PDA

View Full Version : Rise of the Runelords' Hook Mountain Clanhold Battlemap

Chorpa
February 26th, 2016, 13:40
I am preparing the last part of Hook Mountain Massacre adventure from the Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. The maps I pulled from the PDF doesn't translate well with the 10 foot grid into FG so I was wondering if anyone have another good map of the Clanhold (preferably with no or 5 foot grid). It would save me the tedious work of having to recreate the map in CC3. ;)

Milke
August 6th, 2016, 17:32
Not to ruin your fun of looking for more maps, but couldn't you just double up on the squares for the one-square-equals-ten-feet maps, when you lay the FG grid down?

Chorpa
August 8th, 2016, 10:46
The problem was not really the 10 foot squares but instead that the actual map is so small and low resolution from the PDF of the adventure so it couldn't lay a proper 5' grid because of the low resolution. Should have explained it better that I wanted a higher resolution map. No grids or 5' grids instead would just have been a welcome bonus.

LordEntrails
August 8th, 2016, 18:33
Ah, I don't know about these maps, but often times if you can find the author of the map, they will have high resolution versions of their maps available from purchase on their own websites. Mike Schley is great about this, but lots of other cartographers do this as well.

Milke
August 8th, 2016, 20:29
Ah, gotcha. I had never had any problem with the maps pulled off of the PDFs. In fact, I love how when I copy them, they are sans room numbers and secret door labels. That way it's easier to use them for player maps. But I've actually started working on a RotRL campaign set-up on here, so I'll pay attention when I get to those big 10ft sq maps.

kalnaren
August 10th, 2016, 13:38
As I'm doing RotRL right now I'm going to get around to making one, unfortunately my schedule is pretty packed the next while and I don't know when I'll get to it.

damned
August 10th, 2016, 14:07
The problem was not really the 10 foot squares but instead that the actual map is so small and low resolution from the PDF of the adventure so it couldn't lay a proper 5' grid because of the low resolution. Should have explained it better that I wanted a higher resolution map. No grids or 5' grids instead would just have been a welcome bonus.

Chorpra what I sometime so when upsizing maps because of low resolution is scale it up first and then run a Selective Gaussian Blur 10/30 and occasionally an Unsharp Mask.

kalnaren
August 10th, 2016, 14:24
Chorpra what I sometime so when upsizing maps because of low resolution is scale it up first and then run a Selective Gaussian Blur 10/30 and occasionally an Unsharp Mask.

I was just going to try this on the Hook Mountain Clanhold map.. decided to load it into MapAlign first. Ugh.. Paizo maps are usually a little inconsistent with their grid but that map is absolutely godawful. The grid changes size numerous times. I really wish Paizo would fix whatever method they use to downscale their maps for publication. They claim they make the PDFs so DMs can easily pull out the maps for VTTs but their grid scales are unbelievably inconsistent.

Trenloe
August 10th, 2016, 19:12
Good tip. The unsharp mask (which actually sharpens) is the key thing for me when upsizing maps.

damned
August 11th, 2016, 00:14
Good tip. The unsharp mask (which actually sharpens) is the key thing for me when upsizing maps.

I tend not to use it if Ive been removing or softening grids though as it brings em back to life!

Trenloe
August 11th, 2016, 01:01
I tend not to use it if Ive been removing or softening grids though as it brings em back to life!
I think you need to do a map image manipulation thread. :)

damned
August 11th, 2016, 03:59
I think you need to do a map image manipulation thread. :)

I can start one but what I know is only a fraction of what some of you guys do.... I know what works for me but there is plenty I dont know...

Trenloe
August 11th, 2016, 19:46
I can start one but what I know is only a fraction of what some of you guys do.... I know what works for me but there is plenty I dont know...
Please start it and people can add to it. You've obviously got some good ideas about what to apply when sizing up, how to reduce the appearance of a grid, etc.. Those are all very handy tips to share. :)

Ferrin
August 11th, 2016, 23:24
I am preparing the last part of Hook Mountain Massacre adventure from the Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords Adventure Path. The maps I pulled from the PDF doesn't translate well with the 10 foot grid into FG so I was wondering if anyone have another good map of the Clanhold (preferably with no or 5 foot grid). It would save me the tedious work of having to recreate the map in CC3. ;)

Here is a bunch of maps (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2i3wa&page=22?Community-Created-Stuff) for RoTL, scroll down the page looking for DigitalMystics Post, you can't miss it it has a lot of map links.

But, I believe this is the map (https://imgur.com/hTTBP4Z)you are looking for specifically?

Milke
August 12th, 2016, 00:37
Wow. ha. This stuff is all way over my head. I'm lucky someone told me about the mapalign tool, and dungeonpainter lets you choose the number of pixels of your map. So I can match the squares exactly to the number of pixels I chose when I made the map. But unsharpers, etc. ha. Yeesh!

Rather than start a whole new thread, I'll just ask y'all here. What do you guys do as far as maps with secret doors, etc, when you're making a campaign (especially one you'll share with others). Do you just upload the map with indicators, and tell the people to use a mask to cover them? Or do you supply a GM's map and a player's map?

damned
August 12th, 2016, 01:08
I rarely do GM maps any more - I just use the Pins to tell me the info I need.
If I have a map with a secret door I omit the door completely and place a pin there That way the wall is indistinguishable to the players eyes and reduces meta gaming.
Especially if you are mapping with pyromancers - thats what I would do.

LordEntrails
August 12th, 2016, 04:19
I do both. Mainly because as a GM I fail to realize that a pin might represent a secret door.

If you do both or just use pins depends on your audience, IMO. If you are doing it for yourself, then do whichever makes the most sense to you. If you are looking to distribute it to others, then I would do both, a GM map and a Player map with pins.

kalnaren
August 12th, 2016, 13:20
I have the PDF Folio for RotRL anniversary edition, that lets you pull out the map tags and all that jazz from the official maps. But yea, otherwise I don't do GM maps in the VTT itself. I just use pins (with notes) and have the GM version printed or the PDF open while I run the adventure.

Trenloe
August 12th, 2016, 17:11
What do you guys do as far as maps with secret doors, etc, when you're making a campaign (especially one you'll share with others). Do you just upload the map with indicators, and tell the people to use a mask to cover them? Or do you supply a GM's map and a player's map?
If the map has spoilers on it, then I'll usually create a GM version (usually scaled down in size a bit, as this is just a quick reference view) and a player version with the spoilers removed. If these are embedded in the map, then you'll need to use a graphics app clone tool - Xorn shows how to do this starting at 2:50 in this very handy video on map prep here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/tutorial/xorne-rescale-1a.wmv It's shown using Paint Shop Pro, but the same process can be used with the clone tool in GIMP! for example.

Chorpa
August 15th, 2016, 09:09
Here is a bunch of maps (https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2i3wa&page=22?Community-Created-Stuff) for RoTL, scroll down the page looking for DigitalMystics Post, you can't miss it it has a lot of map links.

But, I believe this is the map (https://imgur.com/hTTBP4Z)you are looking for specifically?

Yes that was exactly the map I was looking for. Thanks. Plenty of other good tips too.
Unfortunately our Rise of the Runelords campaign has come to a stop. To much bad attendance toward the end and hard to plan in dates for gaming especially when I have other groups competing for time to play so took the decision to end the campaign. But will probably revisit the campaign in the future. Got damn I will complete the the full campaign at least once! :rv:

Now I am eagerly awaiting a ruleset for Mythras (Old RuneQuest 6) for Fantasy Grounds since that is the current game we run. :D