2nd, 2016, 21:40
Have fun in your game guys. :) Maybe I can catch a different one.