PDA

View Full Version : Managing details session to session?

ryntak4536
February 25th, 2016, 21:57
Hi all-

I searched for this, but couldn't come across anything easily.

Using FG, how do you (as GM) manage what has been made known to players, what hasn't, and how things are to change from one session to the next based on player actions?

I've used FG in the past - and love it for the most part - but found that I was almost stuck in a 'railroading the pcs' situation because they had to do this this and this, and there wasn't much ability to change things up on the fly with the layout of FG.

So, how do you guys handle this, using FG?
Thanks!

GunnarGreybeard
February 25th, 2016, 21:59
If you use the text chat in FG it generates a log file (in .html format) with everything that was posted to the chat screen. Also, it continually appends new data to that chat log and not overwrite the previous/existing content.

jshauber
February 25th, 2016, 22:06
As for what has been shared with PCs like maps/images/notes/etc. each entry will have an "s" icon next to it to show that it has been shared, of no icon then it hasn't been.

There are various ways to give a more sandboxxie feel to your games. Have random encounters made and ready to go as needed depending on where your PCs wander off to. You can also grab maps from the map pack and just drag over NPCs directly to combat tracker and then map to make a quick encounter that you were expecting. You can talk your way thru a description while you get it all ready or take a quick break and when they get back you are set to go.

I always have a handful of random encounters that are pre-made with maps/encounters all linked that I can pull up on the fly and keep things moving. You should also check out https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20794-DOE-Locations-Extension to set up locations that the characters might visit in advance to save some time. You don't need a lot of detail and anything you come up with can be entered in case the players return.

Also I always keep a note open in game for myself to use for noting things the characters mention or overlook so that I can use those as drivers later if I need an idea to prod them into action again.

Zacchaeus
February 25th, 2016, 22:30
One thing I'd add to the excellent advice above and that is use story entries to keep notes. Don't use notes since they won't export if you ever export the module.

Nylanfs
February 25th, 2016, 23:33
You can also have important events in the calendar so you can remember when you did stuff

damned
February 26th, 2016, 01:31
Have one of the players write up their version of events after each session and (GM) add it to the Calendar. Then its there for everyone when they need to go back. If the players omitted to record something important... well thats the way it goes :)

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 02:08
If you use the text chat in FG it generates a log file (in .html format) with everything that was posted to the chat screen. Also, it continually appends new data to that chat log and not overwrite the previous/existing content.

One thing I love about this community, I never feel stupid asking questions. Where may I find this chat log of which you speak?

Griogre
February 26th, 2016, 02:21
The chat log is on the GM's computer in the campaign folder, and is a an html file called chatlog.html

Ellspeth
February 26th, 2016, 02:28
Thanks Griogre, found it, amazingly helpful, thanks Gunnar for the tip.

LordEntrails
February 26th, 2016, 06:01
@Elspeth, their is also a chat log scrubber somewhere. I remember reading a post or wiki entry on it long ago. If I remember correctly, they were using it to post their sessions logs to Obsidian Portal or such and it helped cleanout the admin type of stuff.

GunnarGreybeard
February 26th, 2016, 07:09
There is this one Chat Log Scrubber (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?8133-Chat-Log-Scrubber-released) but its pretty old so not sure it still works.