PDA

View Full Version : HELP: DM/GM wants to set up FG over VPN to traverse NAT needs done by Feb 27 eve

IrishBouzouki
February 26th, 2016, 00:14
I live in a rural area with no CableTV boradband or FIOS and even the local phone company (Verizon) does not have DSL although the area all around me does with another, smaller, company.

That means cellular and satellite are my internet options. So I am on Verizon's 4G LTE network using a little indoor router they sell. VZW uses NAT and firewall and (a) do not provide a public facing IP address that a subscriber can use for anything and (b) do not forward ports or allow incoming requests to their NAT translated addresses.

So I am stuck with Hamachi or a VPN.

My idea is use the VPN to tunnel through Verizon Wireless' NAT and Firewalls to the VPN server, which has a public IP address. Players can log on there just like would my own computer if I had a public IP address. The VPN supposedly handles all the port connections etc. In fact I am led to understand the little "tester" in the FG launcher even works this way which is very cool for me.

So feeling real great about this I went and signed up for a 3-day free trial on VyprVPN (Golden Frog) to see if it would work. It did not work. The VPN itself seemed to have trouble, the public IP address display got stuck on "detecting" forever and worse yet, when I launched FG it too hung as soon as I tried to do anything that reached out to find that public IP address. Was told by their excellent support they do not support use for hosting a FG game and so I dropped that service before the end of the trial period. I think it was just a matter of being the wrong VPN to try. I picked it because it seemed a little more middle of road and business oriented. I am not looking to avoid the NSA scrutiny or engage in secret criminal activities or all the other things that the VPN companies seem to advertise for, nor am I ready to start mining bitcoins to pay for it. I just want to run a freaking D&D game from forgotten rural America for crying out loud!

Trenloe wrote up a thread about this where he mentions HideMyAss and PureVPN.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20160-Using-a-VPN-Service-Provider-to-get-around-port-forwarding-issues

I am wondering if some kind soul would help an aspiring DM/GM figure out how to get this set up and working?

I am hosting my first FG game this Saturday the 27th at 7pm GMT-5. I have 2-3 other games before then as a player and I have to work tomorrow, and I would like to give my players a chance to log in early and set up their characters.

I checked my Windows 7 firewall and there is already a Fantasy Grounds rule there that opens everything up to that application over TCP or UDP. I think that is set up that way by default?

Thanks

damned
February 26th, 2016, 01:37
Irish - PM me your details and Ill contact you. We are in opposing Timezones but I should be able to help you out.

Ellspeth
February 27th, 2016, 00:37
And it is working, Irish tells me we have you to thank Damned.

IrishBouzouki
February 27th, 2016, 00:54
Yep damned was a huge help figuring out the last few things to set up, tested it, rolled a dang 20 on his first try even! "Boom!"
I am good to go to start running games now!

edit - In case anyone stumbles here later...
1. HMA VPN works out of the box, given you do the following...
2. You do still have to set up a rule on Windows Firewall (or whatever you use) to allow *incoming* traffic on port 1802 for Fantasy Grounds and to allow Fantasy Grounds use of both private *and public* networks.

This was true even though another user had been able, a couple weeks ago, to log onto my game server over the LAN.

Once you do this, you can pass the little connection test in the load campaign page, and your players can log in without having to install any other software.
I very happy now.