PDA

View Full Version : Effects modifier help

Graylock
February 26th, 2016, 17:50
Hey all. I'm having trouble creating the effect modifier code for a magic item. It's armor that provides resistance to bludgeoning weapons. That part I got. However, if the armor is struck by a critical hit from a piercing weapon the armor is destroyed, eliminating its +3 AC bonus. I can't figure out how to write the effect modifier for that. I know one of you journeymen will find this easy. Thanks!

Zacchaeus
February 26th, 2016, 17:56
You don't say for which ruleset but assuming 5e there isn't a way you can do this, at least not automatically. You can't test for a critical hit so the best you can do would be to apply an effect manually (AC:-3) once a critical is scored.

Actually reading your post again if the armour gets destroyed then you'll need more than just eliminate the bonus you'll need to eliminate the armour - so the PC should just remove it from his character sheet.

Graylock
February 27th, 2016, 17:20
Okay thanks. Is there a way to have a text message appear in the chat window after a critical hit? Such as CRITICAL: piercing, [Armor Destroyed]. That would help remind me. ;-)

Zacchaeus
February 27th, 2016, 17:38
No, there's no effects which controls or causes text output. The best you can do is to make a 'dummy' effect (one which does nothing) as a reminder and apply that to the PC. Of course if the PC realises that the armour isn't any use then they'd probably just get rid of it so there'd be no need for the effect :)