PDA

View Full Version : Marching Formation Extension

damned
February 27th, 2016, 07:17
This is a very simple extension that loads a new frame for the Marching and Formation section of the Party Sheet.
This should work with all CoreRPG based rulesets that have a Party Sheet.

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/partysheet.jpg

There are quirks and limitations to this.
The maximum number of grid squares that will be displayed is 10 in any direction.
If you scale the window bigger the grids will get bigger.
My example has a 10x10 image with 4 different scenes that could/should cover most fantasy scenes with some imagination.
UPDATE: I have fixed the Party Sheet default size so it opens at the correct size to display the full 10x10 grid that FG supports, aligned with the image.

In my example above I added the Characters tokens 4x so they could show their default formation in each situation. The Cart was difficult as making it scale right wouldnt leave any room on the page!

v1.1

Hector Trelane
March 4th, 2016, 03:02
Nice!

ctcharger
March 10th, 2016, 14:00
Nice!

I agree!

dmkevin
March 13th, 2016, 17:19
Great Job!

damned
March 14th, 2016, 05:19
Updated this with the party Sheet opening at the correct size and alignment as default.

kilma.ard.venom
March 19th, 2016, 13:48
Thank you! This will come in handy.

spite
March 22nd, 2016, 00:54
Quick question about this, it says if ytou expand the window the grid will get bigger, however when I expand the window it simply tiles them until I have multiple versions of the image. Is this intended? Is there anyway to have the background image scale with the grid? Otherwise it works great. :P
See attached.
https://puu.sh/nPb5u/35c8055c3d.jpg

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 01:00
Hola spite you might notice that it now says:

UPDATE: I have fixed the Party Sheet default size so it opens at the correct size to display the full 10x10 grid that FG supports, aligned with the image.
I uploaded a new version on March14 that opens at the correct size by default.

spite
March 22nd, 2016, 10:33
Yea it wasnt the opening at the right size, I was just wondering if its meant to scale or if it stays static image. Turns out its meant to stay static I guess :P

damned
March 22nd, 2016, 10:53
I have no way to configure how it behaves - thats programmed into it.
It will display 10x10 squares and will scale them as best it can. It wont scale the background image - it will tile it.
If however you resize the window most rulesets will remember your size and will keep that size... if you manually size the window back down to the rigt size to perfectly display the 4 tiles and then zoom in/out you will find it will remember that setting. The update changes the default size to be the slightly larger size to fully display 10x10 at 52px (the party sheet uses 52px as the default small size for the grid.

Koreapsu
April 23rd, 2016, 01:09
Great idea. I've been doing this manually so far.

Stig
April 19th, 2017, 23:22
Thanks for this! It's a great addition :)

Just one question. Is there anyway to add the ability to change the image, or even select from a group of images? I'd like to be able to use the marching order page to run quick random encounters, and being able to set it to a full size of even just those four images would be really helpful in doing that!

Trenloe
April 19th, 2017, 23:37
Welcome to the forums Stig.

Unfortunately, using the marching order map wouldn't really work, as the PC tokens shown aren't linked to the combat tracker, but the party sheet. So you wouldn't be able to use targeting etc. properly - unless you moved the PC tokens from the CT to the marching orders map, but then you couldn't use them on normal images as linked tokens are limited to one image at a time.

damned
April 19th, 2017, 23:41
Welcome Stig

The maximum number of grid squares that will be displayed is 10 in any direction.
If you scale the window bigger the grid scale will get bigger but the image will not - the image will tile.
It will always display 10x10 grid squares (or if the size is not the same in both directions the longer side will be 10 squares).
You can use a bigger image but you wont get more grid squares on to it.
You can unzip the extension and replace the image with your own but there is no current feature to enable you to choose from several images.

I hope that makes sense.

If you want to make quick random encounters make a similar image but larger - comprised of four or more scenes, keep it as an Image in Images and just unmask the scene you want.

Trenloe
April 19th, 2017, 23:45
You're better off just having a few quick use maps and link them to a story or map group, then quick deploy all PC tokens to the map by dragging the friendly faction button from the CT to your map of choice.

damned
April 19th, 2017, 23:49
This is another quick mapping option that might work for you:

https://www.fg-con.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/quick-mapping.gif

Wookiee420
April 20th, 2017, 00:20
thats super clever Damned!!!

Stig
April 20th, 2017, 03:21
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm aware that the size is locked and that you have to drag in characters from the combat tracker/party sheet, but I was watching a video where someone was doing just that. The way I run, it would just be convenient to not have to switch to images. However, that does look like a better solution :) I really like the way Damned suggest it! Very cool idea, I'll have to whip up a random encounter image!

damned
April 20th, 2017, 03:41
Its a 30second image made at Pyromancers awesome site: https://pyromancers.com/dungeon-painter-online/
And he has a desktop version too now with more features and assets for $15.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/592260

LordEntrails
April 20th, 2017, 03:52
+5 for the Damned! Great idea. I use maps similar to that just for a random encounter, but never thought to use the mask to define the rooms/halls/etc.

Milke
February 23rd, 2020, 18:46
I haven't figured out yet how the marching order thing works. I have icons for a marching order set in my game. But when I drag the tokens to a map, they don't appear in the marching order. So what's the benefit of even setting it? Just to have it for the record, I guess.

LordEntrails
February 23rd, 2020, 21:52
I haven't figured out yet how the marching order thing works. I have icons for a marching order set in my game. But when I drag the tokens to a map, they don't appear in the marching order. So what's the benefit of even setting it? Just to have it for the record, I guess.
It doesn't do what you think it should do :)

All this extension does is break the Marching & Formation window up into 4 separate images (actually, 1 image with 4 sections). This way you can set 4 standard marching orders rather than just the default 1. It does not change the arrangement of tokens when dropped on the combat map

Milke
February 23rd, 2020, 22:21
Oh, sorry. I didn't mean your extension. I just meant the marching order thing in general on the party sheet. It'd be super handy if the tokens actually came off in the order they were stored.

deepdivered
July 31st, 2020, 06:32
ok so what is that in the bottom right image on the orders? i cant figure it out at all haha. the other 3 i can tell what it is. well i think i can, is the top left like a bridge?

damned
July 31st, 2020, 07:12
Horse and cart.

Jiminimonka
September 29th, 2020, 23:28
This behaves oddly in FGU - grid scaling goes weird and map scaling too.

nephranka
March 30th, 2021, 01:40
This behaves oddly in FGU - grid scaling goes weird and map scaling too.

Same here....looks good when I set it up and the next time I look it is out of sorts.

damned
March 30th, 2021, 06:29
I have not looked at this extension under FGU. It was written a long time ago. Ill revisit it sometime...

nephranka
March 30th, 2021, 10:39
Cool. Thanks!
I found this recently, just looking around. It is something I found useful for my group. for now I just resize everything each time we look at it, not a deal breaker currently.

Zygmunt Molotch
September 23rd, 2021, 17:56
I have not looked at this extension under FGU. It was written a long time ago. Ill revisit it sometime...

it throws out errors now, but unsure why even though I've been digging

any chance of a revisit?

Jiminimonka
September 23rd, 2021, 18:06
it throws out errors now, but unsure why even though I've been digging

any chance of a revisit?

Damned has some finr extension tutorials on YouTube if you would like to take it up and have a go at updating. :)

ChrisRevocateur
September 27th, 2021, 21:15
it throws out errors now, but unsure why even though I've been diggingProbably because it's not needed anymore. I just opened a random selection of rulesets with no extensions, and they've all got the Party Formation section on the "other" tab of the party sheet. Then I loaded just CoreRPG. It looks like it was integrated into the CoreRPG ruleset at some point.

Zygmunt Molotch
September 28th, 2021, 04:19
Probably because it's not needed anymore. I just opened a random selection of rulesets with no extensions, and they've all got the Party Formation section on the "other" tab of the party sheet. Then I loaded just CoreRPG. It looks like it was integrated into the CoreRPG ruleset at some point.

no

you don't understand the extension

the party formation tab was already there, this extension splits the party formation window into 4, allowing you to simultaneously allocate formation for

underground, outside travel, inside, forest

damned
September 28th, 2021, 04:48
I had a look over the weekend and spent about an hour on it and couldnt see that I was making a lot of progress.
I probably wont be spending any more time on this sorry.

Zygmunt Molotch
September 28th, 2021, 04:55
no problem, I'll have a go myself with the help of the hive mind, and report back!