Echoes of him have been heard
Spiritually he is all intact
Die upon the ravens, it's what his eyes don't see
Hear him drag the rope that goes up to the hangman's tree

The wind calls your name, get out of your bed
Go on out to the hills, the wind will lead
Just when we prevail, the hangman is here

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome one and all. I'm back after a long DMing hiatus and would like to try my hand at running a 4E game. My last DMing stint on FG lasted about two years and kept two of the original four players throughout the life of the game. I have a few adventures planned in Faerun, which will likely evolve into a full scale campaign. For the moment, I'm planning only on a jaunt through the heroic tier. Enough about me, lets get into the details:

System: 4E D&D
Campaign Setting: Forgotten Realms
Year/Date: 14 Hammer 1479 Year of the Ageless One
Starting Region: Zhentil Keep, Moonsea.

Characters:

3 - 5 players covering all roles
Starting at level 1
No hybrid classes
I'm going to require that all applicants have a written background for their character detailing the characters background, motivations, family, etc. I'm more than happy to work with an applicant to flesh out their character with specifics, but I'd like to get a basic idea of what the character has accomplished to date, what are their motivations, dreams, aspirations, etc. In the interest of party cohesion, I will not be accepting of characters of evil alignment.
EMAIL ME YOUR CONCEPT PLEASE!!!! It doesn't need to be a book, but I cant check this thread during the day while I'm working, so I wont be able to respond unless I am emailed. If emailed, I generally respond within an hour or so.

Real Life Stuff:

Game Day: Wednesday
Game Time: 6pm - 10pm EST (Eastern Standard Time)
Text Only - I don't use voice chat programs at all, so its all text based in my games
I am reachable through this thread, PM on the forum, via email ([email protected]).
Also, I am a full license user, so you must have lite license or greater to play in this game.

Working knowledge of Forgotten Realms is a plus, but not required. Realize that playing in this campaign setting there are nuances that are different from the core handbooks (Deities for example) that are crucial to the game mechanics. I can provide any background information that is necessary for the game.

Languages will be used in this game, so be prepared to take that into consideration when planning your character.

Start date will be determined when the party fills up, which could be as early as next week, depending on when everyone's availability. Anyhow, feel free to shoot me any questions or post them here. :)

Lastly, here is a "cut-scene" from the campaign, so those of you who havent gamed with me can get a feel for my writing style and a bit of what this campaign will be like:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rough wooden shacks dominated the riverfront, only occasionally broken up by the shattered outcropping of a stone pier or shattered crystalline spire that were ruins of the old keep. It had been picked over fervently, and thoroughly, and what was left was infested with the dregs of the world. People and creatures that were outcasts elsewhere, found a place of inclusion here. It was as if all of the people of the world that had been swept into the cracks and crevices of upstanding society were deposited here, on the north shore of the remains of the once proud Zhentil Keep. Truly, it was a thriving town now, but it was built on a foundation of thievery, slavery and the idea that anything could be purchased with enough coin.

A cage filled with a dozen dirty elven children is dragged to a grouping of tarp covered cages, each movement drawing a low chorus of mild groans from those that still had the energy to do so. An emaciated looking dwarf barters with a pair of ursine looking orcs – bugbears perhaps – over the contents of a cage of human children. The transaction goes quickly, and the cage is hoisted onto a makeshift cart before being wheeled away to some horrible fate. None bat an eye at the wailing cargo being hauled away, as merchants continue to hawk their wares to the teeming masses that push their way, drudgingly through the muddy streets.

Everything seems spattered with the ruddy red-brown mud, though the glint of shining steel draws an eye as a group of well-armed men push through the rabble, shoving those unfortunate enough to not move in a timely fashion into puddles, stalls and manure in order to make way for the unit. A prominent tabard of an upraised black gauntlet is displayed on all of the men, who use this symbol to cow those that would not respond to their boisterous vocal threats. Even orogs and ogres startle at the display of those tabards, moving quickly to leave the vicinity of that display. The men crowd into a map makers stall, two cornering the merchant and berating him, while the others tear through the tables, searching out something in the wares present, tossing those that do not meet their interest into the mud, while a pair of the group stand at the edge of the stall, turning away those that would stop and gawk at the scene.

Even as the populace moves past the scene, lowering eyes and averting gazes from the vendor’s stall, a cry goes up from those guards, one grabbing his throat as a crimson spray erupts from between his fingers. He opens his mouth in an attempt to say something to his wide-eyed comrade, but only blood spills forth, as a sharpened shard of steel is exposed through the bottom of his mouth – a shuriken or flingbar having caught him at the base of the throat and tearing upwards through the floor of his mouth. Within seconds, the guard falls to the ground, his lifeblood pumping weakly, while the other tabard-ed men search wildly for the culprit. A urchin points to the stalls across the avenue, where a figure cloaked in tans and taupes flees the shadows of the stall, pressing deeper into the crowd, shouting, “You cannot begin to know the power of the goddess, Zhent dogs!”

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Party Line up so far:

Human Wizard
Drow Avenger
Claimed (Concept Building)
Unclaimed
Unclaimed
Unclaimed

-

Vuroth
February 25th, 2016, 13:48
Email sent.

Skillkoil
February 25th, 2016, 17:28
I would really be interested if you updated to 5E.

Oak
February 25th, 2016, 18:18
I would really be interested if you updated to 5E.

Well, that wont be happening, but I appreciate the interest.

Two positions have been accounted for thus far and we're leaning towards a Wednesday game day.

Oak
February 26th, 2016, 15:18
All emails and PMs responded to. Please read the description of the game and its mechanics above. No hybrid classes!

Game days will be Wednesdays 6pm - 10 pm EST

We currently have 2-3 players of the 5-6 that I would like for the group. The only character thats nearly fully realized is a controller (Wizard). Striker, Defender and Leader types still needed!

Happy Gaming!

Oak
February 28th, 2016, 23:10
Leader, controller and striker roles confirmed... need a meat shield and then we'd be ready to rock and roll...

Tarkhel
February 29th, 2016, 22:40
Hello, there. I never was properly introduced to 4E, and I have books enough to play, so I'd love to throw my hat in. If possible, I'd like you to PM me and we can throw some ideas around.

Thanks for your consideration. :)

Oak
February 29th, 2016, 23:26
Emails and PMs responded too. :)

Oak
March 15th, 2016, 02:47
Do to a time conflict, we've lost our defender. We're about to start session two this week, so if we can find someone interested, I might be able to work you in this week. Thegroup is currently comprised of:

Drow Avenger
Human Shaman
Human Wizard
Githzerai Seeker

A warden would be an extremely nice fit, but really any defender would work. Shoot me a PM or email if you are interested.

Oak
March 17th, 2016, 04:20
All filled up at the moment...

Oak
September 26th, 2016, 04:48
Im opening the game for another player. We have a full crew running right now, but lack a religious anchor at the moment. The party could benefit from a cleric, paladin or other leader-esque type with some party 'face' value (someone that wants to talk to other people). Here's the party line up:

Human Wizard
Human Shaman
Human Warden
Halfling Rogue
Githzerai Seeker

We're at level 6 at the moment and adventuring in and around the Moonsea. The players are all great and have well thought out and richly developed characters. Any submissions should keep that in mind, as character development is one of the main focuses in my games. Please send me an email with your character concept and we can talk about character creation specifics then.

Game night is every Wednesday 6-10pm EST

While Id like a religious character, I'll take anything that has a great background and concept. Send me an email to [email protected] with the Subject: Hangman's Body Count Character and we'll go from there. Below is a link to the obsidian portal site for this game for your convenience.

https://thehangmansbodycount.obsidianportal.com/

Oak
September 27th, 2016, 17:43
Had a bit of a lineup change going on, so while Im still looking for another body, it doesnt necessarily have to be a leader type.

Human Wizard
Half-elf Bard
Human Warden
Halfling Rogue
Githzerai Seeker

Let me know if you're interested in sitting in on a session to get a feel of the game/player/DM dynamic. :)

Oak
September 27th, 2016, 17:43
A bit of game log in case you need something to whet your appetite:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The group found themselves at an impasse after the extremely bizarre encounter with the paladin Levia Shadowalker. It was at the end of the battle where their charge, Mirabeta seemingly cast a healing spell on the entire group, though it was suffused with shadow energy. Upon taking another night to think about what they were doing, Hudson and River took it upon themselves to leave the group, taking Mirabeta along with them, to find the paladin and perhaps prevent the Corymrean government from executing the prisoner once she was handed over. Izual, Quinn and Xila awoke to find their comrades gone, with only a simple note marking their passage. Luckily, Izual was more than able to track down the pair, and as the morning sun crested the hills, the group caught up to their rogue friends and made up, determined to blaze a new trail ahead – one that did not involve the Cormyreans. With the help of Xila, the group did determine that Suzail would be their best bet, as the halfling had a contact there that might be able to give the group more options. Taking up the only room at a wayward Inn on the outskirts of the sprawling metropolis, the group awaited Xila’s contact, which, surprisingly, seemed to be awaiting Xila’s arrival. A meeting at the Inn was established and it would be up to Xila to barter for help for their charge – and help without garnering the notice of the Purple Dragons, who would be looking for the group to arrive with Mirabeta.

The Inn has well past emptied when the woman entered the main room, her dark hair tied back, revealing half elven ears and intricate earrings that appear to be small knives. She wears well-worn leathers and has a pair of golden cuffs at her wrists that look to be function and decorative at the same time. She takes a perfunctory look around the empty room and shrugs, taking a seat at an empty table. “T’s on you, Xila. Your move, girl.”
Xila checks to make sure none of the other party members are around.

No one is in the main room. Your subtle bribe of the innkeeper made him close up early. The rest of the party is upstairs and sitting with Mirabeta.

Xila heads over to take a seat.
Xila: Hiya!
Nualla nods, “You’re late.”
Xila: Couldn’t be helped, some companions of mine decided they wanted to go the wrong way.
Nualla: Things like that happen. Better question is why aren’t you in Suzail? Word is you were moving cargo for the Crown.
Xila: Yeeeah, that’s kinda why they went the wrong way. Others in the group had a change of heart; they wanted to go one way. I had to persuade them to come here. They’re all upstairs now, I told em I’d hurt them if they came down while we were chatting.
Nualla: Probably better that way. Talons business tends to make others squeamish. So, are you planning on turning in this cargo?
Xila: Me? I don’t care either way. Although the coin would be nice. The others? Not so much, I kinda had to tell them about this meeting, although they don’t know what it’s for… neither do I come to think of it. They figured maybe I can persuade you to give us other options.
Nualla: Options for what? If you plan on running with your cargo, you might as well hang yourself now. The Crown and us aren’t on great terms, but they’re better than most – and their mage has a nose for finding things that ought not to be found. I’m not wanting to get on Vainrence’s bad side. What are you moving – magical bauble? Netherese artifact?
Xila: This weird person infused with shadow energy, y’know the usual stuff
Xila: They figured since she’s a living person, it’d be bad to turn her over just to be killed
Nualla raises an eyebrow, shutting her mouth for a moment. After a moment, she begins to nod, “Selkirk, then? Figured the elves offed her back in Myth Drannor.”

Xila: Yup, that’s the one.
Nualla: Seems odd the Crown would just off her if they are stashing her somewhere. What exactly are you planning then? IF you don’t hand her over, then the Crowns going to come after you. Are you ready to go to the gallows for this woman?
Xila: Me personally? Nope, not a chance. I’d happily hand her over for the coin if I had the chance, the others though; yeah I think they’re willing to die for this woman.
Nualla: Hmmm…

Nualla: Word is that Selkirk was addled – mind was tied up in knots. She was unstable when they found her after that stint in the drow city. That sound about right?
Xila: Yup, kept saying the same thing over and over… although for some reason I can’t ever remember what she says.
Xila: She had a brief moment of clarity though, that’s what persuaded the others not to turn her in, Hudson says she said “help me”
Nualla: Figures messing around with primordials and filthy devil elf magic would warp your brain.
Nualla fiddles with a ring on her finger, straining as if to listen to something faintly. “Might be a way to help her. But what’s the pay off if you do, aside from your cover would be happy?”

Xila: Pay off? I don’t know, I won’t get paid for it, which would be a bad thing.
Xila: I guess, doing a good deed?
Nualla frowns.
Xila looks a bit puzzled by the thought
Nualla: You almost have yourself convinced, girl.
Nualla: Better yet, Selkirk’s loaded – she’s the ruler over a nation – though Sembia is a bit in the dark right now – literally. You’ll be getting into bed with the Netherese and making you marked as an enemy by Cormyr. Not great sides to be on.
Nualla: Not entirely sure I want my prints on this either.
Xila: So, we turn her in, get paid, and make an enemy of netherese. Or we turn her into Netherese, get paid bucket loads, and make an enemy of Cormyr.
Xila: Tough decision
Nualla: I’m pretty sure the Shades will kill her and you before you can look at them sideways. But if we get involved with this, it casts us against Cormyr, and Netheril is on that side as well. Means working in Cormyr or Suzail would be more than difficult.
Xila frowns
Xila: Say… have you heard of this paladin type named Levia? That’s who the others were gonna turn her into before I persuaded them to come here.

Nualla: Sounds vaguely familiar… but I can’t place it. I can look into it, if you like, since you’ll be doing me three favors in place of this one I’ll do for you.
Xila: Three favors? Sounds fair.
Nualla: Seems like we’ll be able to help each other then. How are you with formal events?
Xila: Formal? Y’mean working with all those noble types? Blergh.
Xila: I can pick their pockets quicker than you can say “Oh dear” but talking to them? That’s a whole other thing.
Nualla: Working might not be the best term there, but you’ll definitely be among them. But let me start from the beginning and lay out the whole thing before we get ahead of ourselves.
Xila: Sure
Nualla: Purple Dragons and the War Wizards have been setting up for something big recently, and I’d guess it’s whatever they plan on doing with Selkirk. Lots of baubles been changing hands lately, and likely it has to do with all of the relic bits that are going into it. Some big ritual, I guess. Would steer clear of any clergy in town.
Nualla: But, I’m guessing that Selkirk is bunched up in her own mind and we gotta bust through whatever mental defenses she’s got put up around herself to get her broke outta that slog. There’s a bit of magic that’s within the city that might work. Cranky old bint named Grankleshard – big time magic merchant – has a bit of an elven relic… a kiira gem. Should be able to use that to break whatever’s blocking your marks head.
Nualla: Luckily, I originally called you here to ease into Grankleshard’s place for a personal favor, but it seems that you’ll need to go there for this elven relic as well. So, it works out rather well.

Nualla: Grankleshards having a big masked formal ball at his newly renovated estate in a few days, and that would be ‘in’ for you and your crew. The lil guys awfully fond of the adventurey type, and I can make arrangements for you to have invitations.
Nualla: While there, I have something else I’d like you to do for me, and that will take care of one of your owed favors.
Xila: Sounds awfully boring, but I guess I can do that.

Nualla: The gnomes not idle when it comes to protecting his items – he’ll have a good bit of magic and mundane protections, not to mention the guards as well. But, he’s not much on the War Wizards or the Crown in general, so he might be willing to let the magicy bit go for something.

Xila: I see, so we can bribe him for it… Or figure out a way to steal it.
Nualla: Either would work – there’s likely to be quite a rabble at the manor that night, so other opportunities may present themselves as well.

Oak
September 30th, 2016, 03:48
/bump

Oak
October 5th, 2016, 02:11
Still looking for another player

Oak
October 9th, 2016, 19:05
Still have an opening if interested.

Pramxnim
October 10th, 2016, 23:42
While I would love to play in another 4e campaign, I'm afraid the game time doesn't work with my current schedule. I saw in the calendar that there's a pending application from someone I'm playing with in a current 4e campaign here on Fantasy Grounds (Kezzt). I can vouch for him as someone who's invested in his character and is very passionate when it comes to character development.

I should get more free time in December, so I'll send you an email then in case you have a spot open in the game.

I hope you find a great player, and hope you guys have a blast playing!

Oak
October 11th, 2016, 01:24
Thanks! Kezzt has already been in contact with me :) I appreciate the note though

Oak
March 31st, 2017, 05:51
Looking to possibly add one more player to the mix. Most of the original players are still in the game - so we've got quite the party rapport. Level 8 at the moment - getting ready to wrap up chapter 3 of this adventure and there's a good spot to add another player. Im looking for someone thats team oriented and willing to invest some effort into the campaign. I build my campaigns around the players, integrating backgrounds and character development into the main plot of the story. Here's the current line up:

Human Shaman
Human Paladin
Human Wizard
Halfling Rogue
Dragonborn Warlord

All roles are filled, so the character would be pretty open - all of the important bits are still valid - game is Wednesday evening 6-10pm EST, text only and Id like a character concept emailed to me so we can talk about how to work things into the campaign. This is the Forgotten Realms setting, realms knowledge is suggested, but not required. Im happy to talk shop as well. Feel free to PM or email, though I prefer email. I can generally open the board to work on the character stuff there as well.