PDA

View Full Version : When i set ADVSAV:poison it makes all saves have advantage

GarethMagis
February 28th, 2016, 08:13
Hello there, new to using the program but when i try to set up ADVSAV and then any damage type it instead gives advantage on every save. I even copy pasted the text from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26231-Let-s-Create-A-character&p=232808&viewfull=1#post232808 and it still does the same thing. I have even tried cold as well and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

damned
February 28th, 2016, 11:03
Hello and welcome GarethMagis - have you tried with the space? ADVSAV: poison? Where and how are you applying this effect?

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2016, 12:22
Hello and welcome GarethMagis - have you tried with the space? ADVSAV: poison? Where and how are you applying this effect?

That post has been incorporated into the wiki and you'll find much more information here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/5E_Character_Sheet#Creating_Effects) about creating this kind of effect (and it even has pictures) :)

Moon Wizard
February 28th, 2016, 19:07
While the information from the guys is helpful above, there is not any support currently for saving throws versus specific categories (such as poison, magic, charmed, etc.).

This is brought about by the fact that this information is not immediately available in the saving throw text in each power (i.e. make a Dexterity DC 13 save (poison)), but must be inferred from other information in the power description. I haven't done a comprehensive review of every PC ability/spell and NPC ability; but this seems to be something that is not always straightforward to do and would need to be handled on a case by case basis. It's on my list to review all ability/spells to see how much work it would be, but it hasn't bubbled to the top of the list yet.

Currently, this is handled by the players and GM by simply toggling the ADV button when making the appropriate saves.

Regards,
JPG

Zacchaeus
February 28th, 2016, 22:44
Ah, good grief. Sorry GarethMagis I misread your post but what has come out of this is that the Wiki is wrong and I'll need to amend it to remove that offending information. I'm not entirely sure why I thought you could automate a saving throw advantage against poison but there it is.

damned
February 28th, 2016, 23:36
While the information from the guys is helpful above, there is not any support currently for saving throws versus specific categories (such as poison, magic, charmed, etc.).

Oh - facepalm!

donpaulo
March 3rd, 2016, 06:15
Do you want to grant DISadvantage ?

Hello there, new to using the program but when i try to set up ADVSAV and then any damage type it instead gives advantage on every save. I even copy pasted the text from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?26231-Let-s-Create-A-character&p=232808&viewfull=1#post232808 and it still does the same thing. I have even tried cold as well and the same thing happens. Any ideas?

vonklaude
May 25th, 2017, 14:23
Just found this thread and realised what the problem was with my Halfling Stout effect. Any timeline on when ADVSAV will be conditioned for type?

Zacchaeus
May 25th, 2017, 14:30
I'd suggest that it still hasn't bubbled to the top of Moon Wizard's list yet :)

As he says it might not be the easiest thing to achieve.

Beldak
May 25th, 2017, 14:56
I bumped into this problem running through LMoP - I thought I'd be "smart" and made Racial ability powers for Elf and Halflings that granted advantage on certain saving throws. They bumped into the young green dragon who used its breath weapon on them, and those characters were rolling advantage on poison. Whoops! :) It wouldn't make it too much of a big deal, except saving throw rolls are done automatically. So, now as a workaround, we have to play with those racial advantages off and try and remember when they come into play.

Dracius
May 25th, 2017, 23:18
Have any player with a racial trait like that, put it on their "Special Defenses" section of their character sheet.

It'll cause it to show up on the party window, which a lot of GM's and Players keep open. That way you can always see it right there as a reminder.

Klandare
May 26th, 2017, 01:48
The way that I created it was make the ADVSAV: con (or constitution written out can't remember which and can't get to open my session right now). And then just toggle that off on players if the poison is not a con save. But from what I have seen it works most of the time.

One thing though, is if you do have to make a normal CON save (no poison) then you also have to toggle it off. Clunky but seems to work for us better than having to remember to toggle the ADV on all the time.

I did the same sort of thing for Fey Ancestry for the Charm spells with wisdom.