PDA

View Full Version : Building an random encounter table with xdx number of monsters?

kalmarjan
February 28th, 2016, 15:29
Hey all,

First off, WOW, FG sure has imprioved by leaps and bounds. I hardly recognize it. I am using the 5E ruleset, and I have a question on building random encounters.

Is it possible to build a random encounter table where the roll would be done for you? For example, let's say on a roll of 10 on the random encounter table nets you an encounter with 1d6 orcs. How would you build that as an encounter?

I currently have a table set up throwing a chat window message that says "1d6 Orcs", I have an encounter linked in the table, but right now I can only specify a specific number of orcs in the encounter table.

Am I missing something?

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2016, 16:10
In your table you can specify a random number thusly [1d6] Orcs. So drag the orc NPC to the line you want and then insert the [1d6] bit. This will then output a number to the chat along with a link to the Orc NPC.

kalmarjan
February 28th, 2016, 16:11
Sweet! Thank you so much! Are yoou able to specify this on the encounter tab as well?

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2016, 18:23
No, you can't have a random number in the encounter table. What to do is set up your encounter with the maximum number of NPCs (in this case 6) and then adjust that number in the encounter before placing the NPCs.

I'm going to update the Tables wiki tomorrow since there are a whole host of changes to tables in 3.1.6. I'm just finishing up writing it at the moment

Zacchaeus
February 29th, 2016, 11:22
Wiki tables article (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tables) now updated.