PDA

View Full Version : Constant Crashes part deux

krb243
February 26th, 2016, 21:06
I have an Ultimate license. since the last update my players on FG have also been crashing with the Non-Responding message. I've also unloaded and reloaded FG completely, but with the same results. I open up a second FG instance and try to connect to my game and sometimes it lets me in before it dies a Non-responding death and sometimes it dies before that, but yes I can get in...sometimes. I've tried it with only store-bought rulesets and still bad news. it seems as though the program bogs down and dies (it uses 4gb of RAM but I have 32gb and have nothing else running so that shouldn't be an issue). before the last update there wasn't a problem, so I'm suspecting maybe a bug in the code? maybe a little RAID would help? anyway, FG is useless for my games at the moment and I have to revert back to Screen Monkey. Save me from Screen Monkey!!! :D

Trenloe
February 26th, 2016, 21:29
(it uses 4gb of RAM but I have 32gb and have nothing else running so that shouldn't be an issue).
This is exactly the issue. The current version of FG is a 32-bit executable, compiled with large memory access enabled - which means that FG can use a maximum of 4GB of memory, even if the operating system is 64-bit and the computer has much more memory available. FG will crash when it's memory use approaches 4GB on a 64-bit Windows platform - in practice you'll start experiencing "strange" issues around 3.5GB+

You'll have to try to reduce the amount of memory FG is using. A few things to do are:

Only have the absolute necessary tokens in your <FG App data>\tokens directory. These are all loaded into memory when you start FG. Move tokens into modules and activate as and when needed.
Reduce the amount of modules you have open. Only have the ones open that you need, and close those that you rarely use or don't need during your game.
Reduce the size of large maps/images you're using.
Close large images/maps once you've used them - don't leave them open or minimized. You can always open them again from the image list.

ddavison
February 26th, 2016, 21:41
You can wrap your tokens into various modules so that you can open and close them in themed sets as you need them.

krb243
February 26th, 2016, 22:27
well that all makes sense, thanks i'll do those things. however, I never had this problem before. is it a recent change to the coding or was I just lucky the past several years? now I'm just curious.

Moon Wizard
February 26th, 2016, 22:35
It's probably an accumulation issue. As more modules are opened and more tokens are adding and more items within your campaign are being used, it's probably been slowly creeping upwards.

Regards,
JPG

damned
February 26th, 2016, 23:19
and if you are playing 5e do NOT share the MM, DMG or any published Adventures....

krb243
February 27th, 2016, 00:48
moved a few, ok several hundred, tokens. I didn't realize how many I had in my tokens folder. they must have the sexual appetites of rabbits?!?! went from 4gb to 500mb which is very manageable. now I need to reconfigure a few homemade modules to separate different subjects rather than using general topics. thanks for the help all! :D